The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine with low ucat score, is it possible?

i’ve just graduated with a 2.1 in my biomedical sciences undergraduate degree. I’m currently on a year out working as a medical laboratory assistant and planned to apply for PA studies for the upcoming year. My university’s careers advisor suggested this week that i also put in an application for graduate entry medicine to try my luck. So I booked the UCAT 3 days ago and sat it today and got the following score:

VR 600
DM 560
QR 590
AR 590
TOTAL 2340

SJ - band 2

(Not a good score i know, but not terrible considering i only has 3 days to prepare.)

Is it worth putting in an application with those scores, and if so which university’s should i apply for to optimise my chances of an interview? I should also mention i do have extensive experience volunteering in a hospital and with a local homeless charity - both of which i’ve been involved with over the past year. Lastly, i also worked in a healthcare setting for 12 months (During the 2nd year of my undergrad degree) which involved hands on interaction with patients.

Any advice from GEM students who got similar scores to me would be greatly appreciated!

Original post by biomed3343
i’ve just graduated with a 2.1 in my biomedical sciences undergraduate degree. I’m currently on a year out working as a medical laboratory assistant and planned to apply for PA studies for the upcoming year. My university’s careers advisor suggested this week that i also put in an application for graduate entry medicine to try my luck. So I booked the UCAT 3 days ago and sat it today and got the following score:

VR 600
DM 560
QR 590
AR 590
TOTAL 2340

SJ - band 2

(Not a good score i know, but not terrible considering i only has 3 days to prepare.)

Is it worth putting in an application with those scores, and if so which university’s should i apply for to optimise my chances of an interview? I should also mention i do have extensive experience volunteering in a hospital and with a local homeless charity - both of which i’ve been involved with over the past year. Lastly, i also worked in a healthcare setting for 12 months (During the 2nd year of my undergrad degree) which involved hands on interaction with patients.

Any advice from GEM students who got similar scores to me would be greatly appreciated!

You wouldn’t be applying until next year now that the deadline has passed. I would suggest study more and retake the UCAT next year.

if memory serves me you have to take the UCAT during the same year you apply. So you would have to take it again next year anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Bilateral88
You wouldn’t be applying until next year now that the deadline has passed. I would suggest study more and retake the UCAT next year.

if memory serves me you have to take the UCAT during the same year you apply. So you would have to take it again next year anyway.

UCAS deadline for medicine applications is 15th October
Reply 3
Hi, i believe the deadline for GEM in the UK is the 15th of October 2022 for September 2023 entry - so if i’m correct i have one month left to submit my application.

Do you think it would be worth submitting an application with the scores i got today?

& thank you for your response :smile:
Reply 4
Hi, i believe the deadline for GEM in the UK is the 15th of October 2022 for September 2023 entry - so if i’m correct i have one month left to submit my application.

Do you think it would be worth submitting an application with the scores i got today?

& thank you for your response :smile:

Hi did you end up applying ? Literally in the same situation as you last year and not sure what to do
Reply 5

VR 600
DM 560
QR 590
AR 590
TOTAL 2340

SJ - band 2

hi ! did you apply/get offers? in the same situation currently - please reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending