The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme Cohort 12 (2023) Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

For the people who got accepted, how are you guys going to prepare for the ACT exam?
Original post by xlibbyx
For the people who got accepted, how are you guys going to prepare for the ACT exam?

I haven’t even started revising because I knew if I didn’t get into the programme I wouldn’t apply
To the us. Since I was accepted there’s lots of short videos on TikTok going through answers and online there are lots of practice questions. But I think we get tutoring or something like that
i got in, if u dont do well on the ACT can u not go?
Original post by annoyedcat1001
i got in, if u dont do well on the ACT can u not go?

I dont think you get to go on the trip if you don't sit it. I dont think the score matters too much
Original post by rossellaz0001
I dont think you get to go on the trip if you don't sit it. I dont think the score matters too much

calm ty
Original post by Harrysja
I haven’t even started revising because I knew if I didn’t get into the programme I wouldn’t apply
To the us. Since I was accepted there’s lots of short videos on TikTok going through answers and online there are lots of practice questions. But I think we get tutoring or something like that

Why wouldn’t I apply if you didn’t get in.
Original post by Anonymous

you
Did anyone get an email reminding about the survey?
Yh I was just about to comment but I already submitted it on the day they sent
(hopefully they didn't reject me because of that)
Hopefully they issue an email saying it was a mistake, kind of sucks they're asking us to do a survey on something we know we didn't get accepted into lol
Original post by Lunninagh
Did anyone get an email reminding about the survey?

Yo and I did it before so they r just rubbing it in my face atp
Did you already submit yours?
And also I saw an idea from a previous year's thread - does anyone want to create a group for those who were rejected to help each other apply in the autumn, or is everyone just not applying anymore? I'm kind of conflicted rn
Yo and I did it before so they r just rubbing it in my face atp

Fr
Did you already submit yours?
And also I saw an idea from a previous year's thread - does anyone want to create a group for those who were rejected to help each other apply in the autumn, or is everyone just not applying anymore? I'm kind of conflicted rn

Sure, I was already planning on applying before sutton trust so that would be great

Personally the process is both quite long and expensive so if I didn’t get in it I would be difficult
for me to apply. But thankfully I did get in personally didn’t expect it since my GCSEs weren’t the best but really excited to start the programme
Do you have any idea which uni it will be
Original post by xlibbyx

There’s a lot of free advice on YouTube (like walkthroughs and lessons on structure ext) and it’s quite easy to find past papers that are useful for familiarising yourself with the questions and structure of the exam. As for more general tips I recommend putting the most revision into sections you don’t do relating alevels for (for example if you’re doing all stem based subjects focus on the English/humanities section and if your doing humanities/English focus on maths and stem) also it’s definitely worth reaching out to your school/teachers as they may have had someone do this before and be able to support you.
Here are some links
SAT paper walkthrough- https://youtu.be/UFFUZHQdeCc
Maths no calc walkthrough- https://youtu.be/qZBBgsYuxZs
SAT advice for international students-
https://youtu.be/671wwkAayYU
https://youtu.be/k3vvNzMj7ls
Free SAT lessons (part of a playlist)- https://youtu.be/Xsw8QSgAP3k

Hope this helps!!
Original post by Justeve56
There’s a lot of free advice on YouTube (like walkthroughs and lessons on structure ext) and it’s quite easy to find past papers that are useful for familiarising yourself with the questions and structure of the exam. As for more general tips I recommend putting the most revision into sections you don’t do relating alevels for (for example if you’re doing all stem based subjects focus on the English/humanities section and if your doing humanities/English focus on maths and stem) also it’s definitely worth reaching out to your school/teachers as they may have had someone do this before and be able to support you.

Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I do STEM based subjects so I’ve been doing like past papers of the English section. Also, do you know anything about the optional writing section? Like if it’s better to take it or if it’s not that important to do it?
Do u know if everyone accepted their places on the programme?
(Sorry, just really desperate)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending