The Student Room Group

Is UCL BA Media as good as advertised

Hi, I just got into UCL media BA, its quite a competitive course, and university overall. The media course is brand new, only started in 2021. I just wondered it there were any students who are currently taking the course that could let me know of its quality? Everything on the website sounds incredible, but I havn't seen anything about their facilties/equipment. I assume given the fact that UCL is a great university that the facility will also be amazing. But I have an increasing fear that because its a new course its not as good or concrete. Any advice on the matter would be great, Ive already accepted my offer because it's definitely going to be a great experience, but I still kind of want some questions answered. Thanks!
New courses are always a bit tricky because once all the plans are put into practice, the reality doesn't always come up to scratch. But this is quite normal and it's not at all unusual to find new courses being tweaked over the delivery of their first three years. You will be among the guinea pigs in the first couple of years but, at the same time, UCL will work hard to make sure any teething problems get sorted asap. It's ESSENTIAL to have good student reps and to feed back any issues promptly and through the proper channels (perhaps you could think about taking on this role?). Forge a good relationship with your Personal Tutor and tell them about anything affecting you personally about the way the course is being run - they will address this on your behalf within the team. Beyond that, enjoy the buzz of a new course, the staff team will be super keen to make it work. Good Luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
New courses are always a bit tricky because once all the plans are put into practice, the reality doesn't always come up to scratch. But this is quite normal and it's not at all unusual to find new courses being tweaked over the delivery of their first three years. You will be among the guinea pigs in the first couple of years but, at the same time, UCL will work hard to make sure any teething problems get sorted asap. It's ESSENTIAL to have good student reps and to feed back any issues promptly and through the proper channels (perhaps you could think about taking on this role?). Forge a good relationship with your Personal Tutor and tell them about anything affecting you personally about the way the course is being run - they will address this on your behalf within the team. Beyond that, enjoy the buzz of a new course, the staff team will be super keen to make it work. Good Luck!

Thanks so much! I think I might take up that when I start who knows. Really appreciate the responce, looking forward to starting in September! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jtpat
Hi, I just got into UCL media BA, its quite a competitive course, and university overall. The media course is brand new, only started in 2021. I just wondered it there were any students who are currently taking the course that could let me know of its quality? Everything on the website sounds incredible, but I havn't seen anything about their facilties/equipment. I assume given the fact that UCL is a great university that the facility will also be amazing. But I have an increasing fear that because its a new course its not as good or concrete. Any advice on the matter would be great, Ive already accepted my offer because it's definitely going to be a great experience, but I still kind of want some questions answered. Thanks!

hiii ! r u confirmed to do media in September, if so i
am too !
Hey I'm thinking of applying this year! What did you include in your personal statements?
Reply 5
Original post by TheSuckUpStudent
Hey I'm thinking of applying this year! What did you include in your personal statements?

This aged well!
Original post by Wasif04
This aged well!

why hello there, fancy meeting you here!!
Reply 7
why hello there, fancy meeting you here!!

just stalking old posts trying to revive dead people and contact people doing the course, don’t mind me!
Original post by Wasif04
just stalking old posts trying to revive dead people and contact people doing the course, don’t mind me!

You'll probably bump into quite a few of my old posts ahaha! Good luck heheh
Reply 9
You'll probably bump into quite a few of my old posts ahaha! Good luck heheh

I’ve actually been successful like I revived 2 people that’s why Ali replied on the 2023 thread haha
Reply 10
Hi! Sorry for bringing this old thread back, but I was wondering what your personal statements like? I’m applying and I’m worried!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending