The Student Room Group

Getting bored on days off, what do you do on yours when you’re not studying?

I’m not a student anymore but thought I’d ask on here seeing as yahoo answers has shut down haha, haven’t got any replies on Reddit yet.
Suppose most people on here can’t relate because they’re busy studying.

I work 30 hours a week in a shop over 4 days and like to have 3 days off.
Someone suggested spreading the shifts out more but I’m getting sick of the place tbh and would rather be at home.

When I was younger at college I felt guilty if I wasn’t studying and would spend most of my time doing that. But this led to a lot of procrastination and a lot of the time was actually spent listening to music and getting up and getting a coffee 😆 the hours would vanish
I’ve always loved music and would always have my headphones on but at the ripe age of 24 I’m just getting sick of it.

I don’t watch a lot of telly - I’m quite fussy and only like coronation street which is on for an hour and I think it’s so boring these days, I only have it on for half an hour a night.
When it comes to Netflix the only series I liked were You and prison break and they don’t last forever!

I’m gonna learn how to sew 🧵 and make loadsa kids and dolls clothes, sell them on Etsy and give the money to charity
I hope I can do this because I’m not good at art but I think if I can sew in a straight line and cut neatly I’ll be fine.

So on my day off I plan on waking up at 10 then having a couple of hours to get ready - shower and breakfast, might spend the first half hour scrolling through fb.

Then I’d sew from 12-6 with the telly on in the background

Then I’d go for an hours walk
And come back and start cooking at 7

Cooking a curry, eating and washing up takes me about 3 hours (with a sit down after eating lol)

So then it’s 10pm and I would watch Corrie and get ready for bed

Then I’ve still got about 3 boring hours 😐 which come to think of it doesn’t sound much (I was thinking of it as 4 but that’s before Corrie lol)
I was thinking reading - I used to love reading but I can be so fussy when it comes to books and don’t think I wanna spend 3 hours a day doing it
It’s great when you find a book that you can’t put down but I actually think so many books are just rubbish

I suppose reading the news - free metro paper and other news apps with a coffee could take up an hour

I don’t enjoy exercising - find the gym quite boring. I’d love to go on jogs outside but I’m scared of dogs 😆
I was thinking suppose I could do a Pilates session and it’s better than staring at a brick wall

I’ve always loved ballet and was thinking of volunteering but I have a bit of social anxiety so can’t really do those
I also don’t have any friends btw 😆 I don’t want any either because I never have anything to talk about - I just see people at work and see my family once a month

I was thinking if the worst comes to the worst I could just save up my coronation streets for my days off but like I said I find this show pretty boring so I dunno maybe I’d have that on and just sew for a couple more hours lol.

I know I sound negative but I’m starting to just find life boring.
I’m just really hoping I’ll enjoy sewing and it’ll keep me occupied and make the time pass, and that I can actually do it! I’d be stuffed without that idea.

Suppose there isn’t a lot anyone can suggest now but just wondering what do you do on your days off?
Original post by Maya_ruby
I’m not a student anymore but thought I’d ask on here seeing as yahoo answers has shut down haha, haven’t got any replies on Reddit yet.
Suppose most people on here can’t relate because they’re busy studying.

I work 30 hours a week in a shop over 4 days and like to have 3 days off.
Someone suggested spreading the shifts out more but I’m getting sick of the place tbh and would rather be at home.

When I was younger at college I felt guilty if I wasn’t studying and would spend most of my time doing that. But this led to a lot of procrastination and a lot of the time was actually spent listening to music and getting up and getting a coffee 😆 the hours would vanish
I’ve always loved music and would always have my headphones on but at the ripe age of 24 I’m just getting sick of it.

I don’t watch a lot of telly - I’m quite fussy and only like coronation street which is on for an hour and I think it’s so boring these days, I only have it on for half an hour a night.
When it comes to Netflix the only series I liked were You and prison break and they don’t last forever!

I’m gonna learn how to sew 🧵 and make loadsa kids and dolls clothes, sell them on Etsy and give the money to charity
I hope I can do this because I’m not good at art but I think if I can sew in a straight line and cut neatly I’ll be fine.

So on my day off I plan on waking up at 10 then having a couple of hours to get ready - shower and breakfast, might spend the first half hour scrolling through fb.

Then I’d sew from 12-6 with the telly on in the background

Then I’d go for an hours walk
And come back and start cooking at 7

Cooking a curry, eating and washing up takes me about 3 hours (with a sit down after eating lol)

So then it’s 10pm and I would watch Corrie and get ready for bed

Then I’ve still got about 3 boring hours 😐 which come to think of it doesn’t sound much (I was thinking of it as 4 but that’s before Corrie lol)
I was thinking reading - I used to love reading but I can be so fussy when it comes to books and don’t think I wanna spend 3 hours a day doing it
It’s great when you find a book that you can’t put down but I actually think so many books are just rubbish

I suppose reading the news - free metro paper and other news apps with a coffee could take up an hour

I don’t enjoy exercising - find the gym quite boring. I’d love to go on jogs outside but I’m scared of dogs 😆
I was thinking suppose I could do a Pilates session and it’s better than staring at a brick wall

I’ve always loved ballet and was thinking of volunteering but I have a bit of social anxiety so can’t really do those
I also don’t have any friends btw 😆 I don’t want any either because I never have anything to talk about - I just see people at work and see my family once a month

I was thinking if the worst comes to the worst I could just save up my coronation streets for my days off but like I said I find this show pretty boring so I dunno maybe I’d have that on and just sew for a couple more hours lol.

I know I sound negative but I’m starting to just find life boring.
I’m just really hoping I’ll enjoy sewing and it’ll keep me occupied and make the time pass, and that I can actually do it! I’d be stuffed without that idea.

Suppose there isn’t a lot anyone can suggest now but just wondering what do you do on your days off?

Hi there.

Sorry no one has replied :frown:

Have you considered online volunteering?

Doit.org has some great online volunteering opportunities, likewise Be my eyes and Shout are also great platforms too (so is TSR :biggrin:)

I volunteer, read and online courses in my free time :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
This is a list of alternative activities

Make cupcakes
Talk to friends
Head out on a walk
Go see some plants
Visit the shops or the local library
Meet new friends at a coffee shop etc
Discover a new escape room
Spend a whole day on a beach or live on a campsite
Have a free picnic