The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Accepted Falmouth offer, but its really bugging me…

I know that its a bit late now, but I have to just be honest and say that Falmouth as a place is somewhere I am absolutely loath to commit to living in.

Im not exactly a city girl but Ive grown up around London and thrive on the cosmopolitan environment; really big crowds, clubbing, museums, exploring, the life and vibrancy etc.
Falmouth is pretty much the complete antithesis of everything I enjoy.
I literally don’t even care about the ocean either- its a big cold water hole, which is fine. Zero opinions. Love that for her. Just don’t understand the hype of ‘commanding rolling waves and the salty breeze,’ . I prefer stones, streets and being able to see what my feet are touching thank u.
Im not that sporty and Im completely aware that Falmouth on balance is more socially inclined towards those kinds of activities than others.
Not to mention that getting home each break is going to be about 6 -8. hours on the train (might be a bit easier bc of The new Elizabeth line lol)

You may be completely flummoxed by my decision to accept the offer.
Why the hell would I want this¿
Its the course. Ive researched HUNDREDS of courses and Falmouth seems to tip the balance on essentially all fronts for Illustration both in the UK and availability worldwide.
The course is the only thing thats made me choose because creative industries are so niche, and art, well…its been my life since I was old enough to hold a flippin stick strong enough to draw in the dirt.

I’ve Made mistakes before in choosing my education that I’ve had to pay the price for with my health, in that the experiences were so horrid Im now stuck completely terrified of doing the same again…

I don’t know if it’s worth it, or if due to the nature of the uni I’ll be at a loss to find likeminded people. Course is important, but work isn’t everything.

Has anyone else been in a similar predicament before? What did you do? Do you have any regrets? Any city ppl who’ve gone to Fal and can give any advice I would really appreciate it
If you find you don’t like it then it’s generally possible to switch to illustration degrees at other universities.
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
A dilemma for sure - good luck. Sometimes we have to accept something we don't *want* to get what we *need*

In my experience, labelling things mistakes can make decision making harder not easier. Everything we do is about choice and consequence, if something doesn't work out we learn and move on. If you head off in September expecting to hate the place, that's going to be tough.

In some ways you and I are opposites. I grew up right by the sea near there, my parents were boatie, we lived on the harbour and we were at the beach all the time. I couldn't imagine not living in sight of the sea. But I needed to get to the best Uni for my career, which was Loughborough or Imperial back then.

I left home expecting to be miserable, expecting to be home every break (despite nearly 6 hours on the train) - but once at Uni (and in halls) made the most amazing friends, it almost didn't matter where I was. The course wasn't quite what I had expected (lot more work / science and a lot less industry connections) but it did open enough of the right doors. Lived all over the place since, but never at the sea.

FWIW Truro has a bit more going on and its only 30 mins by train - but living close to the Uni in year 1 will make it much easier to make solid friendships. If you can afford it you can fly from Newquay which may be quicker for you, sharing a taxi makes getting there a bit cheaper.

Also, pretty sure you can still withdraw from your application (or maybe even defer) if you need more thinking time. Anything stopping you taking a year out and looking at alternatives?
(edited 1 year ago)
I wouldn't go. You're going to hate life for three years and this will sour the entire experience, which is supposed to be one of the best of your life.

I would strongly suggest finding another course which finds the balance between location and quality of provision.

Alex

PS Don't try and then switch out later on- the first few weeks of uni are when friendship groups are formed. If you go then switch, you'll be an outsider for the remainder of your time at the new uni.

Quick Reply

Latest