The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

How is a non-submission treated?

Hi, I'm a first-year home student, and due to several reasons (mental health/new medication/employment etc...), I haven't submitted a piece of coursework. As it's the Christmas break, I can't message my tutor, so I'm not sure what happens now; do I still have to submit something even though it's way past the deadline? Will I get kicked out, or will I have to resit? For some reason, the Exeter website doesn't want to work for me, so if anyone can offer some insight, I would much appreciate it. Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm a first-year home student, and due to several reasons (mental health/new medication/employment etc...), I haven't submitted a piece of coursework. As it's the Christmas break, I can't message my tutor, so I'm not sure what happens now; do I still have to submit something even though it's way past the deadline? Will I get kicked out, or will I have to resit? For some reason, the Exeter website doesn't want to work for me, so if anyone can offer some insight, I would much appreciate it. Thanks.

1. Don't use employment as a reason with the Uni.
2. Tutors can answer emails outside term.
3. The only answer is in likely password protected areas of the Exeter website, so you need to fix the computer problem or ask a friend to get into the portal for you to find out.

All in all, you need to engage with the university over the health challenges you've had and got. The only way they can help is if they know, and if they know, they can usually do a lot to help. Take care of yourself over the break and engage with them as soon as term starts. First year is just building a foundation and things can be fixed, but you don't want to take challenges into the second year.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
The rules will be in your unis academic regulations which will be on the website - so check that. if you're just a matter of days late here might be a tapered cap that reduces the marks available on that coursework,

The usual thing is that they give you another chance to submit with the marking capped at 40%
if you miss that second submission date as well you will probably fail the module which normally means you won't have sufficient credit to progress to the next year.

Obviously going forward it's important to flag any problems you're having to the module leader at the earliest opportunity - so arrangements can be made before the deadline looms.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing some challenges with completing your work. I would definitely recommend getting in touch with your personal tutor or the Wellbeing Team to discuss any difficulties you are facing and I'm sure they will be happy to help you get back on track.

With regards to penalties for late submissions, the general guidance is as follows:

Work submitted up to one hour late will receive a 5% reduction in marks, down to a minimum score of the module pass mark

Work submitted between 1 hour and 24 hours late will be capped at the pass mark

Work submitted more than 24 hours late will receive a mark of zero

If it hasn't been more than 24 hours, I would definitely recommend submitting something! It is also worth noting that you can still apply for mitigation up to 24 hours after your coursework deadline - I don't know how long it has been since the deadline has passed, but this might be an option!
In terms of how this might impact your progression through this year, again the best person to ask is your personal tutor, module convenor or your student Hub. I believe your Hub should remain open until tomorrow (Thursday 21st December) so this might be the best place to start!

Going forward, my best advice would be to stay in contact with your personal tutor if you're experiencing regular difficulties with work, and they'll be able to come up with a plan that works best for you!

I hope this has helped in some way, feel free to get in touch with further questions.

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
1. Don't use employment as a reason with the Uni.
2. Tutors can answer emails outside term.
3. The only answer is in likely password protected areas of the Exeter website, so you need to fix the computer problem or ask a friend to get into the portal for you to find out.

All in all, you need to engage with the university over the health challenges you've had and got. The only way they can help is if they know, and if they know, they can usually do a lot to help. Take care of yourself over the break and engage with them as soon as term starts. First year is just building a foundation and things can be fixed, but you don't want to take challenges into the second year.

Thank you for replying. I will take on board what you've said and make an appointment with the educational welfare team when I return. Have a nice Christmas :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Joinedup
The rules will be in your unis academic regulations which will be on the website - so check that. if you're just a matter of days late here might be a tapered cap that reduces the marks available on that coursework,

The usual thing is that they give you another chance to submit with the marking capped at 40%
if you miss that second submission date as well you will probably fail the module which normally means you won't have sufficient credit to progress to the next year.

Obviously going forward it's important to flag any problems you're having to the module leader at the earliest opportunity - so arrangements can be made before the deadline looms.

Thank you for replying. I've found out I'll have to resit, so at least I haven't been kicked out. But I will talk to my tutor next year about different avenues of help for the future. Have a nice Christmas 🙂
Reply 6
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing some challenges with completing your work. I would definitely recommend getting in touch with your personal tutor or the Wellbeing Team to discuss any difficulties you are facing and I'm sure they will be happy to help you get back on track.

With regards to penalties for late submissions, the general guidance is as follows:

Work submitted up to one hour late will receive a 5% reduction in marks, down to a minimum score of the module pass mark

Work submitted between 1 hour and 24 hours late will be capped at the pass mark

Work submitted more than 24 hours late will receive a mark of zero

If it hasn't been more than 24 hours, I would definitely recommend submitting something! It is also worth noting that you can still apply for mitigation up to 24 hours after your coursework deadline - I don't know how long it has been since the deadline has passed, but this might be an option!
In terms of how this might impact your progression through this year, again the best person to ask is your personal tutor, module convenor or your student Hub. I believe your Hub should remain open until tomorrow (Thursday 21st December) so this might be the best place to start!

Going forward, my best advice would be to stay in contact with your personal tutor if you're experiencing regular difficulties with work, and they'll be able to come up with a plan that works best for you!

I hope this has helped in some way, feel free to get in touch with further questions.

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Thank you for the reply, Kitty, it definitely has helped. I have messaged my tutor and will make an appointment with the educational welfare and wellbeing team next year to get help with work and my mental health. I hope you have a nice Christmas :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending