The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath university

So I just firmed Bath (it was my 3rd choice) and I can’t wait to start but I have no idea if it’s the type of university I want!!

I want to go to a traditional university where you have gowned meals and colleges, matriculations and beautiful archaic architecture etc etc BUT I’m pretty sure Bath is nothing like that (the uni that is).

Can someone tell me what the vibe is at Bath or any personal experiences etc cos honestly I would hate it if it’s just all modern and there isn’t any history etc
Reply 1
I’m pretty sure there is nothing historic about Bath as a university itself so if you are looking for something like that, it may not be the university for you BUT seeming as the university is close to historic grandeur aka the city, that might cancel it out :smile:

Remember, you are going to this university for a degree so should probably worry about that more so than if it’s traditional or not.

I’m guessing you have already applied but you can always take a gap year and try and apply (or re-apply) to traditional universities like Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Durham etc if you are looking for a super traditional university experience :smile:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Anonymous
I’m pretty sure there is nothing historic about Bath as a university itself so if you are looking for something like that, it may not be the university for you BUT seeming as the university is close to historic grandeur aka the city, that might cancel it out :smile:

Remember, you are going to this university for a degree so should probably worry about that more so than if it’s traditional or not.

I’m guessing you have already applied but you can always take a gap year and try and apply (or re-apply) to traditional universities like Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Durham etc if you are looking for a super traditional university experience :smile:

Why answer your own question? Good answer but a slightly pointless exercise...
Reply 3
Why answer your own question? Good answer but a slightly pointless exercise...

This is gonna sound stupid but I tend to put myself in other peoples shoes and just write ‘other perspectives’ of an issue I have bahahaha that sounds so embarrassing
So I just firmed Bath (it was my 3rd choice) and I can’t wait to start but I have no idea if it’s the type of university I want!!

I want to go to a traditional university where you have gowned meals and colleges, matriculations and beautiful archaic architecture etc etc BUT I’m pretty sure Bath is nothing like that (the uni that is).

Can someone tell me what the vibe is at Bath or any personal experiences etc cos honestly I would hate it if it’s just all modern and there isn’t any history etc

Well, I can tell you now that Edinburgh students do not wear gowns to matriculate. Matriculation is an entirely online process apart from the bit where you collect your student card from a brutalist 1960s library building.

If you want to do stuff in gowns then go to Oxbridge.

Well, I can tell you now that Edinburgh students do not wear gowns to matriculate. Matriculation is an entirely online process apart from the bit where you collect your student card from a brutalist 1960s library building.

If you want to do stuff in gowns then go to Oxbridge. I think St Andrews likes to ponce around in red gowns to matriculate as well.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest