The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme Cohort 12 (2023) Applicants Thread

It's that time of year again :ahee:

The Sutton Trust US Programme gives state school students a chance to explore studying in the United States. You get a helping hand through the process alongside likeminded peers, and an all expenses paid trip to the States to see universities!

Applications are open now, and close on the 15th January 2023. If you're an alumni, please feel free to share your experiences!! I'll go first :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Cohort 8 here!

One of the best experiences of my life. All of the residentials were very informative - and the US week was phenomenal. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried when it was over as it would be the last time we were all in one place together (as not all of us would actually be applying to the US for various reasons). I made some great friends who I'm still in contact with today.

The support they give, from taking the ACT right through to getting a visa, is so valuable and more than you can get from anywhere (even my pinned thread here can't compare at all), because it's so personal! They really work with you to know what you need and advise on how to get there.

I'd definitely recommend the programme to anyone thinking of studying in the US.
Reply 3
Original post by ry7xsfa
Cohort 8 here!

One of the best experiences of my life. All of the residentials were very informative - and the US week was phenomenal. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried when it was over as it would be the last time we were all in one place together (as not all of us would actually be applying to the US for various reasons). I made some great friends who I'm still in contact with today.

The support they give, from taking the ACT right through to getting a visa, is so valuable and more than you can get from anywhere (even my pinned thread here can't compare at all), because it's so personal! They really work with you to know what you need and advise on how to get there.

I'd definitely recommend the programme to anyone thinking of studying in the US.

Hi ry7xsfa

I would love to know - is only having 3 or 4 'meaningful' ECs - especially if they only started recently - OK if you've got good grades and essays.

Thanks so much
Original post by eddie42
Hi ry7xsfa

I would love to know - is only having 3 or 4 'meaningful' ECs - especially if they only started recently - OK if you've got good grades and essays.

Thanks so much

Hey!

First off, sorry for the delayed response. The honest answer is that I'm not sure? I don't work in college admissions and can't even tell you what got me into Caltech. What I will say is that 3 or 4 meaningful ECs should be better than 7 to 8 short-term ones that don't have much meaning. You can check my AMA thread (which I notice you've already seen) to see what my ECs were for some context. Some of these were more long-term, while others were shorter term or long-term but infrequent (such as volunteering at robotics competitions, which typically was only a few times per year).

Hope this helps!
hi, why is no one that is applying this year on student room atm
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
hi, why is no one that is applying this year on student room atm

I’m not sure, I applied this year and was hoping people from this year would talk on here
Original post by xlibbyx
I’m not sure, I applied this year and was hoping people from this year would talk on here

hiiiii i also applied this year!! yes i agree , not a lot of people are active on this year’s forum :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by lilypod244
hiiiii i also applied this year!! yes i agree , not a lot of people are active on this year’s forum :frown:

Heyyyy! I know i was reading the forum from last year and so many people were active on it. Maybe it’s because less people applied this year, I’m not sure. Anyway good look with your application, I hope you get in :smile:
Yeah same how does everyone feel about results coming out next week
hey!! i've applied this year too and i totally get what you mean,, can't really find anyone talking about it anywhere </3
Original post by xlibbyx
Original post by lilypod244

yh how do you guys feel about results really hope i get in i’m starting to think my video interview wasn’t good enough
Original post by xlibbyx
yh how do you guys feel about results really hope i get in i’m starting to think my video interview wasn’t good enough

i thought my video interview sucked and i still got in so don't worry too much :smile:
Original post by vapordave
i thought my video interview sucked and i still got in so don't worry too much :smile:

really what about the rest what do you think of ur application was the reason you got in
also can more aluminis share their experiences
really what about the rest what do you think of ur application was the reason you got in

honestly no idea but i demonstrated significant interest in studying in the US and i think my "recent book/media" response was unique/thoughtful
honestly no idea but i demonstrated significant interest in studying in the US and i think my "recent book/media" response was unique/thoughtful

that’s good so how was your experience through each residential and the act test
Original post by miahampson
hey!! i've applied this year too and i totally get what you mean,, can't really find anyone talking about it anywhere </3

Omg yeah I feel like my video wasn’t unique at all and I feel like I didn’t have enough extracurriculars, plus i found it so hard to only write 150 words for the essays so I had to miss out a lot of important detail and stuff.

Did you do many extra curricula’s?
Also, does anyone know what kind of day we’ll get our acceptance/rejection email? Or do they like do it over the whole week?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending