The Student Room Group

Grades needed to get a 1st overall?

Hey everyone,

I'm at Uni of Northampton, I've just finished my 2nd year but I was hoping someone would be able to help me work out what grades I need to get in 3rd year so I can get a first.

I've just worked out that my overall grade for 2nd year is 72% (one mark away from finishing with an A-. Frustrating.)

The way my uni calculates degree classifications is that 1st year doesn't count, 2nd year accounts for 1/3 of final grade, and 3rd year accounts for 2/3. We take 100 credits each year, but 3rd year grades are then double weighted, so they add up to 200 credits.

So can someone tell me what average grade I'd need in 3rd year to achieve a 1st?
Assuming you need a simple 70% average overall to achieve a 1st (sometimes you also need to pass certain modules, or get minimum grades in all your modules, etc), then you'd need to average at least 69% in final year.

Although it seems odd you only do 100 credits each year, as normal full time study is 120 credits a year...unless you're on some different, weird credit system.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Assuming you need a simple 70% average overall to achieve a 1st (sometimes you also need to pass certain modules, or get minimum grades in all your modules, etc), then you'd need to average at least 69% in final year.

Although it seems odd you only do 100 credits each year, as normal full time study is 120 credits a year...unless you're on some different, weird credit system.

Thanks for that! Sorry, we do take 120 credits a year, but the bottom 20 credits are disregarded in the final grade and only the top 100 credits are calculated from each year (excl. 1st year).
Usually the grading system is something like this at Universities:

40-49% for a "3rd"
50-59% for a "2nd" or 2:2
60-69% for a "Higher 2nd" or 2:1
70% and above for a "1st"

So out of all of the units you do that count towards your degree, you'd need to get at least get 70% in everything to scrape a 1st. (Presuming a first is a 70% at your instituion).
With an average of 72% at L5 - converted to you say a "third" presume you mean 30% - in which case you will carry forward 21.6 actual marks towards your degree classification.
70 minus 21.6 = 48.4 - this is the actual converted grade you will need to achieve to get a 1st.
48.4 converts to between 69 and 70 which gives you the L6 average needed to achieve a first, so I would say you'll need a L6 average of 69.5% to be safe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending