The Student Room Group

separate igcse science vs double award

im studying a level biology, psychology, sociology and religious studies and need to take gcse science for diagnostic radiography.
i would prefer to have the separate awards as there’s 3 gcses rather than 2. however, aren’t the single sciences much harder or not by much?
would does anyone recommend me doing?
also what resources should i use? thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by alevelstudent090
im studying a level biology, psychology, sociology and religious studies and need to take gcse science for diagnostic radiography.
i would prefer to have the separate awards as there’s 3 gcses rather than 2. however, aren’t the single sciences much harder or not by much?
would does anyone recommend me doing?
also what resources should i use? thanks!

the single sciences are more in depth, therefore could be interpreted as harder but you’ll enjoy it more if you like science a lot!!! you should always go through the specification + do past paper questions to familiarise yourself with the exam (:
Original post by kzkzee
the single sciences are more in depth, therefore could be interpreted as harder but you’ll enjoy it more if you like science a lot!!! you should always go through the specification + do past paper questions to familiarise yourself with the exam (:

do you think i could take the igcses in 2024 so i can get them out of the way? i only need to pass them for university but i would rather do the separate sciences as it means more gcses i suppose. not sure what is better. also thank you so much:smile:
ive looked at past papers and all i can find is the double award papers 🤣
Reply 3
do you think i could take the igcses in 2024 so i can get them out of the way? i only need to pass them for university but i would rather do the separate sciences as it means more gcses i suppose. not sure what is better. also thank you so much:smile:
ive looked at past papers and all i can find is the double award papers 🤣

hmm, i think that would depend on your school / examination centre whether you can take it in 2024, and i also do think that the separate sciences would be more beneficial. personally i did aqa gcse and not igcse so i’m not too sure about the past papers, maybe start a diff thread?
Past papers are available free on save my exams website. I did edexcel IGCSE separate sciences and would recommend if you like sciences and find them interesting. I think doing them in 2024 is achievable especially if you only need to pass (though if you want good grades you'll have to work harder obvs)
Original post by kzkzee
hmm, i think that would depend on your school / examination centre whether you can take it in 2024, and i also do think that the separate sciences would be more beneficial. personally i did aqa gcse and not igcse so i’m not too sure about the past papers, maybe start a diff thread?

yes, i can take it in 2024 but it will be more expensive once it gets closer to exams:frown: so before september i need to make my decision cos prices go up after september and also when it gets to like february the prices are almost double😨. thank you!! i shall make another thread:smile:

Original post by catsforever1154
Past papers are available free on save my exams website. I did edexcel IGCSE separate sciences and would recommend if you like sciences and find them interesting. I think doing them in 2024 is achievable especially if you only need to pass (though if you want good grades you'll have to work harder obvs)

yes, i do enjoy science:smile: . i love both biology & physics, not so good at chemistry but it will be ok! i would probably aim for 5s /6s in bio and physics and a 4 in chem. all i need is a 4 so idm as long as i pass as im more focused on a level grades :smile:. is there more content compared to double science??
yes, i can take it in 2024 but it will be more expensive once it gets closer to exams:frown: so before september i need to make my decision cos prices go up after september and also when it gets to like february the prices are almost double😨. thank you!! i shall make another thread:smile:

yes, i do enjoy science:smile: . i love both biology & physics, not so good at chemistry but it will be ok! i would probably aim for 5s /6s in bio and physics and a 4 in chem. all i need is a 4 so idm as long as i pass as im more focused on a level grades :smile:. is there more content compared to double science??

hii sorry didn't check tsr. Yeah there's def more content in the separate sciences, it's all the double award content plus a fair bit more on top of that for paper 2 of each subject. It's worth it imo but I'd recommend checking out the specification so you can see for yourself how much extra there is and whether it looks interesting/like something you'd be willing to put a lot of work into.

Quick Reply

Latest