The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2023 Watch

Scroll to see replies

Do mixed common law sets tend to send their rejections/first round of interview invitations, earlier than criminal sets?
Does anybody actually know the average period it takes chambers to sift through apps and reach out?
Original post by Alessandra97
Do mixed common law sets tend to send their rejections/first round of interview invitations, earlier than criminal sets?

I'm not sure, but I'm a criminal applicant and all of mine definitely seem to have suggested they will be out a lot later than this. One said the results of the paper sift won't be out until the 24th March. Looks like we have fun wait ahead!
I’ve had a common law first round interview invite but nothing from the criminal sets…they all seem to suggest mid march..
Has anyone heard from North Square Barristers yet? And does anyone know anything about them? All I can see is that they're based in North Shields. Anyone know anything more?
Does anyone know where to find our candidate numbers?
25 Canada Square rejections out as of this morning....
Kings Chambers first round interview invites out this morning.
Anyone heard from any Manchester sets apart from Kings? Or any Liverpool sets?
Original post by Astudent1997m
Anyone heard from any Manchester sets apart from Kings? Or any Liverpool sets?

Central and King's in Manchester
Unit in Liverpool
Original post by Alessandra97

No pattern to that at all. Each set is different, and not because of their practice areas.

Original post by giovannicraggos
Has anyone heard from North Square Barristers yet? And does anyone know anything about them? All I can see is that they're based in North Shields. Anyone know anything more?

I'd never heard of them, but from a thirty second Google it looks like a Chambers comprised of a silk and two juniors, assuming this is the same one.

http://www.goldbergqc.com

Original post by Akotsakis
Does anybody actually know the average period it takes chambers to sift through apps and reach out?

I don't think there's data on that, but even if there was it doesn't help you at all, because few to no sets will actually be average. Every set has a different process and takes a different period of time. The best you can do is look for the timetables they're working to on their websites, or wait to hear from people on here.
Has anyone heard from 7HS?
Anyone heard from SJB
thanks!

Original post by Crazy Jamie
No pattern to that at all. Each set is different, and not because of their practice areas.

I'd never heard of them, but from a thirty second Google it looks like a Chambers comprised of a silk and two juniors, assuming this is the same one.

http://www.goldbergqc.com

I don't think there's data on that, but even if there was it doesn't help you at all, because few to no sets will actually be average. Every set has a different process and takes a different period of time. The best you can do is look for the timetables they're working to on their websites, or wait to hear from people on here.
Hey I had a few questions,

on average how many pupilage do people apply for? (I done 7)
Is gaining a pupilage first time unheard of?
Do you need a 1st degree to get a good pupilage of £60k+?
Are inns bar course scholarships hard to get?
Is Lincoln’s in a good inn court to join compared to the others?
Do I have to apply for bar course before getting a scholarship?

Sorry for the long questions I wasn’t going to apply for any legal jobs as I already have a graduate job but I was offered a scholarship interview so rushed and applied to pupilage a few days before gateway closed.

Thank you
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 95
Original post by pilotlawgrad123

Sorry for the long questions I wasn’t going to apply for any legal jobs as I already have a graduate job but I was offered a scholarship interview so rushed and applied to pupilage a few days before gateway closed.

Thank you

This is purely my experience and a few people may jump in to correct me, especially those working barristers like Jamie. But anyway:

Completely depends on how much time they have to work on them and how much effort they put into them. Quality is more important. However, as my friends go, you sit at just below average.

No, but it's difficult and not very common.

You don't NEED it, but it will help a lot.

I believe it's something like 1 of every 3 or 4 applicants get something. I got a great one and didn't have a particularly stand-out CV so I guess it depends a bit on how you do on the day. I'm Inner Temple, the other Inns may work differently and they definitely have various processes.

There's very little to distinguish them and I have heard that applying for the scholarship is a good idea before joining, as you can change where to apply for a scholarship the following year (if unsuccessful) if you wish. If you join, you can't.

No
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ezlaw
This is purely my experience and a few people may jump in to correct me, especially those working barristers like Jamie. But anyway:

Completely depends on how much time they have to work on them and how much effort they put into them. Quality is more important. However, as my friends go, you sit at just below average.

No, but it's difficult and not very common.

You don't NEED it, but it will help a lot.

I believe it's something like 1 of every 3 or 4 applicants get something. I got a great one and didn't have a particularly stand-out CV so I guess it depends a bit on how you do on the day. I'm Inner Temple, the other Inns may work differently and they definitely have various processes.

There's very little to distinguish them and I have heard that applying for the scholarship is a good idea before joining, as you can change where to apply for a scholarship the following year (if unsuccessful) if you wish. If you join, you can't.

No

I agree with all of this, save that if we're talking a £60,000 first six grant, I think you probably would need a First for that sort of calibre of Chambers. If we're talking a combined £60,000 including guaranteed second six earnings, it wouldn't be absolutely essential, but that is still going to be a good set in the grand scheme of things, and whilst a First won't be essential, it'll certainly help as you say.
1COR Brighton have sent a strange email today. Making it through the academic sift and now it’s time to make it through the paper sift. It’s nice to know this in certain respects, but, it’s an odd update. Was anyone else a little confused by its purpose to us. Do we think it’s just a polite update? If so, they should all follow suit I think.
Has anyone else has the Guernica 37 email:
Thank you for your application for pupillage.

“Your application is being considered by the pupillage committee and they will contact in due course regarding the interview process.

Regards,”

It’s not a rejection and it’s not an interview confirmation. I don’t know how to interpret it? Any ideas. My first year applying to them as they looked really interesting. Not sure what to make of the email. Cue the over analysis!
Original post by pilotlawgrad123

Thank you

I think it varies for everyone each year. Some people go for quality others quantity. My mentor said to go for quantity… make from that what you will.

it is not unheard of. Although the people I know who got it first round were in clearly aligned careers, good networkers and first class scholars. To give you and idea I work in the legal sector, have a number of degrees and this is my fourth year. Not everyone is lucky and there is a lot of being the “right fit”. It’s possible, but don’t loose heart and get used to rejection and bouncing back is my advice!

no, I’ve applied for the highest paid and the lowest and got through to second rounds without a first.

To be honest, all inns are pretty much the same. However, it is a bit like choosing your Harry Potter house. Some have more academic mentalities, some are very social focussed and others sit in the middle. Not all allow your Bar call to be in a wig though! Worth asking if that matters to you.

no apply for scholarships any time.

Enjoy the ride though, the Bar is not for the faint hearted. However, nothing compares!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending