The Student Room Group

University of Southampton A100 (BM5) 2023 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rain439
Does anyone know how much of the post-interview offer is weighted on your UCAT?

None of it. It is only used if needed as a tiebreaker post interview
Original post by Rain439

It isn't at Soton, interview score is the only thing used to determine who gets an offer after that stage.
Original post by shirazali123
hey guys I also emailed the admissions team and they sent all the info back:

"Dear Shiraz,

Thank you for your email.

Yes I can confirm that we will have c. 90 interview spaces set aside for Home/UK Contextual School Leavers which means that in the pre-interview stage you would only be competing with other Contextual applicants this usually means that the UCAT cut off for interview is lower than for Non-Contextual School Leavers.

Please see more information below:

ACADEMIC MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

2023 Entry requirements for Home/UK BM5:

BM5 Home/UK School leaver (SL) (under the age of 21 at the application deadline 15/10/22)

GCSE: 7x grade B/6 to include English Language, Maths, and either Biology and Chemistry or Double Science/ Combined Science, or Science and Additional Science.
A-Level: AAA to include A-level Biology and one additional science (with a pass in the practical element where it is separately endorsed). Acceptable science subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies or Geography. Offers typically exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking.
UCAT: Exam taken in summer 2022 (last testing date end of Sept)

BM5 Home/UK School Leaver Contextual Offer (under the age of 21 at the application deadline 15/10/22)

Applicant has to meet at least 2 of the contextual flags please see list here.
GCSE: 7x grade B/6 to include English Language, Maths, and either Biology and Chemistry or Double Science/ Combined Science, or Science and Additional Science.
A-Level: AAB to include A level Biology and one additional science (with a pass in the practical element where it is separately endorsed). Acceptable science subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies or Geography. Offers typically exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking.

BM5 Home/UK Mature Non-graduate (MNG) (aged 21+ at the application deadline 15/10/22)

GCSE: 4x grade C/4 to include English language, Mathematics, and either Biology and Chemistry, or Double Science/ Combined Science, or Science and Additional Science.
A-Level: AAA to include A-level Biology and one additional science (with a pass in the practical element where it is separately endorsed). Acceptable science subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies or Geography. Offers typically exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking.

All Applicants who meet the entry requirements (achieved or predicted), are then ranked based on their UCAT score (within their group, i.e. BM5 School leavers, BM5 Contextual etc). Following that, we work our way down the list inviting Applicants to interview until we fill all our interview spaces.

LOWEST UCAT TO INTERVIEW

We do not have a set UCAT cut off and invite the top scoring eligible applicants however it might be helpful to see the cut offs from previous years for different BM5 categories.

For BM5 School Leavers:

2019 entry 2510
2020 entry 2570
2021 entry 2680
2022 entry - 2750

For BM5 Contextual School Leavers:

2021 entry 2620
2022 entry 2570

For BM5 Mature Non-Graduate:

2019 entry 2060
2020 entry 2230
2021 entry 2290
2022 entry - 2290

INTERVIEW

Non-academic entry requirements

In addition to the academic entry requirements, you will be assessed against our non-academic criteria. This will be tested during the in-person Selection Day which will consist of a panel interview and group task. Selection Days usually take place between January and March (exact dates to be confirmed).

Applicants must be able to show they:

Are self-motivated and resilient;
Have reflected on and learnt from life experiences (this may include, work experience, paid employment and personal experiences both in and outside health and social care settings);
Can communicate effectively;
Are able to interact successfully with others;
Can demonstrate an understanding of the values of the NHS constitution.

RECEIVING OFFERS

Offers are made based on the overall Selection Day performance.

Please note that applicants are going to receive Conditional offers even if the academic requirements are already met as we require certificates to be submitted as well as to be cleared by the Occupational Health team.

OTHER INFORMATION

We do accept the first resit of up to 3 subjects for GCSEs and A-Levels.
We do not require all the grades to be obtained at the same sitting.
Access to Medicine:
In certain cases we are able to accept Access to Medicine courses in lieu of the A-Level requirement see page 10 of the admissions policy for more info.
The AAA A-Level equivalent would be 45 points at Distinction (graded) and 15 at Pass (ungraded).
We do not accept distance learning Access courses or Pre-Med courses.
The Access courses we recognise are held at Eastleigh College, Sussex Down, Lambeth, City & Islington, The Manchester College, Truro College, College of West Anglia, Norwich City College.
The full admissions policy for 2023 entry can be found here."

so you’re telling me that now i’m 21 and I’m an undergrad, the ucat cutoff would be around 2290?? i got 2760 but was hesitant to apply to Southampton due to the normal undergrad cutoff but now it’s looking rather safe
Original post by thandekaaa
so you’re telling me that now i’m 21 and I’m an undergrad, the ucat cutoff would be around 2290?? i got 2760 but was hesitant to apply to Southampton due to the normal undergrad cutoff but now it’s looking rather safe

We keep telling people gap years are better! Mature non-grads are often assessed differently, but very small numbers (I think Southampton has 5 places for them) can lead to wide fluctuations, especially with recent higher numbers of reapplicants, and there are more often ExCircs associated with mature non grads, so it may be 1 person with that score and everyone else with 3000 (it isn’t, but you get the drift)
Original post by GANFYD
We keep telling people gap years are better! Mature non-grads are often assessed differently, but very small numbers (I think Southampton has 5 places for them) can lead to wide fluctuations, especially with recent higher numbers of reapplicants, and there are more often ExCircs associated with mature non grads, so it may be 1 person with that score and everyone else with 3000 (it isn’t, but you get the drift)

do you know which other unis do this as i hadn’t heard about it until now
do you know which other unis do this as i hadn’t heard about it until now

You have to read the admissions pages carefully. Plymouth do, I think Exeter, but they require GAMSAT for mature non grads, I think
2810 B2, should I apply? Or go for Manchester instead
probably Manchester
Original post by Spectrz
2810 B2, should I apply? Or go for Manchester instead
With the UCAT statistics for 2022 what do you think the cutoff will be for Southampton? Between 2020 and 2021 the 8th and 9th deciles were exactly the same (albeit a few thousand more sitting the UCAT) but the Southampton cutoff went up by 70-odd points!
Hi I'm not sure whether I should apply to southampton as a gap year student with a UCAT of 2820 and band 2 and 3A* in my alevels with 9999888776 in GCSEs.
Reply 50
Nah man its too risky don't apply (joking u should be fine xD)

Original post by emojisomething
Hi I'm not sure whether I should apply to southampton as a gap year student with a UCAT of 2820 and band 2 and 3A* in my alevels with 9999888776 in GCSEs.
ha lol thx
Original post by Dabz69
Nah man its too risky don't apply (joking u should be fine xD)
Reply 52
Do people think that it's worth applying as a graduate entrant for the BM5 with a UCAT of 2860? I know the cut off for grads last year was around 2820, but looking at the scores for this year they have gone up a bit
none!

Original post by Rain439
Hi!

Does anyone know the success/offer ratios for Southampton? And how they compare against Bart's maybe?
I'm trying to decide between Southampton and Bart's, and it feels like Southampton could be a safer choice but if it's more competitive than Bart's ...
2023 cutoff predictions? I'm gonna say 2780
Reply 56

This only applies to people aged 21+ who are not currently studying (or are in their first year of the first ever degree and are planning to not finish it) so if you're graduating in 2023 you would be considered a Graduate when you apply
Reply 57
Original post by Spectrz

Same - I think high 2700s
Original post by meddem
Same - I think high 2700s

Between 2020 and 2021 the 8th and 9th deciles were exactly the same (albeit a few thousand more sitting the UCAT) but the Southampton cutoff went up by 70-odd points! So although it's really difficult to say I'm hoping high 2700s as well tbh

Original post by Spectrz
Southampton's Selection procedure is just to see who meets the minimum, then rank by UCAT, then invite an appropriate number to interview?

I also recieved this email concerning offer grades -

We have in the past introduced A*AA for interview if we have had an overwhelming amount of applications etc, this happened because we published the UCAT cut-off before applications were submitted and had a very large amount of applicants that met the UCAT cut-off. Since then we do not publish the UCAT score. Please be aware that other factors can also be taken into account though. We do not score UCAS personal statements or references

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending