The Student Room Group

Finished uni, staying with parents, council tax??

Hi,
So I've graduated uni last year and my parents just got a letter from the council saying they have to start paying around half of their council tax.

Since my dad started getting pension they were exempt from paying council tax. Had my parents call the city council and they just said "since you have another adult in the house, you gotta pay" and it's around £600.
I haven't found any jobs yet, been doing little freelancing jobs and a course since uni by itself didn't help me get into a job.

I've done some research and all I'm finding is that if there are 2 adults in the house and one is receiving pension, they shouldn't care about 1 other in the house, but the guy on the phone said it doesn't matter.

So, am I all of a sudden costing my parents £600 for deciding to finally finish uni? I'm stressed out about it since I just can't seem to be able to get into jobs due to my lack of any work experience.

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by GeorgeDG
Hi,
So I've graduated uni last year and my parents just got a letter from the council saying they have to start paying around half of their council tax.

Since my dad started getting pension they were exempt from paying council tax. Had my parents call the city council and they just said "since you have another adult in the house, you gotta pay" and it's around £600.
I haven't found any jobs yet, been doing little freelancing jobs and a course since uni by itself didn't help me get into a job.

I've done some research and all I'm finding is that if there are 2 adults in the house and one is receiving pension, they shouldn't care about 1 other in the house, but the guy on the phone said it doesn't matter.

So, am I all of a sudden costing my parents £600 for deciding to finally finish uni? I'm stressed out about it since I just can't seem to be able to get into jobs due to my lack of any work experience.

Thanks

You should speak to your council again, the fact you are unemployed will likely mean a big, if not complete, council tax reduction.
as GeorgeDG said; speak to council again- different people on the phone can have different advice and they often make mistakes.
You might also need to sign up at local job centre and possibly universal credit- as they might help you fill in application to be exempt form coucil tax or or receive council tax benefit (or something called similarly)
Reply 3

I've done some research and all I'm finding is that if there are 2 adults in the house and one is receiving pension, they shouldn't care about 1 other in the house,

Have you a link to this? That sounds mad...
Reply 4
Ok so after 4 phone calls and being on hold for around 1 hour for each, they told me yes, the changes are because of me, because I don't work and do not claim any benefits myself.

They basically forced me to apply for Universal Credit saying that if I claim it they won't deduct anything from my parents benefits. So yeah... I've heard stories from people about the job centre, how they want to see you on a regular basis in weird times like 8 in the morning to make you feel bad and accept some slave job somewhere far where you, sometimes, can get abused by other people, just so you can keep receiving Universal Credit.

Well, don't know if its all true but I already had 2 appointments with them, got another at the end of the month and they told I can't leave for more than 2 week and basically made me cancel my summer holiday with my family. Not worth the £250
Reply 5
Original post by Quady
Have you a link to this? That sounds mad...

What I meant was that if there are 2 adults in the house the council should not care if there is another.
Reply 6
What I meant was that if there are 2 adults in the house the council should not care if there is another.

They don't care if there are three or more adults in the house liable for council tax.

They do care if there is one person in the house liable who is not eligible for a discount.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending