The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Phantom Phoenix
A quick Google suggests that questions about religious affiliation are in fact illegal at interview, as you say. (Why, I have no idea, since they're allowed to add it as a voluntary question to application forms.) However, it sounds like you are actively anticipating discrimination, which is rather sad. What makes you think your brother "obviously" won't get the job?

Nope because my brother said his facial expressions changed. And seemed less relunctant with taking him on. Plus Im sorry but when you've been discriminated so many times your likely to be a happy old chap and with everything in the media about Muslims obviously we have to work extra hard to get what we deserve.
Reply 41
Is this another 'why does everyone hate muslims' thread? =(
Lujayne
I would rather get more hassle in this world cause I believe there's better for followers of Islam in the hereafter :smile:

Fixed.

But yeah, I don't see why they thought your brother's religion should be a factor when deciding whether or not they should employ him. You don't know for sure that he hasn't got the job yet though...
Reply 43
Lujayne
if the same question was asked to a non-muslim would you not take offence to it?

No. But then, even if I were a Muslim I wouldn't think the world was out to get me.
Reply 44
hec
Let it go for ***** sake

Maybe it's easy for you who may have a nice job and cosy house, but others need to work for a living. No need to swear either, don't like the thread leave. :rolleyes:
pamelaa
I really doubt they would.

I've been asked before if I would be unable to work Sundays because of "religious commitments"and I didn't take it personally. I don't really see why anyone else should.

Plus, the OP's brother seems to have given a perfectly good answer; I'd be happy to employ him if I was doing the hiring.
What is it with racial discrimination? Is that a new excuse to do anything you like and complain about anything?

Its because of all these "racism" complaints that makes people worried about employing Muslims as they think they are more likely to have law cases against them. No proof of that, but that's what I'd suggest.
Reply 47
kat2pult
Is this another 'why does everyone hate muslims' thread? =(

You know how to exit a thread?
Titch89
What proof does the OP's brother have that if he is turned down, it is related to his religion?

He has no proof at all - but he still should relay the questions back to head office as they may not approve of such questions (or they may in which case the brother would have to accept that there was probably a better candidate).
Lujayne
Nope because my brother said his facial expressions changed. And seemed less relunctant with taking him on. Plus Im sorry but when you've been discriminated so many times your likely to be a happy old chap and with everything in the media about Muslims obviously we have to work extra hard to get what we deserve.

Well, if your brother is as paranoid as you then he probably saw what he wanted to see, to be quite frank.

I'm sorry if you've experienced prejudice, but so have I in the past (to the extent of people shouting insults at me in public). I don't think that everyone's out to get me so you have no excuse to either.
Reply 50
Jungle Is Massive
Fixed.

But yeah, I don't see why they thought your brother's religion should be a factor when deciding whether or not they should employ him. You don't know for sure that he hasn't got the job yet though...

Exactly
Reply 51
Lujayne
And positive discrimination is a good thing? Rather than gaining job on our merit we just get it to fit the quota, that really makes us ethnic people feel good :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was good but its not the employers fault. Maybe you could lead a rebellion over the positive discrimination regime; because its the governments fault not the employer.

:biggrin:
Reply 52
Phantom Phoenix
He hasn't been discriminated against. They could have asked everyone who came to interview, for all we know.

Yeah they could have, but why would they ask him a question about his religion if it wasn't in their selection criteria?
Reply 53
I believe they have to ask those questions for equality and diversity stuff anyway?
Reply 54
bean87
don't be muslim. be atheist. less hassle

:love:
But there would be no way that you could prove his religion was the reason he didn't get the job, they will just say they found a better candidate.

Single mothers sometimes have been asked: What would you do if your child fell ill, would you come into work?
now really this question is not allowed to be asked,
but is not really heard about.
but because this is religion I guess people have to make a fuss out of it.
If he gets the job then what's all the fuss about?
Reply 57
Why do employers want to know your religion?
Reply 58
TheMeister
What is it with racial discrimination? Is that a new excuse to do anything you like and complain about anything?

Maybe once you experience you will be speaking differently.
Reply 59
muslim

Latest

Trending

Trending