The Student Room Group

my phone doesn't go past white apple logo and black background screen to lock screen.

Hi I am using a iPhone 5c 32gb using the last iOS for it iOS 10.3.3, I have filled up the storage I think and the phone doesn't go past the white apple logo with black screen when you switch it on, I have tried to connect the phone cable with usb to my computer to try and connect it to iTunes to try and put it into recovery mode and see the update, restore function and connect it to reiboot by tenorshare to try and use their one click enter recovery mode to make a difference though, it says to go into recovery mode first in the reboot program to let me do this, even though my iPhone usb cable is connected to it. My cable is frayed and I can see the green under the plastic cable cover and a red and green wires though it does charge my phone. Could it be the phone cable not letting iTunes or reiboot enter recovery mode on the phone or is it something else like the storage being full.

Also when my dad dropped his 2013 Mac book pro with sata rotating hard drive, the person at the genius bar at a apple store said if the hard drive was damaged and they couldn't get into the laptop, id have to go to a data recovery company and it could cost thousands to get the data back form the computer. Say with my iPhone can the genius bar or the apple store or anyone get all my camera roll and pictures and video back if the phone can't get past the white apple logo and black screen, for whatever reason because my iPhone storage is full or there is a issue with the iOS operating system that means it is not getting to the lock screen when switched on.

Lastly foreign media is saying the last day for WhatsApp to work on iOS 10 and 11 is 23rd or 24th October, does anyone know if this is true and what do they mean by this, does it mean you can't send and receive WhatsApp messages after 23rd or 24th October of you are using iOS 10 or 11 or is it only limited to group chats or other things in WhatsApp?
Original post by mr778
Hi I am using a iPhone 5c 32gb using the last iOS for it iOS 10.3.3, I have filled up the storage I think and the phone doesn't go past the white apple logo with black screen when you switch it on, I have tried to connect the phone cable with usb to my computer to try and connect it to iTunes to try and put it into recovery mode and see the update, restore function and connect it to reiboot by tenorshare to try and use their one click enter recovery mode to make a difference though, it says to go into recovery mode first in the reboot program to let me do this, even though my iPhone usb cable is connected to it. My cable is frayed and I can see the green under the plastic cable cover and a red and green wires though it does charge my phone. Could it be the phone cable not letting iTunes or reiboot enter recovery mode on the phone or is it something else like the storage being full.

A dodgy cable could certainly be causing the issue connecting your phone to your computer. The individual connections within the cable responsible for power are different to those responsible for data transfer. Could you borrow a working cable from a friend or family member?

Are you following the process documented by Apple here? Note what they say about the fact then doing an Update will preserve data but a Restore will wipe it and attempt to restore it from a backup (assuming you have one).

Original post by mr778
Also when my dad dropped his 2013 Mac book pro with sata rotating hard drive, the person at the genius bar at a apple store said if the hard drive was damaged and they couldn't get into the laptop, id have to go to a data recovery company and it could cost thousands to get the data back form the computer. Say with my iPhone can the genius bar or the apple store or anyone get all my camera roll and pictures and video back if the phone can't get past the white apple logo and black screen, for whatever reason because my iPhone storage is full or there is a issue with the iOS operating system that means it is not getting to the lock screen when switched on.

Do you have your iPhone configured to backup to iCloud? Try logging into iCloud on the web and see whether all your pictures are there. If your phone can't boot beyond the Apple logo, it will be very difficult (perhaps impossible) to extract any data stored on it.

Original post by mr778
Lastly foreign media is saying the last day for WhatsApp to work on iOS 10 and 11 is 23rd or 24th October, does anyone know if this is true and what do they mean by this, does it mean you can't send and receive WhatsApp messages after 23rd or 24th October of you are using iOS 10 or 11 or is it only limited to group chats or other things in WhatsApp?

Apparently this is the case. WhatsApp will "stop supporting" iOS 10 and 11 after 24 October 2022, meaning that it will no longer be compatible with iPhone 5 or iPhone 5C. When your phone was working, did you receive a notification within WhatsApp along the lines of "WhatsApp will stop supporting this version of iOS after 24 Oct 2022"?

As I understand it, you will not be able to send or receive messages from your iPhone 5C after that date. Whether you will be able to view old/existing messages isn't clear.

See this page on the WhatsApp web site for confirmation that, "We support iOS 12 or newer".

Perhaps it's time for a new phone.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
A dodgy cable could certainly be causing the issue connecting your phone to your computer. The individual connections within the cable responsible for power are different to those responsible for data transfer. Could you borrow a working cable from a friend or family member?

Are you following the process documented by Apple here? Note what they say about the fact then doing an Update will preserve data but a Restore will wipe it and attempt to restore it from a backup (assuming you have one).

I tried to press the home button and on off button at the top right of the phone but it doesn't go into recovery mode whilst connected to my Mac book pro and plugged into the usb 3 port with the frayed cable with green showing underneath the plastic overcast and green red and yellow wires showing below the green underneath the plastic over case. Ill take it to the apple store and see if they can attach a cable to it and see if it works then or maybe buy a charging/usb cable for the iPhone 5c. No one in my family has a similar era phone unfortunately, unless a iPhone 8 plus or iPhone 11 pro cable would work?

Do you have your iPhone configured to backup to iCloud? Try logging into iCloud on the web and see whether all your pictures are there. If your phone can't boot beyond the Apple logo, it will be very difficult (perhaps impossible) to extract any data stored on it.

I backed up the photos then present on the phone and the pictures I wanted I took them off onto my computer in august 2021 using apple support's help, there was a issue then again with storage full all my photo stream and all pictures in the photos app disappeared then as I deleted apps they started reappearing, I think it was because my iCloud photo or some setting in iCloud relating to photos or in photos relating to iCloud was switched on or something and they couldn't be uploaded to the cloud because my storage on my phone was full. I was told to switch off the iCloud photo mode. The issue is there are more photos I have taken since august 2021 and I don't know if I can retrieve them with apple supports help or apple stores help or a iOS fixing software like tenorshare ifixit, which is kind of worrying me. Also if my last WhatsApp chats save was in august 2021 also will I still get contacts and chats from after august 2021 on a new iPhone if I restore my chats and use the same account after downloading the WhatsApp app onto the phone do you know? I have 3 new chats and contacts since august 2021 but I don't know if they will be on the new iPhone if I get one and download the WhatsApp app. when you start the WhatsApp app for the first time does it connect to your old account and are all your contacts there from the time you last used it? also are all the chats there from the last time you used it or only the ones you saved to iCloud in a WhatsApp backup?

Apparently this is the case. WhatsApp will "stop supporting" iOS 10 and 11 after 24 October 2022, meaning that it will no longer be compatible with iPhone 5 or iPhone 5C. When your phone was working, did you receive a notification within WhatsApp along the lines of "WhatsApp will stop supporting this version of iOS after 24 Oct 2022"?

I didn't receive a message like that at all unfortunately, maybe it would have been sent to me in October perhaps?

As I understand it, you will not be able to send or receive messages from your iPhone 5C after that date. Whether you will be able to view old/existing messages isn't clear.

See this page on the WhatsApp web site for confirmation that, "We support iOS 12 or newer".

Perhaps it's time for a new phone.

Thanks so much
Reply 3
Ive quoted your reply with answers in the message above (3rd post on this thread I think) I didn't know how to quote in sections like you have.
I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by displaying a red Apple logo on your Apple Watch. here are some steps you can take to fix the issue:-
1. Charge Your Apple Watch:- Low battery is a common culprit. Connect your Apple Watch to its charger and let it charge for at least 2 hours.
2. Force Restart:- Press and hold both the side button and the Digital Crown simultaneously for at least 10 seconds. Release both buttons when the Apple logo appears. This will force the Watch to restart, potentially resolving minor software glitches.
3. Check for Physical Damage:- Inspect your Apple Watch for any obvious signs of physical damage, particularly related to water exposure. If you notice damage, contact Apple Support for authorized repair.
4. Software Issue (More Serious):- If the red logo continues to appear, there might be a more significant software issue. Contact Apple Support. They can provide further instructions for potential solutions, possibly including sending the Apple Watch in for repair or replacement. Follow more details assistance below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSjxV6MaF0E&ab_channel=TheGeekPagehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSjxV6MaF0E&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

Latest

Trending

Trending