The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

id go with 12 cause i don't think there's much difference between the 2, but then again it's preference & if you don't mind spending an extra £100 then why not i guess
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
id go with 12 cause i don't think there's much difference between the 2, but then again it's preference & if you don't mind spending an extra £100 then why not i guess

I really like the mint colour of the 12, but apparently the camera is so much better on 13?
Reply 3
What should I pick? £100 difference.

Why waste money on a ridiculously expensive iPhone 12/13 when you can buy a second hand Samsung for £20 which does literally the same thing.
Even better, quit destroying your mental health social media (assuming you use it) and buy a trusty Nokia from 2007
I really like the mint colour of the 12, but apparently the camera is so much better on 13?

The cameras have tiny differences between them, other than that it's literally the same phone
Original post by Raptor Jesus
The cameras have tiny differences between them, other than that it's literally the same phone

Yeah you probably wouldn't even notice the camera difference tbf, i'd probably pick based on colour
Original post by Anholm
Why waste money on a ridiculously expensive iPhone 12/13 when you can buy a second hand Samsung for £20 which does literally the same thing.
Even better, quit destroying your mental health social media (assuming you use it) and buy a trusty Nokia from 2007

why must every phone related thread have a post like this? if you don't want to spend much on a phone that's your prerogative but it doesn't make you a better person
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah you probably wouldn't even notice the camera difference tbf, i'd probably pick based on colour

They have nice colours
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anholm

This is 2022, we don’t need old-generation mindsets controlling how we live in this day and age.
Reply 9
Original post by vapordave
why must every phone related thread have a post like this? if you don't want to spend much on a phone that's your perogative but it doesn't make you a better person

I didn't think for a moment that I'm a better person because I don't have the latest Iphone. I just dislike this culture of short term trends and disposable fashion, spending money on things that are so unnecessary.
I don't know if this applies to the OP but in general there are few habits that are more wasteful and unnecessary than throwing away older items that still work to get the latest version.
Reply 10
Original post by CaptainDuckie
This is 2022, we don’t need old-generation mindsets controlling how we live in this day and age.

Haha, I'm 17.
Original post by Anholm
Haha, I'm 17.

It’s still an old-generation mindset. The way you said it, I could’ve easily been mistaken by some grandad at a family reunion that’s trying to give me “words of wisdom” :lol:
What should I pick? £100 difference.

Blackberry
Original post by Anholm
I didn't think for a moment that I'm a better person because I don't have the latest Iphone. I just dislike this culture of short term trends and disposable fashion, spending money on things that are so unnecessary.
I don't know if this applies to the OP but in general there are few habits that are more wasteful and unnecessary than throwing away older items that still work to get the latest version.

you have no idea why op is buying a new phone though
i am fiercely opinionated on the subject of e-waste and repairing your own devices but there is literally no reason to cast judgement on op based on the information they have given us alone
If I were to spend that quantity of money, I'd buy a cheap android phone, a pot of mint paint, and a proper camera. :cool:
Reply 15
you have no idea why op is buying a new phone though
i am fiercely opinionated on the subject of e-waste and repairing your own devices but there is literally no reason to cast judgement on op based on the information they have given us alone

The only thing I know is that they are struggling to pick between possibly the two most expensive phones on the market and I am judging them for that. I don't know if they have a phone or if they need a good camera for work or whatever. I just see it as a silly waste of money regardless when there are options 1/20 of the price that do the same thing.
Maybe I'm missing something but they might as well spend £1000 on gold encrusted underwear.
Original post by Anholm
The only thing I know is that they are struggling to pick between possibly the two most expensive phones on the market and I am judging them for that. I don't know if they have a phone or if they need a good camera for work or whatever. I just see it as a silly waste of money regardless when there are options 1/20 of the price that do the same thing.
Maybe I'm missing something but they might as well spend £1000 on gold encrusted underwear.

there are a few reasons why they might be deciding between these phones:
- longevity/software support
- iOS
- they have other apple devices and want to keep the synergy
- they need the camera for xyz reason
- they need the processing power for xyz reason
edit: a smoother experience. cheaper phones may be more economical but frankly they are frustratingly slow at times. at least mine is

edit numero dos: these are really not the most expensive phones on the market
(edited 2 years ago)
why must every phone related thread have a post like this? if you don't want to spend much on a phone that's your prerogative but it doesn't make you a better person

+1 for that. I don't know why everyone has to get a lecture the moment they say they want to buy something new. Why are people so intolerant as to other people's choices? :iiam:
Reply 18
there are a few reasons why they might be deciding between these phones:
- longevity/software support
- iOS
- they have other apple devices and want to keep the synergy
- they need the camera for xyz reason
- they need the processing power for xyz reason

Why would they need the latest software? Virus protection? I know plenty of old phone owners who have never had any problems, it's about how and where you share your personal details. Prevention. Common sense is a stronger enemy of viruses than the latest software.
Connectivity to other apple devices and the IOS system can both happen with an older model iPhone, buying an older one will also reduce waste.
You can get a much better camera and a perfectly functioning phone for half the price of an iPhone 13
People who need processing power for things get a laptop or a PC, not a tiny phone. If they can afford an iPhone 13 and need processing power, they'd be better off buying a cheap phone and a gaming PC.
Original post by Anholm
Why would they need the latest software? Virus protection? I know plenty of old phone owners who have never had any problems, it's about how and where you share your personal details. Prevention. Common sense is a stronger enemy of viruses than the latest software.
Connectivity to other apple devices and the IOS system can both happen with an older model iPhone, buying an older one will also reduce waste.
You can get a much better camera and a perfectly functioning phone for half the price of an iPhone 13
People who need processing power for things get a laptop or a PC, not a tiny phone. If they can afford an iPhone 13 and need processing power, they'd be better off buying a cheap phone and a gaming PC.

Newer software also has more features and a new phone will last longer which reduces waste.
How old are we talking here? An iphone 5s doesn't support apple pay, iphone 11's don't have 5G connectivity.
That's not the point- a camera can be bulky for some people.
Can you play mobile games on a gaming pc?

Latest

Trending

Trending