The Student Room Group

Changing lanes in roundabout after mistake

if we take the wrong lane in a roundabout, can we fix it by going around again and changing lanes later?

example 1: taking left lane for 3rd exit by mistake, after 3rd exit, moving to right lane again
example 2: taking right lane for 2nd exit, after 3rd exit, moving to left lane again.

is it illegal to change lanes this way?
Can you? Sure you can, people do it all the time. Best not to in busy traffic, though - just go down the exit you set up for. If you've got a satnav it'll reroute you. If not, pull over safely and figure out a new route manually.

I suspect you'd fail a driving test if you did it then.

If you do it in a lesson as a new learner, your instructor will tell you what to do.
Reply 2
Original post by skylark2
Can you? Sure you can, people do it all the time. Best not to in busy traffic, though - just go down the exit you set up for. If you've got a satnav it'll reroute you. If not, pull over safely and figure out a new route manually.

I suspect you'd fail a driving test if you did it then.

If you do it in a lesson as a new learner, your instructor will tell you what to do.

as it says in here, they wont fail u for changing lanes safely in the test
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/learning-to-drive/roundabouts/

Do u think the SATNAV direction is always right on the roundabout exit? Since we know the number of exits doesn't matter, Can we rely on it , when it says "take right on the roundabout" (the right lane can be before/after 12 o'clock)
Original post by drkfuture
as it says in here, they wont fail u for changing lanes safely in the test
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/learning-to-drive/roundabouts/

Do u think the SATNAV direction is always right on the roundabout exit? Since we know the number of exits doesn't matter, Can we rely on it , when it says "take right on the roundabout" (the right lane can be before/after 12 o'clock)

I think you'd be well advised to think about the correct lane yourself rather than relying on the satnav to get it right for you - I've reported nonsense and dangerous roundabout instructions to Googlemaps myself before.

What the satnav's most useful for in this situation is sorting yourself out after it's gone wrong and you've had to take the wrong exit rather than change lanes unsafely (if it was safe to change lanes then everything's fine anyway). As a learner that's almost certainly not relevant as the instructor will tell you what to do. (That's if you've got yourself in a lane that's too far left. If you are too far right, you can almost always just go round the roundabout again.)
Reply 4
Original post by skylark2
As a learner that's almost certainly not relevant as the instructor will tell you what to do. (That's if you've got yourself in a lane that's too far left. If you are too far right, you can almost always just go round the roundabout again.)

if you've got yourself in a lane that's too far left or in the middle, cant u go round the roundabout to fix it again?
if you've got yourself in a lane that's too far left or in the middle, cant u go round the roundabout to fix it again?

You can keep circulating to take your exit, (presuming that you are not in a lane which is for exiting only) but you should not be changing lanes (outside of the road markings) unless you are very certain that there is no one else around.

It might help to watch a couple of videos about spiral or multi lane roundabouts. As above, I would not be taking instructions solely from the satnav.
Pretty sure I got a serious fault on my first test for trying to exit a roundabout from the right hand lane into the left hand exit lane without taking much in the way of precautions.

Ditto I wouldn't take a satnav as gospel. They can suggest some pretty screwy things.
Original post by StriderHort
Pretty sure I got a serious fault on my first test for trying to exit a roundabout from the right hand lane into the left hand exit lane without taking much in the way of precautions.

Ditto. In my case they put it down as a serious fault for observations, (from memory I did have a quick look around but they must have needed something more substantial for exiting from the right lane).
Reply 8
You don’t get anything noted down for going the wrong way!! Don’t risk a major or minor switching lanes when you can just take the next exit.
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
You can keep circulating to take your exit, (presuming that you are not in a lane which is for exiting only) but you should not be changing lanes (outside of the road markings) unless you are very certain that there is no one else around.

It might help to watch a couple of videos about spiral or multi lane roundabouts. As above, I would not be taking instructions solely from the satnav.

Thank u very much, actually, I watched many videos of roundabout. I came to know that u must take the right lane beforehand and stick to that even if it leads to the wrong way. I just wonder if we can CHANGE LANE when its safe in a roundabout.

Bcoz we DO change lane when exiting from 1st lane-the innermost lane to 3rd exit after 12 o'clock. If we can do this, why cant we change lane the other way, I mean from left outermost lane to innermost lane when its safe during a second circulation of the roundabout (if we forgot to change lane in time). Here is a picture for what I meant:

This is what we regularly do:
Snipaste_2022-05-27_18-40-48.jpg

and this is WHAT I MEANT, can we do so?

What do u mean by " you are not in a lane which is for exiting only", what lanes are exit only? I suppose the lanes marked specifically for left or right!! Many left lanes are marked "left only"
(edited 1 year ago)

and this is WHAT I MEANT, can we do so?

What do u mean by " you are not in a lane which is for exiting only", what lanes are exit only? I suppose the lanes marked specifically for left or right!! Many left lanes are marked "left only"

Your example would most likely be an instant fail because changing lanes there would mean cutting off traffic turning right if there was any. If you were changing lanes, you'd want to do it before the second exit in that picture, though more ideally, as you enter (providing there's no other traffic). Even then, I'm not entirely sure how the examiner would look at it. Best to just commit to what you've done, just try to make sure you've not committed to going on the motorway since you can't drive on a motorway as a provisional holder without a fully qualified instructor by your side, in a dual control car.
Reply 11
Original post by TheMcSame
Your example would most likely be an instant fail because changing lanes there would mean cutting off traffic turning right if there was any. If you were changing lanes, you'd want to do it before the second exit in that picture, though more ideally, as you enter (providing there's no other traffic). Even then, I'm not entirely sure how the examiner would look at it. Best to just commit to what you've done, just try to make sure you've not committed to going on the motorway since you can't drive on a motorway as a provisional holder without a fully qualified instructor by your side, in a dual control car.

The traffic (brown car) turning right (in the 3rd exit) will be behind me, they are not supposed to enter until I pass, because I m already in the roundabout and have the right of way. If what u said is right, can also happen in the first picture (green car), I am also cutting off the traffic turning right or straight. If I can change lane from right to left (2nd lane to 1st Lane) in the first picture (green car), why cant I do the same from left to right (1st lane to 2nd lane). (Supposing the lane count starts from the left to right at any exit)
The traffic (brown car) turning right (in the 3rd exit) will be behind me, they are not supposed to enter until I pass, because I m already in the roundabout and have the right of way. If what u said is right, can also happen in the first picture (green car), I am also cutting off the traffic turning right or straight. If I can change lane from right to left (2nd lane to 1st Lane) in the first picture (green car), why cant I do the same from left to right (1st lane to 2nd lane). (Supposing the lane count starts from the left to right at any exit)

It's not the action I have an issue with. I just don't know how an examiner would look at it and, ultimately, until you pass your test, that's all that matters. People do things that examiners would shaft them for, despite the fact that there's generally no issue depending on circumstances. If someone goes straight on from a left turn only lane at a roundabout with no traffic around (this happens VERY often, even with traffic around because it goes against the usual roundabout design), they'd be slated for it during the test, but in reality, it doesn't matter if you're not impacting anyone.

A lot of the reasons for getting marked down on test stem from 'what ifs?', that's why I'm unsure. There are a lot of scenarios where you'd get marked down on test no matter what, but if you did them out on the road by yourself and made the proper observations, there'd be no danger to anyone.

What I am sure about is that you'd get slated for changing lane before the 3rd exit but after the 2nd UNLESS there are road markings stating the left lane also turns right (very rare). In which case, going from right to left would also be a no-no because both lanes go right, therefore the right lane exits into lane 2 of the 3rd exit.

However, because the left lane is left and straight, the right lane exits the roundabout into lane 1 UNLESS they're overtaking or turning right again shortly. They're supposed to exit into lane 1 because there isn't supposed to be any traffic to stop them.

The biggest issue with the diagram you proposed is that, at best, you're simply not following guidance on road-use. At worst, you're failing to follow road markings and/or signage.

The fact that you don't seem to see the issue with turning right from the left lane (unless road markings allow for it), is, quite frankly, very worrying if you intend to drive on public roads.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Original post by TheMcSame
It's not the action I have an issue with. I just don't know how an examiner would look at it and, ultimately, until you pass your test, that's all that matters. People do things that examiners would shaft them for, despite the fact that there's generally no issue depending on circumstances. If someone goes straight on from a left turn only lane at a roundabout with no traffic around (this happens VERY often, even with traffic around because it goes against the usual roundabout design), they'd be slated for it during the test, but in reality, it doesn't matter if you're not impacting anyone.

A lot of the reasons for getting marked down on test stem from 'what ifs?', that's why I'm unsure. There are a lot of scenarios where you'd get marked down on test no matter what, but if you did them out on the road by yourself and made the proper observations, there'd be no danger to anyone.

What I am sure about is that you'd get slated for changing lane before the 3rd exit but after the 2nd UNLESS there are road markings stating the left lane also turns right (very rare). In which case, going from right to left would also be a no-no because both lanes go right, therefore the right lane exits into lane 2 of the 3rd exit.

However, because the left lane is left and straight, the right lane exits the roundabout into lane 1 UNLESS they're overtaking or turning right again shortly. They're supposed to exit into lane 1 because there isn't supposed to be any traffic to stop them.

The biggest issue with the diagram you proposed is that, at best, you're simply not following guidance on road-use. At worst, you're failing to follow road markings and/or signage.

The fact that you don't seem to see the issue with turning right from the left lane (unless road markings allow for it), is, quite frankly, very worrying if you intend to drive on public roads.

thank u for the explnation, actually it just ccoured to me why we cant do this, I will never do this in the test or real life. So the finishing point is u can turn left from the right lane but not vice versa.

A relevant question is, the only traffic I should worry about is coming from the 2nd exit heading to 3rd exit, if I also want to take the 3rd exit. In this case, if I cant change the lane to the left for the oncoming car, I will let it pass in the left lane and I will take the right lane of the 3rd exit to get out (I can change to left lane later in that exit road), Am I right?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending