The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Dietetics Applicants Thread 2023

Are you applying to study Dietetics at University in 2023?
Then this is the forum for you!

Creating this thread to follow up on the previous 'Official Dietetics Applicants Thread 2022'.

To future nutrition and dietetic students hoping to study at university or an apprenticeship, feel free to share details about your

Course

Where you're applying to

Any questions

This thread will allow everyone to share their thoughts, support each other's journey from applying to starting uni, as well as connect with other students. So, include as many details as you want the more you ask the more you know

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying to Nottingham and Leeds Beckett after taking two years off, I was wondering if anybody managed to find work experience in a dietetics department?
(edited 1 year ago)
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Hi, I am applying to Cardiff Met. I have managed to attend a dietetic careers event at Chester University and Heath Hospital Cardiff. Shadowing is still very difficult in this field. However, I decided to reach out to freelance dietitians and have conversations with them via phone or zoom and gain a better insight into the role. Future Frontline have a few you tube recordings of webinars led by dietetic students.
Original post by stella03
I'm applying to Nottingham and Leeds Beckett after taking two years off, I was wondering if anybody managed to find work experience in a dietetics department?

Hi @stella03

I would recommend you also consider studying Dietetics at Coventry University

Our multi-million-pound Alison Gingell Building features a range of mock healthcare settings, including hospital wards, ambulance, therapy suites and community houses4, giving you the opportunity to replicate real-life situations before you go on placement.

You will have access to a suite of analytical and biological laboratories and a kitchen where you can gain hands-on experience.

Throughout the course you will explore international, national and local food and nutrition practices and policies.

You may also have the opportunity to undertake international experiences including a collaborative online international learning (COIL) project where you can gain an insight into global challenges in public health and the roles of dietitians in other countries. Optional field trips may also offer you the chance go abroad. to attend international conferences. In recent years, students have been to Poland, Malta and Spain.

Kind regards,

Coventry University Team
Original post by KiraLewis
Hi, I am applying to Cardiff Met. I have managed to attend a dietetic careers event at Chester University and Heath Hospital Cardiff. Shadowing is still very difficult in this field. However, I decided to reach out to freelance dietitians and have conversations with them via phone or zoom and gain a better insight into the role. Future Frontline have a few you tube recordings of webinars led by dietetic students.

Hi @KiraLewis

Our multi-million-pound Alison Gingell Building features a range of mock healthcare settings, including hospital wards, ambulance, therapy suites and community houses4, giving you the opportunity to replicate real-life situations before you go on placement.

You will have access to a suite of analytical and biological laboratories and a kitchen where you can gain hands-on experience.

Throughout the course you will explore international, national and local food and nutrition practices and policies.

You may also have the opportunity to undertake international experiences including a collaborative online international learning (COIL) project where you can gain an insight into global challenges in public health and the roles of dietitians in other countries. Optional field trips may also offer you the chance go abroad. to attend international conferences. In recent years, students have been to Poland, Malta and Spain.

Kind regards,

Coventry University Team
Reply 5
Has anyone had an interview for dietetics yet?
I have an interview for Coventry in a few days and was wondering what sort of questions come up.
Hi Biyaaa,

Whilst courses can be similar at different universities, there are usually some differences between institutions. Please read the Dietetics online course profile so that you are fully aware of what the course involves.

As this is a professional NHS course, the Coventry University recruitment and selection process includes assessing your potential to live the values outlined in the NHS constitution. We call this Value Based Recruitment (VBR), so it would be useful for you to have a good understanding of these values and be able to discuss and reference these during the interview day. You can also explore more information on the role of a dietitian, the British Dietetic Association, and the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

There are also a range of online materials you can access including the 6C's and the Explore Roles that will help you prepare for the interview.
Below are also some key themes to consider when preparing for an interview:
What is my key motivation for wishing to train as a dietitian at this particular point in
time?
What skills and values make a good dietitian, and do I possess them?
How do I cope with stress and challenging situations?
What are the current big issues in the modern NHS and healthcare?

You may find further information via this Interview Guide (2023-24 Entry) useful : https://www.coventry.ac.uk/globalassets/media/global/03-study-section-assets/course-interviews/guidance-notes/hls/dietetics-bsc-hons-2023-24.pdf

Best wishes
Kylie
Original post by biyaaa
I have an interview for Coventry in a few days and was wondering what sort of questions come up.
Reply 7
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors

Are you applying to study Dietetics at University in 2023?
Then this is the forum for you!

Creating this thread to follow up on the previous 'Official Dietetics Applicants Thread 2022'.

To future nutrition and dietetic students hoping to study at university or an apprenticeship, feel free to share details about your

Course

Where you're applying to

Any questions

This thread will allow everyone to share their thoughts, support each other's journey from applying to starting uni, as well as connect with other students. So, include as many details as you want the more you ask the more you know

Hey all!

I'm applying to Surrey and Plymouth for dietetics and nutrition at Exeter and Reading as I didn't take chemistry!
I am really looking forward to start getting offers from uni as I am sending off my UCAS in this week :smile:
Hi,

Our multi-million-pound Alison Gingell Building features a range of mock healthcare settings, including hospital wards, ambulances, therapy suites, and community houses4, giving you the opportunity to replicate real-life situations before you go on placement.

Throughout the course, you will explore international, national, and local food and nutrition practices and policies.

You may also have the opportunity to undertake international experiences including a collaborative online international learning (COIL) project where you can gain insight into global challenges in public health and the roles of dietitians in other countries. Optional field trips may also offer you the chance go abroad. to attend international conferences. In recent years, students have been to Poland, Malta, and Spain.

Kind regards,

Coventry University Team
Hello,

I'm considering applying for a Dietetics course at Coventry, what type of experience/skills would be good for me to mention in my personal statement? I haven't had any shadowing opportunities. What else would help me stand out and does anyone have any advice/recommendations?
Hi, I've got a dietetics interview on zoom for surrey on Wednesday and I super nervous. It's in a MMI format which I'm not familair with. Can anyone give any hints or tips. I think its 6 questions and I get 4 minutes to answer each question. I don't know if the questiosn are like the medicine MMI with roleplays or is it just scenarios about being a dietitian.
Reply 11
Original post by lanap123
Hi, I've got a dietetics interview on zoom for surrey on Wednesday and I super nervous. It's in a MMI format which I'm not familair with. Can anyone give any hints or tips. I think its 6 questions and I get 4 minutes to answer each question. I don't know if the questiosn are like the medicine MMI with roleplays or is it just scenarios about being a dietitian.

Hey!
I wouldn't know as I have just submitted my UCAS to school and waiting on my references...
Welldone for getting an interview :]
Wishing you the best of luck! When did you submit your UCAS and when did you hear back? I am so excited to go to uni!
Hopefully see you at Surrey if that is your first choice :]
Thanks, I submitted mine around 2 weeks ago. I think all my unis replayed within a week except one which is UCL. Me too I’m so excited but nervous ! Yes Surrey is my first choice. It was so good I applied for 2 courses there! Hope your application goes well!
Reply 13
Thanks, I submitted mine around 2 weeks ago. I think all my unis replayed within a week except one which is UCL. Me too I’m so excited but nervous ! Yes Surrey is my first choice. It was so good I applied for 2 courses there! Hope your application goes well!

Ooh! That is so exciting! That is so quick!
Good luck :] Hopefully my references will be ready by the end of this week from my school as I cannot wait!
I applied for the normal dietetics course and then the foundation at Surrey. I went to the open day and i loveddd it!
Original post by JHCT
Ooh! That is so exciting! That is so quick!
Good luck :] Hopefully my references will be ready by the end of this week from my school as I cannot wait!
I applied for the normal dietetics course and then the foundation at Surrey. I went to the open day and i loveddd it!

Same I loved the open day.
I applied for the normal dietetics course and then nutrition which I got an offer for.
I’m sure I’ll be fine for the interview tomorrow just nervous

Hello,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

I would suggest you check out previous interviews on youtube and also check the official website for the dietetics program. Please read the course profile and the modules to understand what the course will be about and what will be the future outcomes.

Wishing you all the luck with your interview. Looking forward to seeing you at Coventry University.

Warm Regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Ambassador
Coventry University
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by biyaaa

heyy! how did the interview go? everytime i mail them, they reply back saying " we have a huge volume of applications this year and still yet to finalise"
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

I would suggest you check out previous interviews on youtube and also check the official website for the dietetics program. Please read the course profile and the modules to understand what the course will be about and what will be the future outcomes.

Wishing you all the luck with your interview. Looking forward to seeing you at Coventry University.

Warm Regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Ambassador
Coventry University

Hi Megha, I'm considering applying for a Dietetics course at Coventry, what type of experience/skills are valuable for my personal statement? I haven't had any shadowing opportunities unfortunately. What would help me stand out and what advice/recommendations do you have for my application?
Reply 18
Same I loved the open day.
I applied for the normal dietetics course and then nutrition which I got an offer for.
I’m

Hey! I hope your interview went okay!
My UCAS has just been sent off so my UCAS journey begins now! :wink:
Hi! I’m an international mature student planning to apply for dietetics next year! I’m currently doing a foundation year in nutrition & am planning to transfer for first year entry. I was wondering if any other international students were also applying for dietetics? Also, is anyone applying/ transferring after a foundation year? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest