The Student Room Group

Film Production at University

I want to study film production at university. I've applied to salford, aub, oxford brookes, portsmouth, and bristol. Those who have been to uni and done this course, which uni would you recommend most? I've done my own research but am still unsure as to which offers to accept.
Original post by charlie.l
I want to study film production at university. I've applied to salford, aub, oxford brookes, portsmouth, and bristol. Those who have been to uni and done this course, which uni would you recommend most? I've done my own research but am still unsure as to which offers to accept.

Hi @charlie.l,

I graduated this year (2023) from the Undergraduate course BA(Hons) Film and TV Production at the University of Wolverhampton.

I absolutely loved my three years, I worked in all roles connected to working on a film set at some point and managed to gain expertise in my specific areas of interest with ease. In my final year I worked on 5 short films, which I hold tremendous pride and a sense of achievement over. This included a narrative film I solely wrote and directed, a documentary I co-directed, co-produced and then edited, two narrative short films I was the director of photography for and one narrative short that I edited.

The lecturers are experts in their field and always want to share their knowledge and skills, the facilities are fantastic having been updated in the last two years and all in all my university experience was one I wouldn't change in the slightest.

Have a look at the course page on the website and see if it interests you: https://www.wlv.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-film-and-television-production/

Hope this helps you!

Kind regards,
University of Wolverhampton Rep
Ben 🙂

Hi @charlie.l

We are pleased to hear you are interested in our BA Film course. Our programme is designed to provide an exciting learning experience and comes with several highlights that include:

-Field trips to events such as the Cannes Film Festival, the London Film Festival, as well as visits to local cinemas
-State of the art facilities equipped with industry-level cameras and special lighting kits
-Excellent career prospects - many of our graduates have successfully pursued careers with renowned companies such as Disney, Universal Studios and the BBC.

To learn more about our program, you can visit our website.

Furthermore, we will be hosting an Offer Holder Day soon, which may interest you. We will be sending you more information about this event shortly 🙂

Best wishes,
Shannon
Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University

Hello @charlie.l,

First of all, we are very excited that you have made our BA (Hons) Film Production course one of your 5 options in your application.

We are very proud of our film production course and are improving and growing with it year by year. We have just opened new studio spaces on our main campus which is incredibly exciting for our students. Along with continuing to use the space we have down at MediaCityUK and the industry standard equipment and facilities we have available.

I was a Journalism student myself and studied down at MediaCity along with the film production students and the environment this generates is incredible. Being amongst the industry itself is the best motivation one can have.

Our lecturers are also still in the industry and this can benefit our students in many ways, one of those ways being the placement opportunities and industry connections we can offer.

I hope this helps you come to a decision and best of luck with making your decision.

Matt ~ University of Salford Rep

Have you had offers from all of your choices?
Have you visited?

There’s only one CILECT member film school in your choices which is worth considering if you want to work in the industry.

It’s worth asking each of your choices for links to their graduate films for recent years (2023 films will usually not be available yet if they’re entered into competitions/festivals).

I went to AUB and completed the undergraduate Film Production course last July, it errmmmm, wasn't great. I would recommend you do a vocational course (apprenticeship etc) and then go to university afterwards if you don't enjoy the vocational option. You really, really do not need to get into a lifetime of debt and go through all the grief of gaining a degree just to be able to say you can make films better than someone who doesn't have a film production degree (which isn't true btw).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending