The Student Room Group

Applying to study Film Production

Hello! I am applying for film production / filmmaking (basically any practical film courses) and wanted some feedback on some unis Ive applied for.

I have an offer from UCA Farnham for Film: I have heard quite mixed reviews of this uni, although I consider student life, I'm more concerned with teaching quality ?

I have an offer from Bath Spa for film - the campus seems beautiful and good reviews, but not been able to find out much about their film courses.

UWE Bristol (probably my favourite choice) for filmmaking : I really like the sound of this course and I like Bristol area - any opinions on their film course would be appreciated

Screenology (validated by Plymouth marjon): I'm not sure on this course - I was excited, however the lack of lectures and education concerns me - (why pay them 27k if they wont actually teach us?)

Arts University of Bournemouth for Film Prod: I simply want to hear more about this course, their site seems polished and professional, but not heard much about film side of things.

Thank you for reading, and if anyone has feedback on any of these choices it'd be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
I wouldn't go for UCA. It has almost zero nightlife, the tutors are rude and unprofessional and the students work is not good.
Reply 2
If you would like an opinion about Screenology?

Just my personal opinion!
Sure it's not for everybody, it is a very unique University that is not like others. Every year the style and organization structure changes a little which can be irritating at times. And also things can be last-minute which disrupts the flow and you can miss out.
However, one thing Screenology does very well in my view is it teaches you to be self-sufficient. You will not be told what to do or told how to do things.
That may not sound very appealing or helpful at first but it is actually a very realistic way of preparing students for the industry and the world.
You will never be told what to do anywhere and usually, it's harder when you have no one to help you. Here students go on a journey together and help each. And the staff are there to guide every step of the way.
You learn by trying things out and Screeno have the tools to provide that. This Uni will not tell how, where, and when to do things.
They will present you with many opportunities to meet and collaborate with people and then to go out and try every aspect of the film industry.
Yes, Screeno does have more benefits for certain jobs like Directing, Editing, Camera operating or Sound Recording. But this Uni is only 6 years old and if you have any issues or problems about anything. You are welcome to bring these issues up with the staff team and they point in the right direction. And even if you are still not happy, then they can help you find another path that works for you.
Screeno does work FOR you, they work WITH you!
Here, Screeno also has a great supportive wellbeing team here that offers free therapy sessions for anybody.
Things will not be handed to you on a plate. That's not realistic!

Plus Bristol is amazing!
Original post by J.Twell
If you would like an opinion about Screenology?

Just my personal opinion!
Sure it's not for everybody, it is a very unique University that is not like others. Every year the style and organization structure changes a little which can be irritating at times. And also things can be last-minute which disrupts the flow and you can miss out.
However, one thing Screenology does very well in my view is it teaches you to be self-sufficient. You will not be told what to do or told how to do things.
That may not sound very appealing or helpful at first but it is actually a very realistic way of preparing students for the industry and the world.
You will never be told what to do anywhere and usually, it's harder when you have no one to help you. Here students go on a journey together and help each. And the staff are there to guide every step of the way.
You learn by trying things out and Screeno have the tools to provide that. This Uni will not tell how, where, and when to do things.
They will present you with many opportunities to meet and collaborate with people and then to go out and try every aspect of the film industry.
Yes, Screeno does have more benefits for certain jobs like Directing, Editing, Camera operating or Sound Recording. But this Uni is only 6 years old and if you have any issues or problems about anything. You are welcome to bring these issues up with the staff team and they point in the right direction. And even if you are still not happy, then they can help you find another path that works for you.
Screeno does work FOR you, they work WITH you!
Here, Screeno also has a great supportive wellbeing team here that offers free therapy sessions for anybody.
Things will not be handed to you on a plate. That's not realistic!

Plus Bristol is amazing!

Sounds like one of the professors at Screenology wrote this lol. Why are so many students leaving Screenology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending