The Student Room Group

ASK sfe

Hi I am a current graduate entry dental student studying a 4 year accelerated degree. My previous degree was in dental hygiene and therapy. Before accepting my place I was told that I would be entitled to the following:

Tuition*Fees
My understanding;
Year*1*–*The*student*will*have*to*self*fund*the*first*£3,465- I have paid this money to the university directly already, however*a*tuition*fee*loan*will*be*available*for*the*remainder*of*up*to*£5,785.

Years*2-4*-*The*first*£3,715*will*be*paid*by*the*Department*of*Health*and*a*tuition*fee*loan*will*be*available*for*the*remainder*of*up*to*£5,535.

However there appears to be an error in the assessment of my application for tuition fee loan in that my study is being classed as*undergraduate*dentistry,*hence no*tuition*fee*loan*due*to*my previous*qualification in the same field. This has been really frustrating as I have followed all advice given by sfe in terms of how to make my application and in terms of what funding I will be eligible for and I am now on the verge of having to drop out of my course which I have left jobs and moved across the country for. This is also frustrating that a number of students in the exact same position as myself a prior degree in hygiene and therapy and then graduate entry dentistry are eligible for the above funding and have received this can anyone advise thank you
Original post by Olivia568
Hi I am a current graduate entry dental student studying a 4 year accelerated degree. My previous degree was in dental hygiene and therapy. Before accepting my place I was told that I would be entitled to the following:

Tuition*Fees
My understanding;
Year*1*–*The*student*will*have*to*self*fund*the*first*£3,465- I have paid this money to the university directly already, however*a*tuition*fee*loan*will*be*available*for*the*remainder*of*up*to*£5,785.

Years*2-4*-*The*first*£3,715*will*be*paid*by*the*Department*of*Health*and*a*tuition*fee*loan*will*be*available*for*the*remainder*of*up*to*£5,535.

However there appears to be an error in the assessment of my application for tuition fee loan in that my study is being classed as*undergraduate*dentistry,*hence no*tuition*fee*loan*due*to*my previous*qualification in the same field. This has been really frustrating as I have followed all advice given by sfe in terms of how to make my application and in terms of what funding I will be eligible for and I am now on the verge of having to drop out of my course which I have left jobs and moved across the country for. This is also frustrating that a number of students in the exact same position as myself a prior degree in hygiene and therapy and then graduate entry dentistry are eligible for the above funding and have received this can anyone advise thank you

Hi there,

It is best that you start a live chat on your account or call us, so that an adviser can check the assessment on your application.

0300 100 0607

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

It is best that you start a live chat on your account or call us, so that an adviser can check the assessment on your application.

0300 100 0607

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare thanks for your response,

I have phoned sfe on 3 occasions now since being told I was not eligible for funding. I have now been told that the reason I can’t get funding is because of the exemptions list of courses and whether my second degree is graduate entry or not. I cannot believe I was not informed of this before hand when giving sfe details over the phone before I had accepted my place on the course as I wanted to ensure I could afford to study. It is also more unbelievable that students in the exact same position as myself with a previous degree in dental hygiene and therapy are now studying graduate entry dentistry with the 4 year accelerated funding.
Original post by Olivia568
Hi Clare thanks for your response,

I have phoned sfe on 3 occasions now since being told I was not eligible for funding. I have now been told that the reason I can’t get funding is because of the exemptions list of courses and whether my second degree is graduate entry or not. I cannot believe I was not informed of this before hand when giving sfe details over the phone before I had accepted my place on the course as I wanted to ensure I could afford to study. It is also more unbelievable that students in the exact same position as myself with a previous degree in dental hygiene and therapy are now studying graduate entry dentistry with the 4 year accelerated funding.

Hi Olivia,

I am sorry for this. We can't check accounts on this platform. Regarding eligibility, these are guidelines set out regarding exception courses for students that already hold a qualification. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending