The Student Room Group

Driving Test

Hi all,
I want to get my license after putting it off for about 2 years. I still want to take some lessons as I imagine I'll be rusty but I'll basically be ready after 5-6 hours of lessons. My problem is: there's no tests around me!!

I've checked multiple centres and there's nothing available around me. The nearest centre is 68 miles away.

What would I do in this situation? Are instructors willing to drive to such far test centres? Also I've seen those apps and websites that search for cancellations. Are those any good?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
First - go for a driving test assessment from an Instructor who has a good reputation to give you a mock test. You might need a few more hours practice than 5 to 6to get your driving back up to speed . Your driving should be of a standard where you can drive anywhere in the UK when you are ready to take a test and pass.

Don't be afraid to go anywhere to take a test. Look at some of the road layouts on a map. If your nightmares are roundabouts there are some cities jam packed full of roundabouts to avoid. You could always use your parents car, any other car if you can arrange insurance, L plates, an interior mirror and a supervisor to go to the test centre. See the Govt DVSA site for car requirements. Otherwise once you are in an unfamiliar test centre area, find the test centre, know what the awkward junctions, & turns are around the centre, drive the main road routes, look at old test route info online to see some of the roads that still might be used. (its not published now) Look at navigation & road signs near the test centre. You might want to stay overnight beforehand but its possible to pass your test in a strange city or town.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
First - go for a driving test assessment from an Instructor who has a good reputation to give you a mock test. You might need a few more hours practice than 5 to 6to get your driving back up to speed . Your driving should be of a standard where you can drive anywhere in the UK when you are ready to take a test and pass.

Don't be afraid to go anywhere to take a test. Look at some of the road layouts on a map. If your nightmares are roundabouts there are some cities jam packed full of roundabouts to avoid. You could always use your parents car, any other car if you can arrange insurance, L plates, an interior mirror and a supervisor to go to the test centre. See the Govt DVSA site for car requirements. Otherwise once you are in an unfamiliar test centre area, find the test centre, know what the awkward junctions, & turns are around the centre, drive the main road routes, look at old test route info online to see some of the roads that still might be used. (its not published now) Look at navigation & road signs near the test centre. You might want to stay overnight beforehand but its possible to pass your test in a strange city or town.

Of course, I don't doubt I'll need more than 6 hours, but I'm just thinking about the future. I'll only consider booking when my instructor says I'm ready but at this rate, I might have to wait 6 months (probably more) for a test.

Unfortunately, no one in my family drives (main reason I'm trying to get a license) so an instructor is my only option. I don't have a problem with going to other test centres but are instructors normally okay with that? Considering the nearest ones with an available test are 2 hours (or more) away?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending