The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton 2023 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PaulaFr
Hi, I was wondering how the student accommodation situation is in Southampton after first year. Watching students struggle to get housing in Durham in the news recently will really put people off applying so was wondering how Southampton compares. Also what is the going rate for renting after first year? Thanks.

Hi,

I completely understand your concern! My own experience from renting privately in Southampton has been really good (I am currently a third year student). There is lots of accommodation available to rent near the university campuses and further out into the city, so there is the option to choose wherever suits you best. Finding housemates can be a big concern for students, but SUSU holds 'Find a housemate' events which gathers everyone who is looking for somewhere to live with those who are looking to fill a room in their house and introduces them to each other.

Dealing with private landlords can also be quite daunting, but SUSU have previously offered a service that will allow students to approach them with their housing contracts and they will check it over for them, to make sure everything is in place and there is nothing sneaky in there to catch you out. It is of course important to check this service is still running as things are of course subject to change.

As for the going rate of renting, I really cannot say. It really depends on where you live, and who you are renting with.

I hope this helps.

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by edna.l
What course are you applying for? Biomedical Science

What subjects are you studying now? Bio, Chem, Math AI, Geo, English lang lit, Chinese B

do you do ib? Me too! And I’ve applied for biomed :smile:
Reply 42
Hello! Just got an offer from Southampton today for Politics and Modern History. I am studying Eng Lit, History, and Politics A level right now and predicted A*, A* , A. I applied on the 4th of Nov and got an offer today (the 16th) !
Hi, I received an offer last month from Southampton to study Modern languages, and a friend who also received an offer (to study history) has had an email about offer holder/subject days but I haven't heard anything yet. I know it's not good to compare but just wondering if anyone knows if this is because offer holder days are different depending on the subject or for some other reason, and if so when do you usually hear back about them? :smile:
Got an offer for computer science at Southampton today! (17th November). I applied on 11th October
Original post by DaydreamLagoon
Got an offer for computer science at Southampton today! (17th November). I applied on 11th October

Congrats on the offer. If you don’t mind me asking what where you gcse and a level prediction also if you don’t mind sharing what kind of things did you do for your personal statement?
Original post by Rainyzack
Congrats on the offer. If you don’t mind me asking what where you gcse and a level prediction also if you don’t mind sharing what kind of things did you do for your personal statement?

Thank you!
GCSEs: eight grade 9s, three grade 8s
A level predicted grades: Maths A*, Further Maths A*, Physics A*
Stuff included in personal statement: I mentioned a program I wrote, discussed an article I read online, mentioned a competition I took part in, discussed some engineering challenges/technological projects that I saw on YouTube.
Extracurriculars: basically just mentioned that I learned some basic C++
Original post by ramennoddles
I applying for Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry, currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. Haven't received an offer yet, but I'm not sure how long engineering would take? I sent it in on the 14th

I've also applied to the same course on the same day! Still waiting for my response
Original post by P1234576898
I've also applied to the same course on the same day! Still waiting for my response

I applied for mechanical engineering with sustainable energy systems on the 7th October then heard back with an offer on the 8th November if that helps!
Original post by GiftedDipstick
I applied for mechanical engineering with sustainable energy systems on the 7th October then heard back with an offer on the 8th November if that helps!

Congratulations!! and thank you for the info.
hi! I have never been to the UK so just wondering what Southampton is like? I have been told that is it a nice city, but can I ask for more information? and how u finding the course ??

Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi both,

Unfortunatley it's really difficult to say what will and won't be accepted - the best thing to recomend is applying for 1-2 courses above your recomended grades, 2-3 within your grade range and 1-2 below your grades as an insurance choice.

I wish you both the best of luck with your applications - please let me know if you have any questions about occupational therapy or University of Southampton :smile:

Katie
2nd year MSc Occupational Therapy student
University of Southampton student rep
Reply 51
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi all,

Congratulations on starting to get your offers through!! Please let us know if you have any questions about the university, city or courses and we will try our best to answer!!

Looking foward to hearing from you and seeing more offers come through :smile:

Katie
Student ambassador

Have nursing interviews started yet?
Original post by Anonymous
hi! I have never been to the UK so just wondering what Southampton is like? I have been told that is it a nice city, but can I ask for more information? and how u finding the course ??

Hi there,

Of course I can provide you some infomation about the city! Southampton is a port city on the South East coast of England. Southampton is quite a big city and includes two universities (University of Southampton and Solent University), this makes it quite a lively city to be in.

In terms of facilities, Southampton has West Quay which is a large shopping centre, it also contains lots of food outlets and restaurants as well as a big cinema (with reclining chairs!) and bowling. Outside West Quay they often have different activities going on - currently there is an ice rink but they also often have a big screen for watching sports, a bar in the summer and roller disco. Southampton has a few live music venues, the biggest one being Southampton Guildhall. Southampton is also home to Saint Mary's stadium, the stadium that Southampton FC play at. Around the city there is lots of clubs and bars, some of these are in the city centre and there are also some in Portswood (a popular student area for University of Southampton students). Another popular place for Southampton resdidents and students is Southampton Common which is a lovely large open green space.

As a city we are really well connected, you can get trains direct to lots of places. Closeby we have Bournemouth (a lovely seaside town), Portsmouth (lots of shopping including the designer outlet, Gunwharf Quays), the New Forest (a large national park, famous for it's horses and new forest donkeys) and London is just 1 hour 20 minutes away on the train.

If you are in halls of residence in University of Southampton in your first year you get a free bus pass - this is an amazing way to explore around the city, including taking you down to the city centre and to the train station so you can explore other parts of the UK too.

In terms of my course I've really enjoyed it - whilst it's been tough at times its also so rewarding and I'm excited to qualify soon!

I hope I haven't forgotten any main points, please let me know if you have any further questions!

Katie
University of Southampton student rep
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kay40
Have nursing interviews started yet?

Hi @Kay40,

I've just spoken with a nursing ambassador who has informed me that nursing interviews usually start in the new year!

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

Katie
hii i also applied to southampton for english language and linguistics on 22nd november ~ it is my first choice so i really hope i get an offer ! they require ABB, do you think they would give me an offer as my predicted is AAA? i heard it will be more competitive this year ;_;i hope to see some of u guys in september ~
Reply 55
I also applied to Southampton for Occupational Therapy, hoping to able to connect with a current student.
Are interviews still virtual?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, have Physiotherapy interviews started yet?
I am home student and applied before 15th October, but haven't heard anything yet. In Physiotherapy 2023 UCAS thread I saw an international students got an interview offer from Southampton last week. It made me worried.
Reply 57
has anyone received an offer for Biomedical Engineering?
Has anyone received an offer for H490 (Astronautics and Aeronautics/ Aerodynamics) ?
Reply 59
hi has anyone heard back from southampton for cardiac physiology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending