The Student Room Group

Uni and part time job (doable?)

Starting uni this year but also really need money, I'm doing a theoretical physics course but I need to work around 16 hours a week to afford my apartment and food (I'm flat sharing)
Is this doable? I don't want it to impact my studying and will still be aiming for around 40 hours studying a week
Edit: I'll also have to retain this job through my second and third year
(edited 1 year ago)
I did 8 hours per week of work for 5 years of university, including this year when I was scheduled to attend university on the weekend.

I’m not sure about 16 hours. I know someone who did that, but this was their second degree so that probably had an impact on time management.
Original post by gvsc889
Starting uni this year but also really need money, I'm doing a theoretical physics course but I need to work around 16 hours a week to afford my apartment and food (I'm flat sharing)
Is this doable? I don't want it to impact my studying and will still be aiming for around 40 hours studying a week

Hiya

It really depends on your personal characteristics. Have you ever had a part-time job before? If yes, how did you get on with it? If you haven't, it might be better to start with lesser hours and then once you've got an idea of how many hours you need to dedicate to academics, you can increase work in accordance with that. It's usually the jobs on campus that require fewer hours and are usually paid more than the minimum wage- you should be able to find these listed on your uni's careers portal. Simultaneously, have you secured a maintenance loan? That might be able to help with half the costs along with what you earn from your part-time job.

-Himieka
Original post by gvsc889

Managing a part-time job depends on the demands of your course and your ability to manage your time and organisation. If your course requires a lot of independent studying, try to keep workings to 16 hours as a maximum. It would be a good idea to understand your timetable and the expectations the lecturers asked of you and what you need to achieve to get through the academic year, taking into account your goals and what you hope to accomplish in the academic year. It's a good opportunity to invest in a planner or diary, either physical or digital (i.e. google calendar) so that you can plan out a schedule. That way you can allocate time for studying, attending classes, life admin, social life, taking care/making time for yourself, and work. Hopefully, this gives you a rough idea of the time you have to work with and where you can fit in work. Don't forget to consider your academic abilities and how well you can understand the work because if the work is challenging you may need to give yourself more time to focus on your work and remind yourself that your uni is a priority. If you find you're alright and you can increase your work hours, then adjust to your level of comfort. Be mindful that successfully pulling off uni and a part-time job will come down to how well you manage yourself.

Veronica
Original post by gvsc889

40 hours per week around studies dependent on how many days per week of uni you have and how much you’ll have to consume and take in as in the lectures etc do you think you’ll be able to manage it and not get burned out :confused: ?
Original post by gvsc889

Hi @gvsc889

Having a part-time job alongside your degree is 100% doable! Working as a student ambassador is my part-time job, and the flexible hours and being able to pick up hours when I have time help me dedicate enough time to my degree. I find jobs at the uni often are more flexible and understanding of the demands on students, and often pay above minimum wage. I also try and keep my degree 9-5 where possible which helps me stay organised. 16 hours a week would probably be too much for me personally, but it does depend on your coursework and how organised you are!
One way to reduce hours during term time could be working extra during holidays and saving up if possible. Also, take some time to look at different bursaries/scholarships/awards you could apply for, whether that be at your uni or external, and apply to as many as possible if you fit the criteria. The worst that will happen is they say no!

Hope this helps,
Kat
Reply 6
Original post by gvsc889

Hi! How are you coping so far? I'm also going to do a physics degree and hope to do some work in the meantime for money too. Do you have any life lessons that you are kind enough to share?
Original post by gvsc889

Hey there @gvsc889 !
I currently study in second year at Sheffield Hallam and have two part-time jobs alongside university. I also try to go to the gym once a day as it's something I really enjoy doing. Because of this, I've had to sacrifice going out throughout the week and sticking to weekends only to make sure I'm doing the right amount of university work. It's worked out as a blessing for me as it's made the time I spend with my friends feel a lot more special and I don't get bored of nights out as easily. I started off by not having a job so I could get freshers week and the Halloween nights-out out of my system but since then I've settled down and tend to stick to weekends now. This does mean sometimes I have to go out after working a shift which can be tiring but I am happy to do it as it's good to have a good work-life balance.

As long as you get a job that you enjoy doing, so it doesn't feel like such a chore for you, then there's no reason why it can't work for you. It may become difficult if your housing contracts end at certain times and you will have no where to live until the next one starts so that's always something to take into account. Most chain jobs want someone to do extra hours during busy period such as Christmas, Easter and summer holidays so it shouldn't be hard to pick up the extra when you want it.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by gvsc889

Hi gvsc889,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.
Balancing school and a part-time job is hard. There is no doubt about that but at the same point is doable. You just need to find the right balance. You need to prioritize your schedule and needs but at the same time, you also need to give yourself a break and let free of yourself. In the beginning, you can start by taking shifts on the day when you are not in school, and on the days that you have school, you can arrange your day in such a way that you have some study time to revise everything that you have learned at school. Make sure you are not pre-occupying yourself.

Hope this helps. I hope you have a good experience balancing school and work.

Warm Regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Amabassador
MSc Business Analytics
Coventry University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending