The Student Room Group

Maths

What to start doing from now to get a 7,8 or 9 in GCSE Mathematics
Reply 1

Do past papers as often as possible, maybe make a schedule (aim to have ALL the higher tier maths past papers for your exam board complete by the time GCSEs roll around). You don't necessarily have to get a teacher to mark them, but if you are self-marking, apply the mark scheme as harshly as is reasonably. You will not regret it when exam season comes around. Maybe get a teacher to mark the first few past papers you do just to get the gist of how harsh an actual examiner will be.

Memorise your formulae off by heart and how to apply them (you may have a formula sheet but frankly you shouldn't need it unless you are calculating the volume of a pyramid or cone or something, as it wastes valuable time in the exam)

Print off the content pages of the spec and highlight everything that you already know confidently (i.e. the things you will never forget in a million years). Then highlight the stuff you vaguely know in another colour, and finally highlight the stuff you have no idea about. Revise the stuff highlighted in the last two colours.

It doesn't matter if you haven't covered it yet, learn the stuff you don't know. The topics in GCSE maths are quite easy anyway, so it's better to learn it twice than realise last minute that your teacher forgot to teach you something (happened to a lot of kids in my year's lower maths sets)

Note down what scores you get in each past paper so you can check your progress and also make a list of all the mistakes you made in a past paper and revise those things before attempting the next one.

I got a 9 in maths (96%) and a 9 in further maths (93%) so feel free to ask more questions if you want.
Reply 2
Original post by KWad

Do past papers as often as possible, maybe make a schedule (aim to have ALL the higher tier maths past papers for your exam board complete by the time GCSEs roll around). You don't necessarily have to get a teacher to mark them, but if you are self-marking, apply the mark scheme as harshly as is reasonably. You will not regret it when exam season comes around. Maybe get a teacher to mark the first few past papers you do just to get the gist of how harsh an actual examiner will be.

Memorise your formulae off by heart and how to apply them (you may have a formula sheet but frankly you shouldn't need it unless you are calculating the volume of a pyramid or cone or something, as it wastes valuable time in the exam)

Print off the content pages of the spec and highlight everything that you already know confidently (i.e. the things you will never forget in a million years). Then highlight the stuff you vaguely know in another colour, and finally highlight the stuff you have no idea about. Revise the stuff highlighted in the last two colours.

It doesn't matter if you haven't covered it yet, learn the stuff you don't know. The topics in GCSE maths are quite easy anyway, so it's better to learn it twice than realise last minute that your teacher forgot to teach you something (happened to a lot of kids in my year's lower maths sets)

Note down what scores you get in each past paper so you can check your progress and also make a list of all the mistakes you made in a past paper and revise those things before attempting the next one.

I got a 9 in maths (96%) and a 9 in further maths (93%) so feel free to ask more questions if you want.

The exam is in summer and I haven’t dont any maths yet and I’m currently getting 5s is it too late to start revising?

Is there any tuition you know of that extremely good?
Do you know of revisionboost and whether it’s good?
Original post by Menaheel.x
The exam is in summer and I haven’t dont any maths yet and I’m currently getting 5s is it too late to start revising?

Refer to GCSE maths tutor and maths genie and past papers as your main resources, as those help me a lot
Reply 4
Original post by Menaheel.x

It's almost never too late to start revising, and given that your exam is in summer, you do have plenty of time (saying it's too late to start revising is often just an excuse). However, you will need to organise your revision properly and put in a fair bit of effort if you want to go from a 5 to a top grade.

I have never needed tuition, so I could not possibly recommend any, but I can tell you from experience tuition is not at all a requirement in order to get a top grade (Thats not to say tuition is useless, but getting 7-9s is entirely possible, and reasonably achievable, without it).

Also, I have never heard of revisionboost.
Reply 5
Original post by KWad
It's almost never too late to start revising, and given that your exam is in summer, you do have plenty of time (saying it's too late to start revising is often just an excuse). However, you will need to organise your revision properly and put in a fair bit of effort if you want to go from a 5 to a top grade.

I have never needed tuition, so I could not possibly recommend any, but I can tell you from experience tuition is not at all a requirement in order to get a top grade (Thats not to say tuition is useless, but getting 7-9s is entirely possible, and reasonably achievable, without it).

Also, I have never heard of revisionboost.

Do you recommend any YouTube channels?
As of yet I’ll be harsh and say that I’m working at a grade 4 so shall I start doing worksheets for grade 4 students and then work my way up? Or shall I start with the grade 7 worksheets (that I’m aiming for)?
Are there any websites that you’d suggest I use religiously because in past papers only so many topics can come up whereas if u work along with a worksheet I’ll be able to cover all topics hopefully!
Reply 6
(Sorry in advance for the whole essay, I got carried away)

For YouTube Channels: Corbett maths is pretty good for maths specifically, and from my experience Cognito is good (I mostly watched their sciences content though, so I can't be sure how well that translates to their maths videos - still worth having a look though).

That being said, I think I have an obligation to point out that JUST watching YouTube videos alone is not enough to help you improve at maths, although it is a great tool for supplementing your learning. Make DETAILED notes on everything you learn from a video and do at least 30mins worth of questions after watching the video and writing notes. This will help you consolidate your learning which is without a doubt the most important part of your revision (the idea is to force you to commit it to long term memory rather than just remember it for a day or two then start to forget it).

Also make a list of all the stuff you have learned/revised and test yourself with questions on those topics periodically to make sure you don't forget the stuff you already know. This is important as you will start to forget the stuff you revised at the very start of your schedule unless you actively prevent that from happening.

As for the worksheets, I think it's a much better idea to be working on the stuff that is targeted at higher grades. You simply won't see as much progression by doing easier worksheets. Not to mention that grade 4 worksheets are expressly designed to consolidate learning for grade 4. If you want to see improvement rather than consolidation, work on the harder sheets. It doesn't matter if you struggle (a lot) at first for a few weeks. I didn't start out getting 9s when I began revision. Stick it out and you will see significant improvement. (I've been saying this for ages now, but GCSEs are a measure of how badly you want to succeed, not natural ability)

For websites, I can't say I used them for my revision personally, but I can recommend Corbett Maths (loads of worksheets and practice Qs), DrFrost (lots of explanatory ppts and practice Qs) and for maths more generally Khan Academy is excellent (although it is geared towards the American syllabus so you will have to search for the topics you want to study yourself - the resources and Qs are almost unmatched though). Corbett and Khan I know for a fact are free, but DrFrost may require a school login or something, I'm not sure. It's worth trying all of these resources though.

I would note however, using past & practice papers is almost unparalleled in terms of seeing your progression and pushing your revision forward as it tells you what your weak points are as well as gives you indications of where you stand. Personally, I made a tracker to see how my past paper scores changed over the course of the year, but simply jotting down percentages for each paper can help you to show identify your improvement. Feel free to ask if you have any more Qs. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by KWad
(Sorry in advance for the whole essay, I got carried away)

For YouTube Channels: Corbett maths is pretty good for maths specifically, and from my experience Cognito is good (I mostly watched their sciences content though, so I can't be sure how well that translates to their maths videos - still worth having a look though).

That being said, I think I have an obligation to point out that JUST watching YouTube videos alone is not enough to help you improve at maths, although it is a great tool for supplementing your learning. Make DETAILED notes on everything you learn from a video and do at least 30mins worth of questions after watching the video and writing notes. This will help you consolidate your learning which is without a doubt the most important part of your revision (the idea is to force you to commit it to long term memory rather than just remember it for a day or two then start to forget it).

Also make a list of all the stuff you have learned/revised and test yourself with questions on those topics periodically to make sure you don't forget the stuff you already know. This is important as you will start to forget the stuff you revised at the very start of your schedule unless you actively prevent that from happening.

As for the worksheets, I think it's a much better idea to be working on the stuff that is targeted at higher grades. You simply won't see as much progression by doing easier worksheets. Not to mention that grade 4 worksheets are expressly designed to consolidate learning for grade 4. If you want to see improvement rather than consolidation, work on the harder sheets. It doesn't matter if you struggle (a lot) at first for a few weeks. I didn't start out getting 9s when I began revision. Stick it out and you will see significant improvement. (I've been saying this for ages now, but GCSEs are a measure of how badly you want to succeed, not natural ability)

For websites, I can't say I used them for my revision personally, but I can recommend Corbett Maths (loads of worksheets and practice Qs), DrFrost (lots of explanatory ppts and practice Qs) and for maths more generally Khan Academy is excellent (although it is geared towards the American syllabus so you will have to search for the topics you want to study yourself - the resources and Qs are almost unmatched though). Corbett and Khan I know for a fact are free, but DrFrost may require a school login or something, I'm not sure. It's worth trying all of these resources though.

I would note however, using past & practice papers is almost unparalleled in terms of seeing your progression and pushing your revision forward as it tells you what your weak points are as well as gives you indications of where you stand. Personally, I made a tracker to see how my past paper scores changed over the course of the year, but simply jotting down percentages for each paper can help you to show identify your improvement. Feel free to ask if you have any more Qs. :smile:

Thank you so so much! I will definitely have a look at khan academy!
I printed out worksheets from grade 4 all the way to grade 9 only because I need my foundations to be very strong in order to progress to harder content. The first paper is on the 16th of May I really hope I can make exceptional progress. Really scary!!
Also do you know if the Corbett maths 5 a day worksheets are any good??
Reply 8
Your plan for the worksheets sounds good, just remember that you should try to wean yourself off the easier stuff ASAP. More time spent on the harder stuff the better

As for the Corbett thing, I did not use it myself, but I know some friends who did. I can't speak from personal experience, but in theory at least, the 5-a-day idea seems quite good as it will make sure to keep you on your toes and will help consolidate your learning further. I would recommend doing it.

Otherwise, unless you have any more questions, good luck with your revision! I'm certain that if you put in the effort you will get a top grade. If you're happy with your result on results day do give us an update :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by KWad
Your plan for the worksheets sounds good, just remember that you should try to wean yourself off the easier stuff ASAP. More time spent on the harder stuff the better

As for the Corbett thing, I did not use it myself, but I know some friends who did. I can't speak from personal experience, but in theory at least, the 5-a-day idea seems quite good as it will make sure to keep you on your toes and will help consolidate your learning further. I would recommend doing it.

Otherwise, unless you have any more questions, good luck with your revision! I'm certain that if you put in the effort you will get a top grade. If you're happy with your result on results day do give us an update :smile:

Thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest