The Student Room Group

Am i doing bad for my 4th driving lesson?

I’ve had 4 hours but feel like i’m still making the same mistakes as the first lesson and not really progressing. I feel horrible because although i’m lucky that my mum is paying for my lessons, i don’t want to waste her money as i feel like i’m just doing bad which is unfair for her :/

1st lesson -
- i drove from home, my instructor has never once drove and always sits in passenger seat which i was not expecting for my first lesson as everyone told me they’d drive me to a quiet place first (but tbf my area is quiet)

- we practised mainly left turns

2nd lesson
- practiced left and right turns and went on a few main roads
- i stalled a few times, the car also started kangarooing and junking. It was very loud and embarrassing to the point a lady in another car told me i needed to calm down

3rd lesson
- basically the same as the second lesson but we stayed off the main road as he could tell i was nervous

4th lesson (worst one so far)
- we were on main roads
- i kept changing the gear too fast and sometimes i would even end up in the wrong gear (i think it was due to my nerves)

- the car also kangarooed and stalled which was embarrassing

- i could tell the instructor was getting frustrated as he started telling me things like “it’s not difficult” and said i shouldn’t be forgetting the things i did in the first lesson :/
(i always watch driving lessons in my spare time but when it comes to my lessons i don’t know what happens)

- he kept trying to advise me such as be slow as i’m changing gears etc and i felt bad because he probably thought i was just not listening to him as i would still make the same mistake but i think it was just me being nervous

- also he’d say that he’s gonna keep quiet and let me do it myself but would still end up helping me because of how bad i was

- at the end of the lesson he told me 99% of my driving was good apart from the odd mistake but he was just staying that to make me feel better lol because i know myself it wasn’t great. he also said that he didn’t have to help me use the controls bur during the lesson i would see his foot on the break etc so i know he just doesn’t want to upset me as he could probably tell i was disappointed in myself

- is it bad that i’m still struggling with changing gears smoothly after 4 hours? pls be honest and is there any advice anyone has for me?
It’s one of those things where you will get better with practice, and with more hours that you do. I wouldn’t sweat it. You’ve only done 4 hours.

Maybe try looking down and see yourself changing the gears first so you can get a feel for where it is. I kept going into gear 1 when wanting to go into gear 3, I think on like my 10th hour. Don’t worry about it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Honestly, you've barely had any time to get used to the car at all yet. Driving is a skill that people learn at different speeds. There are so many different things to focus on that it's normal to feel nervous and a bit overwhelmed to start with.

Some people have 10 lessons and then take their test. Other people learn for 3 years (like my friend, who took his test 6 times).

But the point is, you will get there, in your own time.

For a small proportion of learners, manual cars are just too difficult - in which case there is always the option of an automatic. But you're so new at driving, you will be fine! :smile: But if not, there is always that backup.

You will be driving before you know it :smile:.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
It’s one of those things where you will get better with practice, and with more hours that you do. I wouldn’t sweat it. You’ve only done 4 hours.

Maybe try looking down and see yourself changing the gears first so you can get a feel for where it is. I kept going into gear 1 when wanting to go into gear 3, I think on like my 10th hour. Don’t worry about it.

Okay thank you i’ll try that next time (:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Honestly, you've barely had any time to get used to the car at all yet. Driving is a skill that people learn at different speeds. There are so many different things to focus on that it's normal to feel nervous and a bit overwhelmed to start with.

Some people have 10 lessons and then take their test. Other people learn for 3 years (like my friend, who took his test 6 times).

But the point is, you will get there, in your own time.

For a small proportion of learners, manual cars are just too difficult - in which case there is always the option of an automatic. But you're so new at driving, you will be fine! :smile: But if not, there is always that backup.

You will be driving before you know it :smile:.

thank you so much! i move to uni in september so i think it’s also the added pressure of trying to get my license before then that makes me nervous. thanks for the encouragement (:
Reply 5
It’s really early days, those first lessons are are the toughest and then your skill and confidence begins to grow. Different instructions will have different approaches, personally I think being in the driving seat from the start is best. The instructor is still in charge and there to stop you getting in to serious trouble. The only thing I would say is that if he’s showing signs of impatient with you it’s not great teaching and you might consider changing. Mind you overall he seems quite encouraging so maybe try a few more lessons
Yes, I agree it's completely normal to feel like that when you start to learn to drive! I was still stalling sometimes and mixing up gears months after starting to learn. It's ok to make mistakes because you are a learner - that's literally the whole point. Nobody learns to drive immediately, and when you are learning so much all at once it is really hard to remember everything, so don't beat yourself up about it!
You will get there, I promise.
Yea It's pretty normal to struggle with clutch & gears for a good while...

But to be glib, what instructor and random lady are saying is right, you need to calm down and take a few mental steps back about gear shifts. The clutch requires finesse, not quick jerks and the same for the shifter, your gear selections need to be confident and firm, not a desperate wrestle. None of these components respond well to reckless movements and all it will do is stress the rest of your driving tasks.

If your car starts to kangeroo or grind, be ready on the brake and depress the clutch again to separate the engine from the transmission until you work out what you did wrong and try again. Clutch control deffo is a skill that takes time... but being able to stop the car jumping and grinding should be a priority... it's easy to say instructors have insurance and should be professional, but I'd expect them still to fume a bit inside at their car doing that repeatedly.
Reply 8
Original post by lizzy04x
I’ve had 4 hours but feel like i’m still making the same mistakes as the first lesson and not really progressing. I feel horrible because although i’m lucky that my mum is paying for my lessons, i don’t want to waste her money as i feel like i’m just doing bad which is unfair for her :/

1st lesson -
- i drove from home, my instructor has never once drove and always sits in passenger seat which i was not expecting for my first lesson as everyone told me they’d drive me to a quiet place first (but tbf my area is quiet)

- we practised mainly left turns

2nd lesson
- practiced left and right turns and went on a few main roads
- i stalled a few times, the car also started kangarooing and junking. It was very loud and embarrassing to the point a lady in another car told me i needed to calm down

3rd lesson
- basically the same as the second lesson but we stayed off the main road as he could tell i was nervous

4th lesson (worst one so far)
- we were on main roads
- i kept changing the gear too fast and sometimes i would even end up in the wrong gear (i think it was due to my nerves)

- the car also kangarooed and stalled which was embarrassing

- i could tell the instructor was getting frustrated as he started telling me things like “it’s not difficult” and said i shouldn’t be forgetting the things i did in the first lesson :/
(i always watch driving lessons in my spare time but when it comes to my lessons i don’t know what happens)

- he kept trying to advise me such as be slow as i’m changing gears etc and i felt bad because he probably thought i was just not listening to him as i would still make the same mistake but i think it was just me being nervous

- also he’d say that he’s gonna keep quiet and let me do it myself but would still end up helping me because of how bad i was

- at the end of the lesson he told me 99% of my driving was good apart from the odd mistake but he was just staying that to make me feel better lol because i know myself it wasn’t great. he also said that he didn’t have to help me use the controls bur during the lesson i would see his foot on the break etc so i know he just doesn’t want to upset me as he could probably tell i was disappointed in myself

- is it bad that i’m still struggling with changing gears smoothly after 4 hours? pls be honest and is there any advice anyone has for me?

There is no harm in changing gears too slow. Especially whenever I used to go from 2nd into 3rd, I used to rush it and try to quickly change it until my instructor told me to take my time with it. Now I've done it slow so many times to the point I can change gear comfortably. Try to do a drill where you change between all the gears while the car is parked and stationary.
Okay thank you i’ll try that next time (:

Make sure you don’t develop it into a habit though, looking down at gears is technically a minor. Just do it for now until you get a feel for it then force yourself to change gears without looking down.
thank you everyone for your replies really appreciate them, took a screenshot of all of them to remind myself before my next lesson, and if you’ve got anymore advice for me please let me know thanku!
Original post by Keon_J
There is no harm in changing gears too slow. Especially whenever I used to go from 2nd into 3rd, I used to rush it and try to quickly change it until my instructor told me to take my time with it. Now I've done it slow so many times to the point I can change gear comfortably. Try to do a drill where you change between all the gears while the car is parked and stationary.

my main issue is changing from 1st to 2nd gear especially when moving off it’s never quite smooth. when i try to take my time with it the car goes so slowly as if it’s about to stop and then my instructor tells me to go quicker so then i think that’s why i panic and try to to do it quickly but that just makes it worse.

also with my instructors car, he says i don’t need to move off with gas and raising the clutch to the biting point is fine, but is it possible that this is why i’m finding it difficult?
and do you have any tips about changing from 1st to second gear once moving off please?
(edited 1 year ago)
thank you everyone for your replies really appreciate them, took a screenshot of all of them to remind myself before my next lesson, and if you’ve got anymore advice for me please let me know thanku!

Another thing I found that is working for me currently, this is a bit personal but try it and see if it works for you, is writing down what I need to work on after each lesson. For example, today, one of my main learning points was that I need to look out for road signs more. There was a moment where I stuck to 20 on a 30 road, but my instructor told me what I needed to do. I would’ve failed for not speeding up appropriately. So now I’m just going to write it down on the long list of learning points that I have in my notebook.

In my previous lesson, it was that I needed to stop accelerating too fast on turns. In todays lesson, this majorly improved, and I feel much more in control now using less clutch, and getting the required speed on approach. Basically, you want to get to a point where you’re learning something new in each lesson and correcting it before the next. Re-read your faults back again before the following lessons so you know not to make the same mistakes again.

Another thing I found worked for me is speaking out loud about what you’re going to do next in lessons. For example, if you see a long sided vehicle (lorry, vans etc) then verbalise that you’re going to keep extra distance behind it because you need to be able to see ahead. Or saying this like, on a right turn, you need to get the right position so that you don’t cut the corner. Getting into the habit of verbalising what you’re going to do will subconsciously allow the examiner to have faith in your driving. Try it yourself and see if it works for you. It’s a bit personal but if you’re like me and think a lot, then this really helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
thank you so much! i move to uni in september so i think it’s also the added pressure of trying to get my license before then that makes me nervous. thanks for the encouragement (:

Try to get that deadline out of your head.. it's quite soon, and tests are booked up until past then now anyway! (So you'd have to book a date and then try and get a cancellation).

There's nothing wrong with not passing before you go to uni. You almost certainly won't want to take a car to uni anyway, so you can either carry on with some lessons at uni, or when you come home at weekends/holidays.

It would be nice to pass, but don't worry if you don't.

I started learning the spring before uni, exactly like you, with the aim to pass. I didn't, and then I ended up not even going back to it until I was 24 because I just didn't need to drive at the time! I've been driving for almost 7 years now and I'm not disadvantaged in the slightest from the fact that I didn't pass before I went to uni :smile:.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Another thing I found that is working for me currently, this is a bit personal but try it and see if it works for you, is writing down what I need to work on after each lesson..

thank you that’s really good advice. my instructor also told me to try verbalising what i’m gonna do just like u said so i’ll make sure to do more of that too :smile:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Try to get that deadline out of your head.. it's quite soon, and tests are booked up until past then now anyway! (So you'd have to book a date and then try and get a cancellation).

honestly i agree because it just adds to the pressure but it’s my mum who really wants me to pass before uni and just get it over and done with even though i most likely won’t be buying a car anytime soon.

and since she’s the one paying for my lessons i just wanna pass quick so she doesn’t have to spend loads of money on me.

i’ll take every lesson as it comes and just focus on getting better each lesson. thank you!
my main issue is changing from 1st to 2nd gear especially when moving off it’s never quite smooth. when i try to take my time with it the car goes so slowly as if it’s about to stop and then my instructor tells me to go quicker so then i think that’s why i panic and try to to do it quickly but that just makes it worse.

also with my instructors car, he says i don’t need to move off with gas and raising the clutch to the biting point is fine, but is it possible that this is why i’m finding it difficult?
and do you have any tips about changing from 1st to second gear once moving off please?

What speed are you normally going at before you change into second gear? I usually go just a bit over before I change into 2nd.
What part of the gear change is taking you the longest? Is it the part where you pull the gear lever from 1st to 2nd?

Some instructors teach this method of only moving off with bringing the clutch to the biting point and adding no gas. There's nothing "wrong" with doing it but it's just a bad way to do it because it's impossible to pull off in petrol cars (you're probably driving a diesel if he's teaching you that). I had a instructor that was teaching me this way and I left him after only having one lesson with him and went to an instructor that taught me gas first. Adding gas and then raising the clutch to the bite is so much better and it means you are less likely to stall.

This is how I move from 1st to 2nd. I build the speed up to around 11/12 mph in 1st gear first (the ideal speed in the car I'm learning to go to 2nd gear is 9/10 mph). I come off the gas pedal, then go clutch down fully and change from 1st into 2nd which is just pushing the gear level straight down. Then as soon as I shift into 2nd with the gear level I come up with the clutch just before the bite point, add gas and then finish coming off with the clutch but do this bit VERY slowly to prevent any kangaroo-ing from happening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending