The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Just got my MSc results back today and turns out I got a distinction! Woohoo! :biggrin:
Anyone know when postgrads graduate after having passed? Do they get the June graduation slot or do they have to wait till Aug/Sept?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Just realised I am now actually a current UCL student and therefore eligible to post in this thread :awesome:
I'm also eligible to post in this thread :h:
Reply 1583
Yay, finally officially a Fresher!

It seems incredible how someone's Fresher's Week might get so busy and complicated. My modules have got a bit messed up in terms of Language Centre (0.5 unit onstead of a 1.0 one), I have two clashes tomorrow (disabled students' meeting and transition) and I still haven't managed to open a British bank account nor get myself a UK number. But well, I still love the uni so far!! It's so amazing to taste freedom for the first time in my life, no parents around, buses operating even at 11 pm (remember, I am a profound villager!) and so many social events :smile:
Koko/Vodpop/Moonies alright then, freshers?
Original post by rockrunride

I have thus far experienced Koko and Moonies :smile: had a great time but I am now feeling distinctly unpleasantly ill, assuming this is the infamous fresher's flu.
Original post by dirtyoldriver
I have thus far experienced Koko and Moonies :smile: had a great time but I am now feeling distinctly unpleasantly ill, assuming this is the infamous fresher's flu.

That's a hangover :fyi:

didn't like vodpop...anw what are the other student places good to go throughout the year?
Reply 1588
Does Vodpop even still exist? One of the events in freshers was called vodpop, then never another one after that...
Original post by Lizia

Original post by Lizia
Does Vodpop even still exist? One of the events in freshers was called vodpop, then never another one after that...

Every monday apparently, there's one next week too :yep:
Original post by Lizia

Yeah there was one a month when I was a fresher in first term, then it fizzled out because nobody rated it; after the first two everyone realised it was a massive sausage fest and went to Moonies instead where the same was true but on a lesser scale, and Moonies had cheaper drinks.

How's Milan by the way?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1591
Yeah there was one a month when I was a fresher in first term, then it fizzled out because nobody rated it; after the first two everyone realised it was a massive sausage fest and went to Moonies instead where the same was true but on a lesser scale, and Moonies had cheaper drinks.

How's Milan by the way?

Milan is awesome. The weather is still really lovely at the moment, everyone at ESN seems really nice, and my flat is great. Lectures are awful, I don't understand a word and they're non-compulsory so it's really tempting to just stay home and do the reading. It feels a bit weird at the moment because although I've met people and gone out lots, I obviously don't know them that well so I find myself comparing them to my 'real' friends back home. I'll get over it though :smile: How is it being back in London?

Although my facebook was full of friends back in London raving about the first moonies of term and I was actually a little jealous. What is wrong with me?!
Reply 1592

I have literally never seen drinks as expensive as they were in Koko in my entire life :eek: Someone paid in excess of £8 for a double vodka and coke. I mean, what?

Went to Phineas last night and discovered that it's basically a sauna :wink: For £1.60 drinks though, can we even complain?
Reply 1593
Go to Ruby Blue in Leicester Square. I once paid £12 for a double vodka orange (very drunk already, I should add). And then come to Milan. My friend paid €10 for a shot yesterday.
Original post by kerily
I have literally never seen drinks as expensive as they were in Koko in my entire life :eek: Someone paid in excess of £8 for a double vodka and coke. I mean, what?

Went to Phineas last night and discovered that it's basically a sauna :wink: For £1.60 drinks though, can we even complain?

The heat in there :O Drinks aren't too bad but the music is way too loud for a bar without dancing.
Reply 1595
Original post by Noodlzzz
The heat in there :O Drinks aren't too bad but the music is way too loud for a bar without dancing.

You can kind of talk. Kind of. If you shout.

Speaking of heat, who's been to the Freshers' Fayre? Oh dear lord. I thought I was going to melt into a small puddle on the floor.
Reply 1596
Original post by kerily
You can kind of talk. Kind of. If you shout.

Speaking of heat, who's been to the Freshers' Fayre? Oh dear lord. I thought I was going to melt into a small puddle on the floor.

Yeah, the weather's been annoying. I think the reps should offer drinks instead of sweets and other freebies :biggrin: Especially Masaryk Society, as they put on their stall a statement "I LOVE BEER!"
Reply 1597
Original post by Ivanka
Yeah, the weather's been annoying. I think the reps should offer drinks instead of sweets and other freebies :biggrin: Especially Masaryk Society, as they put on their stall a statement "I LOVE BEER!"

Do you know what the Masaryk Society actually is/does? I didn't get chance to talk to them and ask, and I kind of wanted to :tongue:

I now own more promotional literature/flyers than I ever have in my entire life :yep: What's everyone signed up to?
Reply 1598
Original post by kerily
Do you know what the Masaryk Society actually is/does? I didn't get chance to talk to them and ask, and I kind of wanted to :tongue:

I now own more promotional literature/flyers than I ever have in my entire life :yep: What's everyone signed up to?

It's a society for those interested in Middle and Eastern Europe, hence the name (Masaryk was the first president of Czechoslovakia and also helped to set up the UCL's School of Eastern European Studies). They hold some exhibitions, trips and film venues, but their activity is mostly centered around drinking, from what I've gathered from their webpages (a vodka drinking competition and a trip to Prague pubs :tongue:).

I signed up for Comedy Club (but contemplate unsubscribing as the guy at the stall looked sleepy and surprised that thre was a comedy night a few days ago), DanceSoc, DebatingSoc, DramaSoc, Pi Media, IranianSoc, IslamicSoc, Kite Club, LGBT, Young Writers Soc, MasarykSoc, MUNSoc, Music Soc, Pro Bono Soc and QuantSoc. Will reduce it afterwards. Am I not the only one signing up for too many? :biggrin:
Reply 1599
Original post by Ivanka
It's a society for those interested in Middle and Eastern Europe, hence the name (Masaryk was the first president of Czechoslovakia and also helped to set up the UCL's School of Eastern European Studies). They hold some exhibitions, trips and film venues, but their activity is mostly centered around drinking, from what I've gathered from their webpages (a vodka drinking competition and a trip to Prague pubs :tongue:).

Don't mind me and my total ignorance about your homeland :colondollar: Now I know!

I signed up for Comedy Club (but contemplate unsubscribing as the guy at the stall looked sleepy and surprised that thre was a comedy night a few days ago), DanceSoc, DebatingSoc, DramaSoc, Pi Media, IranianSoc, IslamicSoc, Kite Club, LGBT, Young Writers Soc, MasarykSoc, MUNSoc, Music Soc, Pro Bono Soc and QuantSoc. Will reduce it afterwards. Am I not the only one signing up for too many? :biggrin:

You're definitely not the only one :smile:

I signed up to LGBT (the guy's hair was actually amazing), rock and metal, music, comedy, art, Europe, German, magic, the women's one, Wing Chun, a load of the left-wing ones that were giving out leaflets outside, T'North, and probably a lot of other stuff too! I'm thinking of refining it once I've worked out whose socials and events are actually good :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending