The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Cam and tuition fees?

Hey guys,

I am in my fourth year at Cambridge doing management, having completed the BA in History and obtained good honours. However, the course I am doing (for which I am still technically an undergrad) is absolute drivel, the worst thing I have ever studied, quite literally. Does anybody happen to know whether or not I would have to pay tuition fees should I elect to withdraw from the course and just graduate with my History BA? I genuinely can't stand it, and if I continue with it and do the exams I will end up with a significantly worse grade than my respectable degree thus far attained.

Thanks in advance

xxx
Reply 1
Why don't you ask the somebody at the uni - surely they'll be able to give you a definitive answer rather than what we can guess on this forum!

But you must be smart studying at Cambridge and how long more is the management course - I would say it's worth sitting it out for a degree that'll shape your entire life!

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
DJkG.1
Why don't you ask the somebody at the uni - surely they'll be able to give you a definitive answer rather than what we can guess on this forum!

But you must be smart studying at Cambridge and how long more is the management course - I would say it's worth sitting it out for a degree that'll shape your entire life!

Best of luck! :smile:

Thanks, I'm not exactly sure who to ask at the uni, though. The management course is only one year but words can't express how awful it is, and the main thing is that I will do poorly in the exams at the end because I can't bring myself to even look at the dross that the course covers. Obviously I would never normally drop out, except I already have a decent degree with a good grade (67% average) and a) there is no real point doing management in terms of grad jobs or further study and b) I will jeopardise it if I continue.
Reply 3
You were taking the piss out of SPS and you study History/Management?? :rolleyes:
Reply 4
jcb914
You were taking the piss out of SPS and you study History/Management?? :rolleyes:

Management is a joke subject. History is nowhere near SPS levels of incoherency, however. But that isn't the issue here.
Nyet
Management is a joke subject. History is nowhere near SPS levels of incoherency, however. But that isn't the issue here.

Do you know what SPS actually entails?
Reply 6
The West Wing
Do you know what SPS actually entails?

Can we not go on about SPS? I personally think it is an awful subject, having seen what they do and the standard of work people produce for it. But good for you if you enjoy it, whatever, well played. That's all that matters. Live and let live etc etc.
Nyet
Can we not go on about SPS? I personally think it is an awful subject, having seen what they do and the standard of work people produce for it. But good for you if you enjoy it, whatever, well played. That's all that matters. Live and let live etc etc.

How about the fact that we do shared modules with history and the SPS students regularly do better than the History students in those tripos papers?
Reply 8
The West Wing
How about the fact that we do shared modules with history and the SPS students regularly do better than the History students in those tripos papers?

That isn't true; I did one of those shared modules, and got a First in it; I saw the level of the SPSers in supervisions. Enough said. That isn't to say that a few are very good, of course they are. But certainly not the majority.
Wow, what's so awful about management? I always got the idea that it was quite highly regarded; perhaps I was mistaken. I'm afraid I have no idea whether or not you can graduate with your BA yet.
Reply 10
Supergrunch
Wow, what's so awful about management? I always got the idea that it was quite highly regarded; perhaps I was mistaken. I'm afraid I have no idea whether or not you can graduate with your BA yet.

Yes, I can graduate with my BA. I have completed three years of History, after all. Management is intensely awful; it is disjointed and disorganised, supervisors are clueless PhD students, nothing is theoretical, a lot of it is on spreadsheets(!) and everyone doing it wants to be a management consultant. It's loathsome.
haha my aunt is a management consultant
she tried to explain what it was but i couldnt understand what she actually DID :biggrin:
Nyet
Yes, I can graduate with my BA. I have completed three years of History, after all. Management is intensely awful; it is disjointed and disorganised, supervisors are clueless PhD students, nothing is theoretical, a lot of it is on spreadsheets(!) and everyone doing it wants to be a management consultant. It's loathsome.

Fair enough then, I'd hate to do that.
I had guessed it was History. They're the only people I've ever heard anything negative about SPS from.

Nyet: Have you asked in the student finance section of TSR? There are knowledgeable lurkers there (such as PQ), and probably a few stickies which bullet point the information you're after. Also the graduate section of the website.

Check the stickies and use search obviously. They probably get loads of questions repeated same as in here.

Latest

Trending

Trending