The Student Room Group

Accidentally missed an assignment (due today)

I know I know I should be better organised and it's my fault, but I've been so overwhelmed navigating all these other modules and keeping up with other zoom classes and their assignments that I completely forgot. I think I'm going to fail the module.
Is it an automatic 0, or can you submit it late for a penalty or capped mark?
Original post by Anonymous
I know I know I should be better organised and it's my fault, but I've been so overwhelmed navigating all these other modules and keeping up with other zoom classes and their assignments that I completely forgot. I think I'm going to fail the module.

It is worth checking the policy of your institution with regards to a lack of submission of work. It is likely that you can appeal to the HE registrar in the organisation if you have had an illness or family bereavement, although for a lot of institutions this needs to be done before the deadline. It is worth contacting student support at your institution - most policy documents are available on your Universities website

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Desideri
Is it an automatic 0, or can you submit it late for a penalty or capped mark?

Original post by Arden University
It is worth checking the policy of your institution with regards to a lack of submission of work. It is likely that you can appeal to the HE registrar in the organisation if you have had an illness or family bereavement, although for a lot of institutions this needs to be done before the deadline. It is worth contacting student support at your institution - most policy documents are available on your Universities website

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

I just read the policy and it's Zero Tolerance ;(
I just read the policy and it's Zero Tolerance ;(

Pretty normal.
Uni is much more independant & you need to adjust to this.

Most unis forst year doesn't count so if you pass the year this mistake wont be an issue, its just important you learn from this & adjust accordingly.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Pretty normal.
Uni is much more independant & you need to adjust to this.

Most unis forst year doesn't count so if you pass the year this mistake wont be an issue, its just important you learn from this & adjust accordingly.

I don't think I can cope with how demanding it is honestly. I've never been so unhappy in my life. God I miss my parents

Any advice on how to manage time and get everything done?
I don't think I can cope with how demanding it is honestly. I've never been so unhappy in my life. God I miss my parents

It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed & being homesick wont help.

I would try and find ways to fill up your day, if any societies are doing virtual things or sports. Keeping busy and active helps integrate into uni life (imo).

As for how to manage work. You will have to pay attention to deadlines, look at the marking criteria, start work early and just make progress. If you can just get a bit of every piece of work done each day over time it will get completed. Also stay in contact with your course colleagues, perhaps work together to stay motivated, now obviously this will be quite hard with covid but maybe get 4 or 5 of you in a call or something.

Most of what you need to avoid missing a deadline again comes under the heading of "basic secretarial skills".

1) Start a work diary, electronic or paper - whatever works for you. A basic text file works with a bit of thought, but there are plenty of software tools for this that automatically fill in dates, days of the week etc. Check this every morning / evening to see what's coming up over the next few days.

2) Every time you get sent an email or told about a deadline in lectures get it in the diary. If it's a non-trivial thing that's going to take some time to deliver, add a warning that "xxx is due in yyy days time" well before the hand in date.

3) If you have a timetable for assorted assessed pieces of work, get these into the diary now as well.

4) Read your emails every day, morning and night without fail. This is usually the primary way that universities and individual lecturers communicate with you. Do this with machine like regularity so you don't miss anything important.

That's all you need to handle 95% of standard deadlines. The other 5% tends to involve group work where you are part of a team, that still generates diary entries, but you have the problem of getting other people to do their bit on time as well. That's a different skill set :smile:.
(edited 3 years ago)

What Mr weds said, but you cant really have that many modules?

Not much different from A levels?

Just have a to do list and when you are given work then note the date given and when expected.
I would contact the tutor, explain what happened and if you can resubmit. Tell them you know the zero tolerance. You will most likely be scored 0.
You can mention MH issues homesickness, covid, loneliness and it passed you by as an oversight, but that might not get you anywhere.
In the event you havent done your essay at all, then dont ask for a resubmission date, but expect to be given one and get the essay done as soon as you reasonably can. You will be scored zero and the new essay will need to make 40%, depending on how the module works.

Hi!!

You can still submit it later but it will be capped :frown: My university caps it at 40% :frown: However, that's not a fail!!

Maybe speak to your tutor, say that it is all overwhelming etc and see if something can be figured out?

I'm sorry this happened! This year is stressful - I struggle myself to keep up with the online learning :frown: Next time keep orgainsed, get a dirary or hang it up on your wall!! It happens to the best of, trust me :smile:

You will not fail that module :smile: Try extra hard on the rest of the assesments :smile:

I wish you all the best :smile:

Marlena - Official Studenst Rep :smile:
Hi guys what happens if I fail all my assignments at uni just a question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending