The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Uni of Edinburgh MSc in Data Science VS. KCL MSc in Advanced Cyber Security

Hi all! I'm choosing between 2 fully online master's degrees: Edinburgh's MSc in Data Science, Technology and Innovation or King's College London's MSc in Advanced Cyber Security.

Edinburgh MSc has a dissertation component while KCL option is all modules only.

The cost is about the same. I'm a working professional now (previously earned my BA from Warwick and then a MSc from Durham). While employed, I'm thinking of pursuing a second master's degree from either one of these two options. I'm Canadian so my focus is choosing the school with the best international reputation and prestige (i.e. because many UK universities are only renowned within the UK, such as Durham, which while somewhat prestigious in the UK is unknown in Europe, USA and Canada). Any advice which is better from the above 2 options? Which School has the better Informatics/Computing department?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by A_great_day!
Hi all! I'm choosing between 2 fully online master's degrees: Edinburgh's MSc in Data Science, Technology and Innovation or King's College London's MSc in Advanced Cyber Security.

Edinburgh MSc has a dissertation component while KCL option is all modules only.

The cost is about the same. I'm a working professional now (previously earned my BA from Warwick and then a MSc from Durham). While employed, I'm thinking of pursuing a second master's degree from either one of these two options. I'm Canadian so my focus is choosing the school with the best international reputation and prestige (i.e. because many UK universities are only renowned within the UK, such as Durham, which while somewhat prestigious in the UK is unknown in Europe, USA and Canada). Any advice which is better from the above 2 options? Which School has the better Informatics/Computing department?

Hi, I’m curious have you considered the MSc Machine Learning and Data Science at Imperial College London?

As for your question: what exactly is your aim? Do you explicitly want bigger focus on Data Science, or do you just want some new knowledge and aim for the better choice of uni?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’m curious have you considered the MSc Machine Learning and Data Science at Imperial College London?

As for your question: what exactly is your aim? Do you explicitly want bigger focus on Data Science, or do you just want some new knowledge and aim for the better choice of uni?

Hi anonymous. Thank you for your input. My understanding is, ICL has much higher entry standards. After all, it is STEM fields focused school. Am I mistaken about this?

Note that I have no formal background at all in computer science (I studied psychology and sociology for my BA and MSc degrees!). Given my social science background, I highly doubt I would be admitted into ICL for the MSc Machine Learning & Data Science.

As for KCL and Edinburgh, all I need to prove at the application phase for their online MSc degree is that I have coding and computer language skills on par with someone who finished their first year of undergraduate studies in computer science. That's a fairly low standard for which I can provide them with proof. Isn't ICL's admissions standards higher than that? Please let me know in case you know about this.

To answer your question about my aim, the job market is tough in Toronto, Canada. Of course, that's how it is anywhere in the world. With my education (BA + MSc from top ranked British Russel Group Unis), my employment prospects are limited compared to if I earned a second master's in data science. A data science degree is highly fungible across labour market sectors.

With my degrees in psychology and sociology, it's very difficult to find meaningful employment. I work now in marketing for a company and while it pays the bills I'm not staying longer than I have to. My goal of working for one of the top NGOs or NPOs on my list may be more attainable if I earn a second master's in data science from a prominent school. As to why I choose UK unis over Canadian or US ones: it is simply because it costs less money for a master's. In the USA/Canada a master's degree can cost over 55,000 British pounds for tuition.
P.S. I just checked. Indeed Imperial requires an undergraduate degree in physics, mathematics or engineering to be eligible to apply for the MSc in Machine Learning and Data Science.
Hi anonymous. Thank you for your input. My understanding is, ICL has much higher entry standards. After all, it is STEM fields focused school. Am I mistaken about this?

Note that I have no formal background at all in computer science (I studied psychology and sociology for my BA and MSc degrees!). Given my social science background, I highly doubt I would be admitted into ICL for the MSc Machine Learning & Data Science.

As for KCL and Edinburgh, all I need to prove at the application phase for their online MSc degree is that I have coding and computer language skills on par with someone who finished their first year of undergraduate studies in computer science. That's a fairly low standard for which I can provide them with proof. Isn't ICL's admissions standards higher than that? Please let me know in case you know about this.

To answer your question about my aim, the job market is tough in Toronto, Canada. Of course, that's how it is anywhere in the world. With my education (BA + MSc from top ranked British Russel Group Unis), my employment prospects are limited compared to if I earned a second master's in data science. A data science degree is highly fungible across labour market sectors.

With my degrees in psychology and sociology, it's very difficult to find meaningful employment. I work now in marketing for a company and while it pays the bills I'm not staying longer than I have to. My goal of working for one of the top NGOs or NPOs on my list may be more attainable if I earn a second master's in data science from a prominent school. As to why I choose UK unis over Canadian or US ones: it is simply because it costs less money for a master's. In the USA/Canada a master's degree can cost over 55,000 British pounds for tuition.

Yes, for ICL I think the main focus is on the maths background, this particular ML MSc is in the mathematics department. So yes, if your background is in another field I agree it’ll be tough to get in. I just mentioned it because I think it’s really good about understanding Data science. Have you also checked university of bath requirements? I think university of Liverpool has an online conversion MSc for data science. I haven’t checked their quality compared to Edinburg/kcl.

As for Edinburgh vs KCL: If you want a data science focus, as far as I have compared both MSc programs you mentioned (I was thinking of applying to the one in Edinburgh+ For kcl I was thinking about the financial analytics one), if you get accepted into Edinburgh I would advise you to go there. That’s in case if you really want a DS focus. I also think the dissertation is a big plus, you’ll have the chance to dive deep into a project which is good when applying to different data science positions in the future. The competition in this field is fierce. With a good topic on your dissertation you’ll have the chance to stand out from the average applicant! If you think a dissertation will be too much to handle while working then choose KCL. Both unis have good reputation. Personally, I’m applying for online MScs with dissertation.

P.s. I should say that I’ve been working in the data science/ml field for the last 2 years and what I’m saying is from my experience when applying to jobs and going to interviews and getting feedback + a lot of information from my friends also in the field.
Thanks for your insights. Yes, the Edinburgh MSc dissertation makes it attractive over KCL.

Note that Edinburgh has an on-campus MSc of the same name, whereas KCL's on-campus degree is called "MSc Cyber Security", not "MSc Advanced Cyber Security", which is the online version. It may not matter too much since people don't have to write the exact name of their degree on their CV/resume. However, it's something to consider: some universities offer online master's degrees that have no same name equivalent to their on campus master's offerings. This would make it glaringly obvious to employers that it was earned online.

If you are self funding, I would recommend you to consider doing a MBA at Warwick Business School in lieu of the two degrees you mentioned. This is assuming you are not that interested in data science but rather you are seeking to pursue a master's degree to propel your career forward, i.e. for greater income and promotability, especially in leadership positions. The starting salary of Warwick MBA alumni is impressive. It is expensive, as I recall about 43,000 British pounds for the degree, but it would be approximately the same cost as if you pursued an online MSc from Edinburgh + an online MSc from KCL.

As an Warwick alumnus myself, I can tell you Warwick is not an elite school except in the Mathematics Department and Warwick Business School. (For Politics and Economics it's highly regarded internationally, but not quite "elite".) The online Warwick MBA is by far the best online MBA anywhere in the English speaking world. I know online MBAs are sometimes looked down upon compared to on campus MBAs, but that is the case for lower-ranked business schools. Durham has an online MBA too that is well regarded (and much cheaper), but it is not anywhere comparable to Warwick's.

As for KCL's MSc in Financial Analytics, unless you have top grades from your undergraduate degree, it would be difficult to enter the banking, hedge fund or finance sector. They also systematically discriminate against mature students (i.e. if you are past your 20s it's difficult to enter finance, especially if you are seeking entry level positions without any previous relevant experience). An MBA degree is the most "useful" or "fungible" if your main concern is increasing income and general employability across industrial sectors, and if you are not targeting becoming an expert in ML/Data Science. Usually to enter the finance sector one would need to have completed 3 internships at various institutions, and to get your foot in the door for those internships will requires being young (ideally no older than your mid twenties) + top grades from a well regarded school + showing a willingness to work 80+ hours a week + very complaisant and subservient attitude towards the management and showing core malleability (i.e. I am willing to change myself to fit the corporate norms of this company).

Hi I have applied to Environmental data science course in ICL. Any idea on how that is ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending