The Student Room Group

University of Southampton A100 (BM5) 2023 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think that the admissions team said that they will have in person interviews this year with a panel interview and a group task.

It's hard to predict the cut off isnt it! It looks like it has been higher and higher every year and I read that UCAT actually ran out of bookings by mid September which means even more people trying to get in.....:s-smilie:
Hello everyone, :smile:

As you may have noticed, this thread owner is @TSR George - an account used by TSR for several purposes including as a placeholder when a thread owner wishes to delete their account.

If you would like to be the new first post in this thread - you can!
To do this, please tag @04MR17 or @StrawberryDreams in this thread and ask for the OP to be changed to you.
Please do this if you would like to add additional resources into the OP and intend to stay around on the forums during the application cycle.

The owner of a thread will only be changed once - except if an OP deletes their account.

Please allow 48 hours for your request to be seen and actioned. This message will be posted into each of the 2023 applicants threads currently owned by TSR George.

Thanks all,

MR
Hey! I'm a gap year student with a 2820 and band 2 in the UCAT and 3A* in my a-levels. I'm not sure whether I would be able to get an interview for Southampton this year however and how likely that would be?
Reply 23
Original post by emojisomething
Hey! I'm a gap year student with a 2820 and band 2 in the UCAT and 3A* in my a-levels. I'm not sure whether I would be able to get an interview for Southampton this year however and how likely that would be?

It's above the 2750 cut off from last year so if this year is going to be similar then I think you should be ok! :smile:
Original post by meddem
It's above the 2750 cut off from last year so if this year is going to be similar then I think you should be ok! :smile:

Thanks xx
hey everyone! so i did my ucat today and got a score of 2780 which I am v proud of but I am just scared for the cut off for Southampton as last year it was 2750 :frown: really don't know if I should risk it or play it safe?
Reply 26
The cut off seems to be going to higher every year but hopefully it is only due to the pandemic and now it is going to tamper off! :biggrin:

Here is the info I got from the admissions team, hope it helps

For BM5 School Leavers:
2019 entry 2510
2020 entry 2570
2021 entry 2680
2022 entry - 2750

For BM5 Contextual School Leavers:
2021 entry 2620
2022 entry 2570

For BM5 Mature Non-Graduate:
2019 entry 2060
2020 entry 2230
2021 entry 2290
2022 entry - 2290
Original post by meddem
The cut off seems to be going to higher every year but hopefully it is only due to the pandemic and now it is going to tamper off! :biggrin:

Here is the info I got from the admissions team, hope it helps

For BM5 School Leavers:
2019 entry 2510
2020 entry 2570
2021 entry 2680
2022 entry - 2750

2021 entry 2620
2022 entry 2570

2019 entry 2060
2020 entry 2230
2021 entry 2290
2022 entry - 2290

wow thank u sm for this!! did the admissions team send you this? so they do non-contextual and contextual cut-offs? now i am defo applying!! i got 2780 but i am contextual xxx
Reply 28
Original post by shirazali123
wow thank u sm for this!! did the admissions team send you this? so they do non-contextual and contextual cut-offs? now i am defo applying!! i got 2780 but i am contextual xxx

No worries :smile: and yup! And they said that they have a number of interview spaces set aside for school leavers who meet 2 of their contextual flags https://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentadmin/admissions/admissions-policies/contextual-admissions.page
Original post by meddem
No worries :smile: and yup! And they said that they have a number of interview spaces set aside for school leavers who meet 2 of their contextual flags https://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentadmin/admissions/admissions-policies/contextual-admissions.page

thank you angel! literal godsend!! now im in a predicament so I was tied between brum and soton but I don't know which one now lolol. in Birmingham SJT is used and bc of my band 3 the interview score will be lowered but for soton I literally don't know if the contextual cutoffs will go up or not!! for brum I used the calculator and the scoring method and I got a high score and the calculator said I am most likely to get an interview but idk... omg sorry this is long lol xx
hey guys I also emailed the admissions team and they sent all the info back:

"Dear Shiraz,

Thank you for your email.

Yes I can confirm that we will have c. 90 interview spaces set aside for Home/UK Contextual School Leavers which means that in the pre-interview stage you would only be competing with other Contextual applicants this usually means that the UCAT cut off for interview is lower than for Non-Contextual School Leavers.

Please see more information below:

ACADEMIC MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

2023 Entry requirements for Home/UK BM5:

BM5 Home/UK School leaver (SL) (under the age of 21 at the application deadline 15/10/22)

GCSE: 7x grade B/6 to include English Language, Maths, and either Biology and Chemistry or Double Science/ Combined Science, or Science and Additional Science.
A-Level: AAA to include A-level Biology and one additional science (with a pass in the practical element where it is separately endorsed). Acceptable science subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies or Geography. Offers typically exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking.
UCAT: Exam taken in summer 2022 (last testing date end of Sept)

BM5 Home/UK School Leaver Contextual Offer (under the age of 21 at the application deadline 15/10/22)

Applicant has to meet at least 2 of the contextual flags please see list here.
GCSE: 7x grade B/6 to include English Language, Maths, and either Biology and Chemistry or Double Science/ Combined Science, or Science and Additional Science.
A-Level: AAB to include A level Biology and one additional science (with a pass in the practical element where it is separately endorsed). Acceptable science subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies or Geography. Offers typically exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking.

BM5 Home/UK Mature Non-graduate (MNG) (aged 21+ at the application deadline 15/10/22)

GCSE: 4x grade C/4 to include English language, Mathematics, and either Biology and Chemistry, or Double Science/ Combined Science, or Science and Additional Science.
A-Level: AAA to include A-level Biology and one additional science (with a pass in the practical element where it is separately endorsed). Acceptable science subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies or Geography. Offers typically exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking.

All Applicants who meet the entry requirements (achieved or predicted), are then ranked based on their UCAT score (within their group, i.e. BM5 School leavers, BM5 Contextual etc). Following that, we work our way down the list inviting Applicants to interview until we fill all our interview spaces.

LOWEST UCAT TO INTERVIEW

We do not have a set UCAT cut off and invite the top scoring eligible applicants however it might be helpful to see the cut offs from previous years for different BM5 categories.

For BM5 School Leavers:

2019 entry 2510
2020 entry 2570
2021 entry 2680
2022 entry - 2750

2021 entry 2620
2022 entry 2570

2019 entry 2060
2020 entry 2230
2021 entry 2290
2022 entry - 2290

INTERVIEW

Non-academic entry requirements

In addition to the academic entry requirements, you will be assessed against our non-academic criteria. This will be tested during the in-person Selection Day which will consist of a panel interview and group task. Selection Days usually take place between January and March (exact dates to be confirmed).

Applicants must be able to show they:

Are self-motivated and resilient;
Have reflected on and learnt from life experiences (this may include, work experience, paid employment and personal experiences both in and outside health and social care settings);
Can communicate effectively;
Are able to interact successfully with others;
Can demonstrate an understanding of the values of the NHS constitution.

RECEIVING OFFERS

Offers are made based on the overall Selection Day performance.

Please note that applicants are going to receive Conditional offers even if the academic requirements are already met as we require certificates to be submitted as well as to be cleared by the Occupational Health team.

OTHER INFORMATION

We do accept the first resit of up to 3 subjects for GCSEs and A-Levels.
We do not require all the grades to be obtained at the same sitting.
Access to Medicine:
In certain cases we are able to accept Access to Medicine courses in lieu of the A-Level requirement see page 10 of the admissions policy for more info.
The AAA A-Level equivalent would be 45 points at Distinction (graded) and 15 at Pass (ungraded).
We do not accept distance learning Access courses or Pre-Med courses.
The Access courses we recognise are held at Eastleigh College, Sussex Down, Lambeth, City & Islington, The Manchester College, Truro College, College of West Anglia, Norwich City College.
The full admissions policy for 2023 entry can be found here."
^^ from this we can gather that non-contextual and contextual applicants are ranked separately from each other but I don't know if its risky if I should apply to soton? can someone give me some advice - i am contextual but only scared if they raise the ucat threshold but i think its fine, just need a second opinion :smile:
Original post by shirazali123
^^ from this we can gather that non-contextual and contextual applicants are ranked separately from each other but I don't know if its risky if I should apply to soton? can someone give me some advice - i am contextual but only scared if they raise the ucat threshold but i think its fine, just need a second opinion :smile:

I doubt the cutoff would rise by >200 points, I think you're quite safe with your score if you're contextual 😊
Going to be reapplying to soton after post interview rejection. Current stats are achieved aaa, ucat 3040 b2
previous stats were predicted a*a*a, ucat 2670 b2
Im contextual too
Does anyone know what the lowest UCAT for BM5 interview for graduates is?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ribayna

I believe it was 2850 last year
Original post by Ribayna

Hi, I emailed the admissions team and this is what they sent me:

LOWEST UCAT TO INTERVIEW

We do not have a set UCAT cut off and invite eligible the top scoring applicants however it might be helpful to see the cut offs from previous years for different categories.

For BM4:
2019 entry 2810
2020 entry 2780
2021 entry 2930
2022 entry - 2930

For BM4 Southampton Grads:
2020 entry - 2490
2021 entry - 2780
2022 entry - 2830

For BM5 Graduates:
2019 entry 2730
2020 entry 2680
2021 entry 2780
2022 entry - 2820

I am not sure if 2022 entry UCAT score for BM5 was a mistake as it seems like it was higher haha :confused:
Original post by bubbles_789
Hi, I emailed the admissions team and this is what they sent me:

LOWEST UCAT TO INTERVIEW

We do not have a set UCAT cut off and invite eligible the top scoring applicants however it might be helpful to see the cut offs from previous years for different categories.

For BM4:
2019 entry 2810
2020 entry 2780
2021 entry 2930
2022 entry - 2930

For BM4 Southampton Grads:
2020 entry - 2490
2021 entry - 2780
2022 entry - 2830

For BM5 Graduates:
2019 entry 2730
2020 entry 2680
2021 entry 2780
2022 entry - 2820

I am not sure if 2022 entry UCAT score for BM5 was a mistake as it seems like it was higher haha :confused:

School leaver cut off went up from 2680 to 2750, so actually, grad cut offs increased by less!
Original post by GANFYD
School leaver cut off went up from 2680 to 2750, so actually, grad cut offs increased by less!

Oh sorry I meant to say that I thought the BM5 Graduates 2022 cut-off score would be higher than 2820 haha
Does anyone know how much of the post-interview offer is weighted on your UCAT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending