The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XVII

Scroll to see replies

Follows on from similar from Paul Joyce and other local journos last night. Disappointed of course because of how he has done and his connection to the club but of course would have been a risk early into his management career - from his perspective lines him up possibly for the Real job a year later which isn’t a surprise.

Anyone we get will feel disappointing after losing Klopp but will back them for sure. Seems Amorim is top of our list as it goes.
Original post by Mushi_master
Follows on from similar from Paul Joyce and other local journos last night. Disappointed of course because of how he has done and his connection to the club but of course would have been a risk early into his management career - from his perspective lines him up possibly for the Real job a year later which isn’t a surprise.
Anyone we get will feel disappointing after losing Klopp but will back them for sure. Seems Amorim is top of our list as it goes.

Alonso has now talked about it in a press conference

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68692969

Seems a big risk to try and wait a year or two to get the Madrid job. I think it's less about that and more to do with Alonso wanting more time to develop as a coach? Can't forget he had a spell for Real Sociedad B and then only been a little over 18 months now at Leverkusen.

Klopp had been manager for 14 years before he took on the Liverpool job.

Or maybe he didn't want to try and follow Klopp's tenure since no doubt it will cast a huge shadow.
Original post by Zerforax
Alonso has now talked about it in a press conference

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68692969

Seems a big risk to try and wait a year or two to get the Madrid job. I think it's less about that and more to do with Alonso wanting more time to develop as a coach? Can't forget he had a spell for Real Sociedad B and then only been a little over 18 months now at Leverkusen.

Klopp had been manager for 14 years before he took on the Liverpool job.

Or maybe he didn't want to try and follow Klopp's tenure since no doubt it will cast a huge shadow.

I suspect you’re right - he seems to have had a clear plan of his progression in his career so far so this is probably just part of that. Timing is a shame though as the Liverpool job historically hasn’t come around that often and hopefully won’t again for a while as it means we’re doing well (then I suppose we haven’t missed him anyway!).
Original post by Mushi_master
I suspect you’re right - he seems to have had a clear plan of his progression in his career so far so this is probably just part of that. Timing is a shame though as the Liverpool job historically hasn’t come around that often and hopefully won’t again for a while as it means we’re doing well (then I suppose we haven’t missed him anyway!).

I guess he's seen ex-players with big names be given big jobs quickly because of their name and not their experience and seen how it can go south quite quickly (see Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney for easy examples vs Arteta).

Perhaps Bayer Leverkusen have given him some assurances that the whole squad won't be put up for sale this summer.

Alonso obviously had some experience in Real Madrid coaching (U14s) and then Real Sociedad B. He did well to get Real Sociedad B promoted in their second season but they actually got relegated again in his third season.

At Bayer Leverkusen, he did the whole "get away from relegation" in his first season and in his 2nd season he's done fighting for the title and playing in Europe. But he has no experience as a manager in the Champions League. If he went to Bayern Munich/Liverpool/Real Madrid, all of those are among the favourites to win a CL or get to the latter stages. Staying at Leverkusen means he can have a free hit (will be 8 group games against 8 different teams) in trying to get some experience in the CL. No doubt the Leverkusen ownership and his players will also appreciate his loyalty.

Anyway, it's only because he is an ex-Liverpool player and had a glittering career that we're so starry eyed over Alonso. He's made his choice and like you say, it's probably now unlikely he will take the LFC job any time soon.

Seems Ruben Amorim and De Zerbi are probably the favourites now? Any other wild names that we've been linked to?

Looking forward to tomorrow, be nice to get back into the thick of football in a title race challenge and we're basically playing every 3 days for the next few weeks.
Kelleher; Bradley, Quansah, Van Dijk, Gomez; Endo, Szoboszlai, Mac Allister; Salah, Nunez, Diaz.

Subs: Adrian, Konate, Gakpo, Elliott, Tsimikas, Gravenberch, Clark, McConnell, Danns
SALAH!!!!
That was a stressful win. Brighton are a good side and always threatening. Really glad we got the 3 points but would've been nice if it was an easier game on the heart!

Also pleased that Man City vs Arsenal finished 0-0. I think that was the best result for us.

Now we roll onto Sheffield Utd on Thursday night.
I wish we could channel Man City's level of luck.. Ollie Watkins picks up an injury but will only miss the Man City game tonight :rolleyes:

I had some hope that Aston Villa might have some joy tonight but hard to see without Watkins and McGinn.
I hope we don't make hard work of Sheffield United tonight. We have the best home form and Sheffield Utd have the worst away form.. so it should be a banker 3 points for us but I guess you never know in this league.
Kelleher; Bradley, Konate, Van Dijk, Gomez; Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch; Salah, Nunez, Diaz.

Subs: Adrian, Jones, Gakpo, Elliott, Tsimikas, Robertson, Clark, Danns, Quansah
NUNEZ!!!!!!!
1-1 Bradley OG
8 games left 👀
It's weird.. in individual games, we don't really seem to be smashing anyone. Games always feel a bit tight and nervy. Maybe because we are winning so many games in the last 15 minutes?

Opposition fans might say our luck will run out and we're not going to win the league. Flip side is that these mentality monsters obviously mean business and keep finding ways to win.

Roll on to Old Trafford.. Man Utd might be a bit sore after losing despite leading 3-2 in the 99th minute then losing 4-3. But they seem to have a massive injury crises which can only be good for us.
I’d be shocked if Liverpool managed to win at Old Trafford. If they do then I will change my mind and back them to win the League over Arsenal.
Original post by Zerforax
It's weird.. in individual games, we don't really seem to be smashing anyone. Games always feel a bit tight and nervy. Maybe because we are winning so many games in the last 15 minutes?
Opposition fans might say our luck will run out and we're not going to win the league. Flip side is that these mentality monsters obviously mean business and keep finding ways to win.
Roll on to Old Trafford.. Man Utd might be a bit sore after losing despite leading 3-2 in the 99th minute then losing 4-3. But they seem to have a massive injury crises which can only be good for us.

Old Trafford will be a big test.
Original post by Driving_Mad
I’d be shocked if Liverpool managed to win at Old Trafford. If they do then I will change my mind and back them to win the League over Arsenal.

We do seem to struggle at OT under Klopp. Although it looks like Man Utd might have a bit of an injury crises at the moment for Sunday.. I saw Varane and Evans both go off injured against Chelsea.

Can't ignore that Man Utd lost last night 4-3 after being 3-2 up in the 99th minute :rofl:
Regardless of who wins the title this year, I think its fair to say they wont be remembered will they? Arsenal/City are mechanical af and with everything about playing the %s of xG which takes away individual risk taking (modern football generally) and none of the 3 teams youd say are "unbelieveable". This conicides with a period when Utd/Chelsea are in "transition"(arent they always?) and Spurs are Spurs. We have Villa top 4 ffs and some genuinely appaling teams in the division. Arsenal lack an out and out goalscorer and so we're relying on a grinding defence to win it arent we, hardly the stuff of memory. Then you have no real "beef" between any managers or fanbases with Arsenal/City/Liverpool about as vanilla and friendly as they come.

Cant say its been a very memorable season with a few moments aside actually...
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Zürich
Regardless of who wins the title this year, I think its fair to say they wont be remembered will they? Arsenal/City are mechanical af and with everything about playing the %s of xG which takes away individual risk taking (modern football generally) and none of the 3 teams youd say are "unbelieveable". This conicides with a period when Utd/Chelsea are in "transition"(arent they always?) and Spurs are Spurs. We have Villa top 4 ffs and some genuinely appaling teams in the division. Arsenal lack an out and out goalscorer and so we're relying on a grinding defence to win it arent we, hardly the stuff of memory. Then you have no real "beef" between any managers or fanbases with Arsenal/City/Liverpool about as vanilla and friendly as they come.
Cant say its been a very memorable season with a few moments aside actually...

Quality wise it's weak yeah. But great to see such a close 3 horse race. Could be remembered but only for that

Quick Reply

Latest