The Student Room Group

An Unserious Gym Partner

So one of my mates has decided to come gym with me and he has never been before and obvs I told him he could come with me so I could show him what to do.

But he has just been really annoying and idk what to do. I give him tips and advice on how to correct his form and just basic information and he dismisses it and gets cocky. Also every time we have gone, he answers phone calls that’s aren’t for emergencies and takes too long to do his set as he’s on the phone.

The last time we went, we were doing leg day. He decided he wanted to sit out of one of my exercises because he said he couldn’t do it and didn’t even try until I forced him to do it. And this same day he left early because his girlfriend wanted to be with him.

I just think it’s rude that im putting in all this effort to make him better and more confident in the gym and I just feel like all I have received is a slap in the face. I would bring it up to him but I just know he’s gonna get cocky about it and I cba with that
Did he ask you to put in all this effort, to give him "tips and advice" and to effectively become his personal trainer? Or that a role you assigned yourself?

It sounds like you should just let him do his own thing at the gym. He knows how to use the equipment / weights now, so just let him get on with it.

If he wants to spend half the time on the phone, then let him. He's not harming you by doing so. (Unless you count your bruised ego because he's not diligently following your every instruction.)
Stop going with them

Quick Reply

Latest