The Student Room Group

CTA Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jinchan
TaxBooster hasn’t been around for long, but the tutor is ex-Kaplan, so isn’t “new” so to speak.
You get what you pay for. Yes, the tutor is chaotic and is prone to rescheduling things all the time, but the courses are intended to supplement ‘real’ courses with BPP, Tolleys and Kaplan, not replace them. Anyone only doing a TaxBooster course and not a full taught course elsewhere is setting themselves up for a fail.
The cost of a TaxBooster course will get you maybe three hours with one of the higher end private tutors out there. (Private tutors are excellent, but hugely expensive - again, you get what you pay for.)
I know some people in real life who got through their resits with help from TaxBooster and swear blind by it. Others, not so successful.
Some tutors attract very Marmite-y opinions.
But I do take your point that if you’re the sort of person who likes a rigid schedule, a TaxBooster course may not be for you.

High key sus that you are a new user with only one post and you post this. I smell fake account, go advertise your stuff someplace else!

Guys if you want to know the good lecturers for this just look online for the free stuff and podcasts. Get a sample and see if you like it. Generally the main ones Kaplan BPP and Tolley are best and well proven. CIOT made a comment somewhere that those on a GPS course had significantly higher rates of passing the exams.
Reply 21
What exactly am I supposed to be advertising? All I did was point out the inaccuracies in your post...

And this is a throwaway account because I wasn't exactly being complimentary. It's well known that some people love Nit and Pards, and others cannot get on with one or both of them. They're both nice blokes, but they're acquired tastes. Deny that if you will...

I know people who have studied with Tolleys, Kaplan, BPP, TaxBooster and various private tutors, and the anecdotes vary. I don't think any of the tutors are terrible, but some of them really have distinctive personalities and teaching styles, and some people just don't click with them.

Unfortunately, none of the main three providers are willing to guarantee who is teaching a course before you sign up. I mean, you can guess at the main tutor by asking people from the last exam sitting, but you'll never be sure until the course starts. Commercially, I understand why they do that, but it's a shame for the students.

Of course, people on a GPS course have a significantly higher rate of passing the exams. Those courses are bloody expensive, so most of the people sitting them I'll wager are the ones on Big 4 contracts who are getting those courses fully funded and a shed load of study leave. So, it's not just the GPS course that makes them more likely to pass - it's all the other support that goes with it.

Unfortunately, the odds of passing CTA are higher the more money you can throw at it. I do know of a very good private tutor, but as I said, the cost of a whole TaxBooster course only equates to a couple of hours with that tutor. It's a really limited market as I don't think anyone from the main tutorial bodies is allowed to do private tuition. So, anyone offering tutor services can set their price high as there aren't many of them competing.

People in smaller firms and/or resitting and/or self-funding are more likely to try to scrimp where they can.

I think the odds of passing on a self-taught distance course are tiny, but there are options between GPS and self-taught. It's not just about extremes.

PS You say generally the main ones Kaplan, BPP and Tolleys are the best. I'm not actually sure there are any other ones offering full courses. I did look into this, and I think there was one other provider that did this in the past, but it's just been those three for ages. So they're not the main ones. They're the only ones. It's not exactly advice telling someone to pick one out of all of the available options - you haven't narrowed it down any!
Original post by jinchan
What exactly am I supposed to be advertising? All I did was point out the inaccuracies in your post...
And this is a throwaway account because I wasn't exactly being complimentary. It's well known that some people love Nit and Pards, and others cannot get on with one or both of them. They're both nice blokes, but they're acquired tastes. Deny that if you will...
I know people who have studied with Tolleys, Kaplan, BPP, TaxBooster and various private tutors, and the anecdotes vary. I don't think any of the tutors are terrible, but some of them really have distinctive personalities and teaching styles, and some people just don't click with them.
Unfortunately, none of the main three providers are willing to guarantee who is teaching a course before you sign up. I mean, you can guess at the main tutor by asking people from the last exam sitting, but you'll never be sure until the course starts. Commercially, I understand why they do that, but it's a shame for the students.
Of course, people on a GPS course have a significantly higher rate of passing the exams. Those courses are bloody expensive, so most of the people sitting them I'll wager are the ones on Big 4 contracts who are getting those courses fully funded and a shed load of study leave. So, it's not just the GPS course that makes them more likely to pass - it's all the other support that goes with it.
Unfortunately, the odds of passing CTA are higher the more money you can throw at it. I do know of a very good private tutor, but as I said, the cost of a whole TaxBooster course only equates to a couple of hours with that tutor. It's a really limited market as I don't think anyone from the main tutorial bodies is allowed to do private tuition. So, anyone offering tutor services can set their price high as there aren't many of them competing.
People in smaller firms and/or resitting and/or self-funding are more likely to try to scrimp where they can.
I think the odds of passing on a self-taught distance course are tiny, but there are options between GPS and self-taught. It's not just about extremes.
PS You say generally the main ones Kaplan, BPP and Tolleys are the best. I'm not actually sure there are any other ones offering full courses. I did look into this, and I think there was one other provider that did this in the past, but it's just been those three for ages. So they're not the main ones. They're the only ones. It's not exactly advice telling someone to pick one out of all of the available options - you haven't narrowed it down any!

deeply suspicious that you've set up a whole new account just to reply to my post with a lengthy rant. pretty sure you aren't a student at all. ARE you Nit or Pards??

Sure students don't know who the tutors are at BPP, kaplan or Tolley but on the whole they are extremely good. I assume there is some rigorous interview process especially for bpp. they all have a similar manner and style. I think taxbooster and some similar ones are just a one man shop but , a few CTAs are advertising themselves as private tutors with no tutoring experience and that can't be good, they cost the same or more as a regular course

Would love to know the pass rate and numbers of students going through BPP, KAPLAN, TOLLEY, and Taxbooster. it should be widely published and not just the GPS.

Yes there are other full time courses other than Tolley BPP and Kaplan. RMJPI london business academy for example.

I'm not narrowing the choice of provider down for students - just that they go with a reputable longstanding one of the big 3 providers with a proper course, not any dodgy ones

Personally BPP used to be great but they moved onto a mainly video based learning with really bad course admin and it was awful. Loads of Law students are hating it on my course. The tax students at BPP mainly are sponsored by their employer so don't have the choice. Tolley licences their written material to BPP and others, and they are the gold standard if you like loads of books and I imagine are great for distance students.

YES the fail rate for distance students is very high. but correlation does not indicate causation. many students choose distance learning due to juggling long working hours with no time off, or a young family, health conditions, or caring for relatives while working and studying and if you are not putting time due to other non study related reasons then you will fail regardless of the format. but that's not to say the distance course is bad or they are bad or lazy students.

There isn't much choice for CTA courses because there are not many students. Since CIOT removed the exemption for ACAs from the CTA case study, numbers have gone down a lot. Also one of the big 4 pulled most or all of their students from doing CTA as a first qualification. there's only like 1100 students taking ANY exam at one sitting. and that includes those on ACA CTA bridging courses. imagine most are sponsored by their employer so don't have much personal individual choice.
Reply 23
Well, here's a shorter rant for you then.

Have you actually sat any CTA exams yourself? On one hand, you seem to be holding yourself out as someone who knows a lot about CTA, but on the other, some of your comments are a bit... well, off. You accusing me of being someone else feels a lot like deflection...

I'd never heard of RMJPI London Business Academy... I don't suppose you work there? Had a quick Google and I can see they are indeed advertising CTA courses, but they're not listed on the CIOT website as an approved course provider: https://www.tax.org.uk/courseproviders

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending