The Student Room Group

is this normal behaviour from a driving instructor?

hey i’ve picked up on a few things that my driver instructor has done and i dont know if i’m just nitpicking here so please can someone tell me if i’m just overthinking it?

i’ve just had my 5th lesson and basically just getting used to being more confident on the main roads and following directions etc

- last lesson i kept lifting the clutch too high and making mistakes and my instructor started telling me “it’s not difficult” and saying i shouldn’t be forgetting things from the first lesson, he seemed to be getting irritated but tbh i don’t blame him because my 4th lesson was awful haha
i was disappointed in my self that lesson so over the week i watched more videos on clutch control and i was much better this lesson.

- during todays lesson (5th) the driving instructor made me stop at a small petrol shop so he could buy something and was gone for 5 minutes, is this normal for an instructor to do? as i feel like every minute counts especially when ur paying £28 an hour😫

- later on in the lesson i lifted my clutch too fast so the car slightly jolted and he was said i’ve had too many hours to still be doing that mistake, and said normally people only do that mistake in the first or maybe second lesson not the 5th, ngl it made me feel just a tiny bit bad lol because i don’t mind constructive criticism since that’s what he’s here for but when ur comparing me to other peoples progress it’s not the nicest feeling and just makes me feel even more nervous. also their situation might be different like they might have practise outside of lessons or a smaller gap in between lessons. does anyone know what i mean or am i just being overly sensitive?

- also a few lessons ago he forgot to show up

what do you think, am i just nitpicking?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lizzy04x
what do you think, am i just nitpicking?

You're not just nitpicking, no.

He shouldn't be using the time you're paying him to teach to you, to pop into the shop at a petrol station to buy something. He should do that in his own time (or add 5 minutes to the end of the lesson).

Also, getting irritated because you've forgotten something isn't really the best way to behave. Driving instructors needs to have near endless patience and need to accept that people learn at different rates.

Ditch him and move on.
Reply 2
I had a great instructor, we had fun and it was sad when it was time to finish our lessons and move on. I cant count how many dumb mistakes I made and only passed my exam from 2nd try. Your instructor sounds like a real *******, I would end lessons with him and move on. My first instructor was similar, he was complaining that my sudden braking was HURTING HIS NECK, it was super uncomfortable to drive a car with him and I went to each lesson like for a torture.
All the best.
It’s not normal for them to yell at you, no.

I agree, just find a new one.
dump his petrol station shopping ass
thanks everyone for your reply, didn’t realise how bad it sounds until reading all the replies.
unfortunately i payed for 10 lessons upfront and have only had 5 so i have to stick with him for a few more lessons until i can find a new one, hopefully it gets better!🥲

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending