The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Generally when I used to see girls wearing anything over about 2 inches high in school it screamed 'try hard' to me.
3 or 4 inch I usually go for.
Anything higher then 4 inches is gonna hurt if you're wearing them all day long.
aforalice
Generally when I used to see girls wearing anything over about 2 inches high in school it screamed 'try hard' to me.

'Try hard' just because they wear heels higher then 2 inches?
Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
rather than high heels, mid heels would probably be most comfortable + practical for work and school

imo nothing more than 4 inches

what's ur height?
Reply 5
juicyfruit

For day wear I personally think it looks over done and isn't exactly very practical. Generally these are the same girls who are wearing a ton of makeup and have their boobs hanging out so it has bad connotations for me. I'm not saying you can't do it ever or anything but for daytime it just seems silly to wear anything over 2 or 3 inches just to go sit in your common room or work in supermarket. I like to save my 4 or 5 inch heels for nights out etc
aforalice
For day wear I personally think it looks over done and isn't exactly very practical. Generally these are the same girls who are wearing a ton of makeup and have their boobs hanging out so it has bad connotations for me. I'm not saying you can't do it ever or anything but for daytime it just seems silly to wear anything over 2 or 3 inches just to go sit in your common room or work in supermarket. I like to save my 4 or 5 inch heels for nights out etc

I can see what you're saying, but not all girls who wear 4 inch heels in the day time have loads of make up on and their boobs hanging out. It's just personal preference, plus it's only an extra 1-2 inch on what you say you'd usually wear, and I can walk perfectly fine in 4 inches in the day time without a problem or any discomfort.
saranotsarah
What's the highest heels you reckon I can get away with for school and for work (I'm apply for part time Tesco's job). I'm fed up of wearing 1 inch heels or flats during the week, and as long as they're smart and black I may be able to get away with it. :wink:

...any kind of heel at my old school and you would get a report card!! :s-smilie:
Reply 8
you going to be behind a till at tesco??? cause you could always slip them off under the desk if needs be! i used to work at tesco when i was at school and (if the skirts are still the same as when i was there, they look really good with heals!!! i wouldnt sugest it for if your walking around or shelf stacking though.

i recon you could get away with a couple of inches during the day (as long as the shoes themselves arnt too flashy).

dont forget though theres nothing worse than seeing someone hobble around in pain just cause they were trying to wear heals. make sure there comfy, and try wearing them for short distances before attempting a whole day in them!!!
I'd say definitely within 2-3 inches in the workplace. I have a pair of 1 inch heels, then the other pair are about 2-3 inches. Any higher and it'd kill me; 2-3 inches generally become uncomfortable if I walk in them all day.
I save the skyscrapers for when I'm out clubbing and I've had some alcohol to numb my feet! :smile:
I once wore some heels to my tesco job to wear them in and because this was round christmas time they put me on shelf stacking rather than a till! I stuck with my comfy boots after that, I nearly fell off a kick-step :o:
Oh, and if you have a written contract, maybe take a look at that. You might have to stick within a dress code that includes not wearing heels of a certain height, or heels at all.
sophietrophy
...any kind of heel at my old school and you would get a report card!! :s-smilie:

Same actually! Even the VI Form weren't supposed to wear proper high heels.
Reply 13
candy x
you going to be behind a till at tesco??? cause you could always slip them off under the desk if needs be! i used to work at tesco when i was at school and (if the skirts are still the same as when i was there, they look really good with heals!!! i wouldnt sugest it for if your walking around or shelf stacking though.

What are the skirts like? I think I'd prefer wearing one to trousers.

I'm off to buy myself some new shoes. I think I'll go with either 2 or 3 inch - I don't want to cripple myself.
Reply 14
I think it depends on the type of heel...I find chunky heels perfectly comfy even if they're really high, but thin heels dont spread out the pressure as much and are easier to fall off etc.

For work I wouldn't go above 2 inches...for college I probably wouldn't go higher than 3 maybe 4 inches...but it would depend on the shoes/boots:smile:
Reply 15
juicyfruit

Quite. The suggestion that people should dress down to satisfy the insecurities of others is silly.
Reply 16
Why not go for a more elegant shaped heel? Higher heels don't necessarily look any better, you're more likely to suffer with pain if you wear heels too high and in your old age (however far away that is) you increase your risk of getting bunions exponentially.
L i b
Quite. The suggestion that people should dress down to satisfy the insecurities of others is silly.

Yes, that is why I don't particularly like very high heels during the daytime, because I am so terribly insecure....
Reply 18
aforalice
Yes, that is why I don't particularly like very high heels during the daytime, because I am so terribly insecure....

No, suggesting other people are 'silly' and effectively categorising them as fake-tanned slappers for doing so certainly does hint at it.
Reply 19
2 inches through the day. 3 inches in the evening.

8 inches in the bed.

boom boom.

Latest