The Student Room Group

What to do with money at 19

I have around 6k from a CTF and have saved up 2k whilst working during my gap year. Any advice as to where I should move that money into, so that I can at least gain some interest from it? Given that I probably won't use it anytime soon
(edited 1 year ago)
What’s CTF?
Reply 2
Original post by PastelColours
What’s CTF?

Child trust fund
Omg let me go and claim mine ty for the reminder
Original post by keeno25
I have around 6k from a CTF and have saved up 2k whilst working during my gap year. Any advice as to where I should move that money into, so that I can at least gain some interest from it? Given that I probably won't use it anytime soon

What sort of time scale do you mean by "not anytime soon"? Six months? A year? Five years? Ten years?
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
What sort of time scale do you mean by "not anytime soon"? Six months? A year? Five years? Ten years?

I'm going uni for 5 years so until after
Save it / add to it. Look at long term bonds and investing etc
Reply 7
Personally I'd keep it in the bank for now, I know inflation is a killer right now but the stock market isn't too clever either. Don't but low cap crypto either lol.
Original post by keeno25
I'm going uni for 5 years so until after

There are some fixed rate bonds out there that are 3 or 5 years. You can't touch it during that time but the interest is (comparably) pretty good. If you're thinking really long term then I'd suggest a help to buy isa or lifetime isa. Or do a combination of both, but 3k in a lifetime isa and but 2k in a fixed rate bond, save 1k as insurance while you work out your cost of living as a student.
Original post by keeno25

if you don't need it for uni at all, i would recommend putting it in a LISA or stocks and shares ISA so that it can grow while you're at uni. if you think you will need some/all of it put the bit you think you will need into a fixed or easy access savings account (use money saving expert to find a good one)
Reply 10
Original post by keeno25

Here are some true honest facts on what a good way to spend that would be.... um... it's coming... ME!!! I need money. Please!😅
Original post by 04MR17
There are some fixed rate bonds out there that are 3 or 5 years. You can't touch it during that time but the interest is (comparably) pretty good. If you're thinking really long term then I'd suggest a help to buy isa or lifetime isa. Or do a combination of both, but 3k in a lifetime isa and but 2k in a fixed rate bond, save 1k as insurance while you work out your cost of living as a student.

don't think you can get the help to buy isa anymore as the lifetime one replaced it
we gave the same advice at the same time tho lol
Original post by AliceKS
don't think you can get the help to buy isa anymore as the lifetime one replaced it
we gave the same advice at the same time tho lol

Interesting - the bank I'm with offered me one last week :lolwut:
Original post by 04MR17
Interesting - the bank I'm with offered me one last week :lolwut:

very :lolwut: just checked the gov.uk website and they're staying that you can no longer get them so not sure what your bank is on😂
Original post by AliceKS
very :lolwut: just checked the gov.uk website and they're staying that you can no longer get them so not sure what your bank is on😂

Ah I think they were offering me one as a transfer, which is why they're still available but not to new people!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending