The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist ama

I used to be a catholic up until my late teens. My parents are highly religious so I still pray and go to church.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,
I've just moved your thread to a more relevant forum :smile:
will you ever tell your parents?
When you say you pray despite being an atheist, why? Do you go to church and just join in group prayers like the Hail Mary, Our Father etc. or do you genuinely pray to yourself? If so, why and what/who is it directed at?
Do you still live with your parents?
If not, why do you feel compelled to go to church?
If so, do you aim to move out and what will you do religion-wise once that happens?
Reply 5
Original post by 29swife
will you ever tell your parents?

I pretty much told my direct family straight away. If it came up in conversation, or we talked about religion I wouldn't hide my views. I was very outspoken about it
Reply 6
Original post by Rufus The Red
Do you still live with your parents?
If not, why do you feel compelled to go to church?
If so, do you aim to move out and what will you do religion-wise once that happens?

Yes I live with my parents so I pretty much have to go, or argue every Sunday morning instead :biggrin:!

I've been away a few times (uni, living away) and I don't go to church, so once I move out permanently I don't really plan to go unless there is an occasion or something
Reply 7
You say you're an atheist-have you ever believed in God? If so, why did you stop believing?
Reply 8
Original post by SirNoodles
When you say you pray despite being an atheist, why? Do you go to church and just join in group prayers like the Hail Mary, Our Father etc. or do you genuinely pray to yourself? If so, why and what/who is it directed at?

Yes I go to church and join in group prayers, but during family visits or at home I'm sometimes called upon to pray, even more so now that my parents know.

In my mind I don't direct it to anyone, instead I kind of speak out loud things I wish for to know what to say.

There are times that I might say or do things out of compulsion, such as touching wood or saying 'god forbid' if I imagine something horrible but I don't genuinely take it serious.
Reply 9
Original post by Debs25
You say you're an atheist-have you ever believed in God? If so, why did you stop believing?

I grew up as a Catholic, and I would say that I was religious up until my late-mid teens. I would attend church every week, join prayer groups, read the bible and such. I even remember considering priesthood as a vocation. So what the hell happened?

I studied religious studies at school which included looking at arguments against God's existence. Since I went Catholic School I could sense that our teachers were somewhat biased, even mimicking the voices of well-known thinkers like Dawkins etc, but even so I was still exposed to very direct and compelling arguments against religion.

At the same time I grew up with a very strong expectation of what a relationship with God could be like, an expectation that I felt wasn't being realised. I also became more suspicious of organised religion and how they profiteered from people's faith, including mine.

So over a period of around 9 months I went through a prolonged period of doubt until I finally admitted I lost my faith.
Original post by n150
I grew up as a Catholic, and I would say that I was religious up until my late-mid teens. I would attend church every week, join prayer groups, read the bible and such. I even remember considering priesthood as a vocation. So what the hell happened?

I studied religious studies at school which included looking at arguments against God's existence. Since I went Catholic School I could sense that our teachers were somewhat biased, even mimicking the voices of well-known thinkers like Dawkins etc, but even so I was still exposed to very direct and compelling arguments against religion.

At the same time I grew up with a very strong expectation of what a relationship with God could be like, an expectation that I felt wasn't being realised. I also became more suspicious of organised religion and how they profiteered from people's faith, including mine.

So over a period of around 9 months I went through a prolonged period of doubt until I finally admitted I lost my faith.

Thank you for sharing. I suspect many people will identify with your experiences and stance.

I had a really good friend who was a very committed Christian until she studied theology at university. She questioned everything she'd been taught about God and drifted away from church. It was a good few years later that she began to question why we even exist and the purpose of life. It was at this point that she realised that it's not about church or organised religion, it's all about having a relationship with a living God. She's now come full circle and is training for the ministry!
What do you think about the growth in membership numbers & influence of traditionalist and ultra-traditionalist catholic groups like Opus Dei, Society of Saint Pius X, Regnum Christi or The Legion?

I'm a lazy catholic.
My mother was raised in a brutal ultra-traditionalist catholic household with a medieval mindset, got disowned when she decided to marry an atheist.
Maternal grandmother is a member of Opus Dei, remains the same vicious fanatic who sees the devil and sin wherever she looks that she's been her whole adult life.
Reply 12
Original post by Debs25
Thank you for sharing. I suspect many people will identify with your experiences and stance.

I had a really good friend who was a very committed Christian until she studied theology at university. She questioned everything she'd been taught about God and drifted away from church. It was a good few years later that she began to question why we even exist and the purpose of life. It was at this point that she realised that it's not about church or organised religion, it's all about having a relationship with a living God. She's now come full circle and is training for the ministry!

That's really interesting!

I do even wonder how my viewpoints might change in the future. Realistically, I would probably think the same by next year but in a decade from now you'd never know.

But I do think that even if I was to go back, my beliefs or practices will be slightly different. Would you say that your friend's current outlook on religion has some differences compared to before?
Reply 13
Original post by londonmyst
What do you think about the growth in membership numbers & influence of traditionalist and ultra-traditionalist catholic groups like Opus Dei, Society of Saint Pius X, Regnum Christi or The Legion?

I'm a lazy catholic.
My mother was raised in a brutal ultra-traditionalist catholic household with a medieval mindset, got disowned when she decided to marry an atheist.
Maternal grandmother is a member of Opus Dei, remains the same vicious fanatic who sees the devil and sin wherever she looks that she's been her whole adult life.

I'm not super familiar with the groups you've mentioned so I can't comment on what my view is on their growing numbers. I'm sure that these groups want to promote very traditional Christian values, which in some aspects could be good but could also cause an increase in intolerance against differing viewpoints or lifestyles.

Luckily I never had to experience being disowned just because of my beliefs not to talk of whom I associate with, but unfortunately as with your example and many others these things can still happen.

I do feel like some people feel as though their beliefs are increasingly under attack or that there is an evil conspiracy or agenda which in turn would make them want to hold on to their beliefs more harder and I can see it because I used to attend private prayer groups where I can hear 'end days' type talks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by n150
That's really interesting!

I do even wonder how my viewpoints might change in the future. Realistically, I would probably think the same by next year but in a decade from now you'd never know.

But I do think that even if I was to go back, my beliefs or practices will be slightly different. Would you say that your friend's current outlook on religion has some differences compared to before?

Definitely! She's not as keen on formal liturgy and is absolutely dead against confessing sins to priests. She used to be Catholic and is now a liberal Anglican. She says she believes that you can go directly to God and don't need a priest ( who let's face it is just a fallible human like the rest of us) to pray for your sins. She likes less formal worship too.
Original post by n150
I used to be a catholic up until my late teens. My parents are highly religious so I still pray and go to church.

Interesting thread.

I used to be a Christian myself and ditched my faith for a multitude of reasons, including my genuine belief that science (which has considerably more evidence behind it) and religion are completely and totally incompatible.

As such, I find the suggestions by religious fundamentalists (i.e people who believe that absolutely everything in their holy book is unequivocal fact) to be absolutely ludicrous.

What are your thoughts on religious fundamentalism?
Reply 16
Original post by TypicalNerd
Interesting thread.

I used to be a Christian myself and ditched my faith for a multitude of reasons, including my genuine belief that science (which has considerably more evidence behind it) and religion are completely and totally incompatible.

As such, I find the suggestions by religious fundamentalists (i.e people who believe that absolutely everything in their holy book is unequivocal fact) to be absolutely ludicrous.

What are your thoughts on religious fundamentalism?

Interesting question, I really have a strong opinion on this!

I simply think that religious texts should not be viewed as the literal word of God. We literally have the remains of our common ancestors and that of other animals, as well as that of species that became extinct way before we came along but there is nothing to that detail in the creation stories. If you claim to believe that the bible or other religious texts have to be fact you have to accept that all the animals we know spontaneously came into existence in two days!

Many major events in scripture particularly in the Old testament are hardly recorded outside out of it. The plagues of Egypt where every first born male child supposedly died, where is the evidence? A whole emperor turns into a beast and no one has anything to say?

Another problem I have with fundamentalism is that religious texts are very open to different interpretations and do not have a consistent message, so who gets to pick what stands as the literal word of God? There are books with solid advice such as Sirach or Jesus' teachings and these are very different from books like Leviticus. Interestingly there are several other books that have been removed as well, even potentially up to 30 gospels.

Some verses could reflect cultural attitudes of the past but those with fundamentalist views might see them as literal commandments which can be very inconvenient for a lot of people, including you and me!:biggrin:
hey im actually in a similar positions to you (a different religion though)

do you ever worry about how them not knowing will work when you're older? like would they expect you to marry a Catholic, raised your children Catholic, etc. I do at least!

and last but not least, what is your popcorn preference? :holmes:
Reply 18
Original post by Obolinda
hey im actually in a similar positions to you (a different religion though)

do you ever worry about how them not knowing will work when you're older? like would they expect you to marry a Catholic, raised your children Catholic, etc. I do at least!

and last but not least, what is your popcorn preference? :holmes:

My parents, friends and some of my other family friends know where I stand because I was very vocal about my views at the beginning but that changed when I started realising that people were starting to confront my parents about it!

There's been some arguments already but right now it is almost as though nobody acknowledges my beliefs and nothing has happened. My siblings think it is phase, my parents still speak to me as if I'm a believer, like asking me if I went to church when I'm away from home, despite me being atheist for 5 years!

So in terms of how things will work in the future, no serious expectations have been placed by my family because everyone is avoiding the issue, because the potential for drama is so nuts that the conversation is even stressful e.g having unbaptised grandchildren, a humanist wedding in front of a mostly Christian community, everyone finding out and things like that.

At least there's toffee popcorn :smile:
Reply 19
People tend to have the religion of their parents and the community they are raised in, it is nothing more than indoctrination and brainwashing. The worst offenders are Abrahamic faiths because the concept of hell scares its followers into submission. I know people who still struggle with the fear of going to hell even long after they have renounced those religions because the indoctrination is so deeply entrenched. It is very hard to break free from unfortunately.

Did you find the concept of hell made it harder to fully distance yourself from the religion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending