The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme Cohort 12 (2023) Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
that’s good so how was your experience through each residential and the act test

april residential: really good! got to meet all the lovely people on my cohort and generally had lots of fun. you are sat in a lecture hall being talked at a lot of the time though; there's a lot of information crammed into the couple of days. don't worry if you know nothing about US universities because they assume such!

act: did not take for personal reasons so can't help you unfortunately

june residential: this one was virtual unfortunately, but it was mostly just going over things. more QnAs with people involved in the process this time round.

summer residential: for this one you will be in the US. we were not so it was basically a reprise of the april residential. it was fantastic to meet everyone again, and you're put in different groups so you get to mix with people you may not have otherwise interacted with. lots of QnAs, refining application stuff and we got to go to the US embassy!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by xlibbyx
Did you do many extra curricula’s?

i did/do a relatively normal amount of extracurriculars. i played an instrument all through secondary school, have been active in various ways on TSR and was on my school's very small debating team before COVID.
Original post by xlibbyx
Also, does anyone know what kind of day we’ll get our acceptance/rejection email? Or do they like do it over the whole week?

i hope it’s all at once because i’m already so nervous about it
Original post by xlibbyx
Also, does anyone know what kind of day we’ll get our acceptance/rejection email? Or do they like do it over the whole week?

it is staggered afaik
Original post by lilypod244
hiiiii i also applied this year!! yes i agree , not a lot of people are active on this year’s forum :frown:

Hey, I'm another person applying
Does anyone have any specific dates other than early March for acceptance/rejection?
Original post by xlibbyx
Omg yeah I feel like my video wasn’t unique at all and I feel like I didn’t have enough extracurriculars, plus i found it so hard to only write 150 words for the essays so I had to miss out a lot of important detail and stuff.

I don’t remember mine too much but I don’t feel too confident bout getting in since it’s so competitive Ali where do you guys think the American trip is to
Original post by Monkey.D.Lelouto
Does anyone have any specific dates other than early March for acceptance/rejection?

I feel like it’s gonna b march 3rd so like friday
Original post by vapordave
it is staggered afaik

Oh okay does that mean we could get an email tomorrow then?
yh how do you guys feel about results really hope i get in i’m starting to think my video interview wasn’t good enough

I'm worried about my video as well. I rushed it so badly as I had like a couple minutes before the deadline. What made it even worse was when I was looking at some of the other videos online and mine was no where as good. Hopefully the written side of the application improves my chances
Original post by lilypod244
I'm worried about my video as well. I rushed it so badly as I had like a couple minutes before the deadline. What made it even worse was when I was looking at some of the other videos online and mine was no where as good. Hopefully the written side of the application improves my chances

omg i literally done the same thing lmao same hope the writing makes up for it
also did anyone else get emailed a survey sort of thing from them the other day??
omg i literally done the same thing lmao same hope the writing makes up for it
Original post by miahampson
also did anyone else get emailed a survey sort of thing from them the other day??

yeah really thought it was the results aswell got sooo scared
ah okk all good,, no but when I saw the email my heart literally left my body
yeah really thought it was the results aswell got sooo scared
Yeah me neither, it’s so hard to get on to. I feel like because there’s two trips, one might be to like around New York and then the other one might be around California or something like that
Can people let me know when they receive their email?

I'm pretty sure it was just on the east side of the country but I could be lying- California or new york would be so cool though!! I didn't know there were two trips though??
Original post by xlibbyx
Yeah me neither, it’s so hard to get on to. I feel like because there’s two trips, one might be to like around New York and then the other one might be around California or something like that
I'm pretty sure it was just on the east side of the country but I could be lying- California or new york would be so cool though!! I didn't know there were two trips though??

Ohhh okay, I’m probably very wrong then haha. I think like because the period is over two weeks, we’ll be separated into two groups and one group will go on the trip on one week and the second group will go on the trip the next week, but I’m not sure that’s just a guess :smile:
ah okk all good,, no but when I saw the email my heart literally left my body

LOL same. saw "sutton trust us programme" in my email notifications and almost had a heart attack
Original post by xlibbyx

Last year's cohort seemed to get theirs in waves based on the alphabetical order of their names. They also got theirs on the 3rd of march. so this Friday possibly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending