The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham A100 2023 entry Applicant and Offer Holders thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KKE4
@Parenttotwo what is WP?

Widening Participation. It is where applicants are eligible for ‘contextual’ offers - due to family income, postcodes and being first generation to go to university etc
Original post by 7JK
yes and you have to add your 8 best gcses to that ucat score by this system:
9 or A* - 4
8 - 3
7 or A - 2
6 or B - 1

this gives you a maximum of 32 points if you have 8+ 9’s. in total it’s 152 with gcse + ucat.
here’s the link to it if you need it: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study-with-us/undergraduate/undergraduate-medicine/undergraduate-selection-process.aspx

does Eng. language count or best 8 GCSE?
Hi! I only did 7 GCSEs (6 A* and 1 A) because I only did 2 terms of GCSE - did the french gcse equivalent in year 10, moved school in year 11 then caught up on content to do gcses. Would this disadvantage my application to Nottingham? I score 108 in ucat but don't know if that would compensate for the points lost in the gcses, anyone know if there's any way I can flag up my circumstances to the admissions board? thanks
Original post by BellaWoopWoop
Hi! I only did 7 GCSEs (6 A* and 1 A) because I only did 2 terms of GCSE - did the french gcse equivalent in year 10, moved school in year 11 then caught up on content to do gcses. Would this disadvantage my application to Nottingham? I score 108 in ucat but don't know if that would compensate for the points lost in the gcses, anyone know if there's any way I can flag up my circumstances to the admissions board? thanks

The example on the website (link posted above) is for someone with 7 GCSEs. The guidelines say you score your best 8, but you only have to have 6, so I am guessing they will just score your 7 GCSEs (although check French counts if you did it a year early). If you score from 7, you'd get 27 out of 32 points, so you'd still get 135 points if you get 108 for UCAT - thats still a very good score (cut off was 127-129 last year). If you wanted to check, you could email admissions about your GCSEs?
Original post by Parenttotwo
The example on the website (link posted above) is for someone with 7 GCSEs. The guidelines say you score your best 8, but you only have to have 6, so I am guessing they will just score your 7 GCSEs (although check French counts if you did it a year early). If you score from 7, you'd get 27 out of 32 points, so you'd still get 135 points if you get 108 for UCAT - thats still a very good score (cut off was 127-129 last year). If you wanted to check, you could email admissions about your GCSEs?

Thanks for the advice, I'll call tomorrow and try and get an answer :smile:
Hi, if any current Nottingham Med students are reading this do you have a view on the attached article please? It’s 2020 but is it the same now ? If not, what is different?

I have found this series really interesting so thanks to whomever did it originally! @lifeofamedic..

https://lifeofamedic.com/2020/06/08/whats-it-really-like-to-study-medicine-at-nottingham-medical-school/
do anyone know what is the cutoff score for applicants without gcses?
what score do you guys think should be guaranteed for notts?
Do you guys think 136/152 is good score for notts this year?
Original post by noseagullspls
do anyone know what is the cutoff score for applicants without gcses?I;

Hi, I'm in the same boat! I'm a graduate applying so my GCSEs will not be scored. I calculated my score as 98/120 (SJ Band 1 and 38/60 for UCAT).

I emailed Admissions and they explicitly said they never give out information on previous years cut off scores so I'm not sure whether this is a safe score to apply with.
"With regards to your query, our School of Medicine never publish previous years cut off scores. They believe this can be very misleading as each recruitment cycle they may decide to adjust our scoring process and then you are not comparing like with like. If you meet our academic entry requirements, we’ll then score your GCSE’s and UCAT raw scores. If you’re applying as a graduate then we will just use your UCAT raw scores to establish an overall score. Those who are scored without GCSE’s are placed in a different
assessment group to the applicants where both have been scored. One group has no advantage over the other."
Thanks, any help would be appreciated!
Hi, not sure if this has been already asked somewhere else, but does anyone know if notts takes achieved A levels (3A*) into account / instead of gcse?
Original post by Pukka543
Hi, not sure if this has been already asked somewhere else, but does anyone know if notts takes achieved A levels (3A*) into account / instead of gcse?

They do not
Original post by Dabz69
anyone applying through elite athlete route

I'm also interested in the elite athlete route. Shall we know if we are eligible before the UCAS deadline? I read it will give a fast track to interview, but does the route affect the interview and outcome? I really appreciate your input!
Does anyone know why Nottingham has such a low student satisfaction rate for medicine (around 50%)?
Original post by OrangeViolin
I'm also interested in the elite athlete route. Shall we know if we are eligible before the UCAS deadline? I read it will give a fast track to interview, but does the route affect the interview and outcome? I really appreciate your input!

So once you've gotten the interview with fast track, you are treated the same as everyone else. They will not change your interview or give you extra consideration.
Original post by MedApplicantttt
So once you've gotten the interview with fast track, you are treated the same as everyone else. They will not change your interview or give you extra consideration.

Thank you very much for your reply. Let me ask you one more question. Will they let us know if we are eligible before 15th Oct if we ask them by email or by calling them?
Original post by OrangeViolin
Thank you very much for your reply. Let me ask you one more question. Will they let us know if we are eligible before 15th Oct if we ask them by email or by calling them?

maybe they should, try phoning them up. I know for the other fast track interviews for widening access summer school students, they have already been told they are eligible for fast track.
(edited 1 year ago)
anyone predicting the cut off for this year?
Original post by Jvug2321
anyone predicting the cut off for this year?

i think @TCL predicted it to be around 131?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MedApplicantttt
maybe they should, try phoning them up. I know for the other fast track interviews for widening access summer school students, they have already been told they are eligible for fast track.

Thank you very much. Will call them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending