The Student Room Group

University of Southampton A100 (BM5) 2023 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m1x0n10es
Southampton's Selection procedure is just to see who meets the minimum, then rank by UCAT, then invite an appropriate number to interview?

I also recieved this email concerning offer grades -

We have in the past introduced A*AA for interview if we have had an overwhelming amount of applications etc, this happened because we published the UCAT cut-off before applications were submitted and had a very large amount of applicants that met the UCAT cut-off. Since then we do not publish the UCAT score. Please be aware that other factors can also be taken into account though. We do not score UCAS personal statements or references

Yeah that's very reasonable from them. Personal statements aren't scored but are pretty crucial to the selection process or so I've heard (interviews)
Southampton's Selection procedure is just to see who meets the minimum, then rank by UCAT, then invite an appropriate number to interview?

I also recieved this email concerning offer grades -

We have in the past introduced A*AA for interview if we have had an overwhelming amount of applications etc, this happened because we published the UCAT cut-off before applications were submitted and had a very large amount of applicants that met the UCAT cut-off. Since then we do not publish the UCAT score. Please be aware that other factors can also be taken into account though. We do not score UCAS personal statements or references

Was this from Southampton or Plymouth. This has certainly been the case with Plymouth which is why they have the A*AA-AAA on their website so that they do have that flexibility. Southampton is clearly AAA and I don’t recollect it being A*AA previously.
Hi, Im a gap year student who achieved AAB in A levels. Im resitting the B and am predicted an A*. My Ucat is 2810 B3. Is it likely for me to receive an interview from Southampton??
Original post by George&Mary44!
Was this from Southampton or Plymouth. This has certainly been the case with Plymouth which is why they have the A*AA-AAA on their website so that they do have that flexibility. Southampton is clearly AAA and I don’t recollect it being A*AA previously.

very sorry- yes that was plymouth i must have been confused. To clarify, in a call, southampton told me an offer for resits would be no different to anyone else - still AAA
Reply 64
Original post by Pedro Caballero
Hi, Im a gap year student who achieved AAB in A levels. Im resitting the B and am predicted an A*. My Ucat is 2810 B3. Is it likely for me to receive an interview from Southampton??

With the last years cut off at 2750, Southampton not looking at SJB and not discriminating against first retakes it seems like you have good chances to get the interview invite! :smile:
Original post by meddem
This only applies to people aged 21+ who are not currently studying (or are in their first year of the first ever degree and are planning to not finish it) so if you're graduating in 2023 you would be considered a Graduate when you apply

yeah i'm not a graduate or currently studying
Original post by meddem
With the last years cut off at 2750, Southampton not looking at SJB and not discriminating against first retakes it seems like you have good chances to get the interview invite! :smile:

Thank you!! I just wanted a second opinion:tongue:
Original post by Pedro Caballero
Thank you!! I just wanted a second opinion:tongue:

They work on a minimum requirement basis for A levels as well so that's handy!
Reply 68
Original post by adgadfadf
They work on a minimum requirement basis for A levels as well so that's handy!

Original post by GANFYD
None of it. It is only used if needed as a tiebreaker post interview

Hi, I got 2800 Band 2 - is it risky applying this year. Will the cut off ever be above 2800?
Original post by nivi27
Hi, I got 2800 Band 2 - is it risky applying this year. Will the cut off ever be above 2800?

Nobody can say never, but I doubt it for this year
Reply 70
Original post by GANFYD

So do you think I should be okay applying with 2800?
Am I likely to get an interview?
Original post by GANFYD

Hi @GANYFYD, on the OfS it says the target intake this year is 7570 med students, whereas the last two years it has been 10500 students actual intake. Does this mean there would be more competition in getting the interviews, or post interview?
Hi @GANYFYD, on the OfS it says the target intake this year is 7570 med students, whereas the last two years it has been 10500 students actual intake. Does this mean there would be more competition in getting the interviews, or post interview?

There are also less applicants this year though so slightly balances out
Original post by larissaberry
There are also less applicants this year though so slightly balances out

How would someone tell if there were less applicants?

Thats good though.
How would someone tell if there were less applicants?

Thats good though.

Less ucat entries

I think you are comparing 2 different figures. The 7570 is likely to be places available at English med schools, I think, the 10500 is total intake in the UK, so including the 1000+ places in Scotland, 600 odd Wales etc.
Last year was pretty rigid, the 2 year sbefore they expanded it for covid CAG/TAG grades, so it is pretty much back to historical levels
Hi!

Is anyone planning on going to the open day today? I was meant to go today but I'm ill and debating on whether to make the 2 hour journey (probably too late now)
Do you think the university will put information talks and tours online?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by George&Mary44!
Hi, if Cynthia or any current Southampton Med students are reading this do you have a view on the attached article please? It’s 2020 but is it the same now ? If not, what is different?

I have found this series really interesting so thanks to whomever did it originally!

https://lifeofamedic.com/2020/06/22/whats-it-really-like-to-study-medicine-at-southampton-medical-school/

Hello,

Cynthia, 4th year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋
I actually think that this series was quite helpful as well, and even in 2022 the info is still relevant and includes helpful tips!

If you have any questions about the course or Southampton please reach out!

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
Is a ucat score of 2760 too risky do you guys think considering the cut off?
Original post by sharma7777
Is a ucat score of 2760 too risky do you guys think considering the cut off?

Are you eligible for contextual offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending