The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Settling into University tips

You have started University which can be both exciting and nerve wracking. Maybe you have moved away from home and are feeling a bit home sick. Just know this is a normal feeling and it does pass.

Carry on reading for my top tips to help you settle into University.

Get to know your housemates. It can be scary when you’re thrown into living with a bunch of strangers, but your new housemates are likely to become friends. Try and do things together maybe have a movie night or go out for food together.

Decorate and personalise your room. I added photographs, plants and fairy lights to my room. This really helped to make it feel homely and more mine.

Explore the city - Exploring the city really helped me to feel at home. . York is a beautiful city with lots of hidden gems. A few of my favourite places are museum gardens, Spark and The Shambles.

Familiarise yourself with where the nearest supermarket are. This will really help when doing your food shopping.

Call home - I was really strict with myself and did not go home for the first month. Instead I would facetime my family and friends. This really helped me with homesickness

Prioritise downtime. This was something that really helped me in my first year. Just taking time out for yourself maybe watch a movie or do a facemask. Making sure you have time to relax is really important and will help ensure you do not end up getting burnt out.

Find what works for you in terms of taking notes in lectures and seminars. I use a laptop to take notes but this is just personal preference.

I hope a few of these tips have helped! Stick with it, know that your feelings are valid and have an amazing time at Uni

Rebecca 2nd year Education student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending