The Student Room Group

Unsure on my fifth university choice?

I originally picked Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Stirling, Strathclyde, and Glasgow. I'm applying in fifth year (Scotland) and I recently found out that Glasgow doesn't accept people who apply in fifth year. As well as this, Strathclyde is apparently quite competitive and it wasn't one of the universities I wanted to go to the most so I don't know if I should change that option too.

I'm applying for History and Politics. The only other university that does the course (in Scotland) is Dundee but I'm unsure since I've not heard much about the university. I would do more research on it but I have to make the decision by Friday as my application is about to be sent off.

Would anyone recommend the University of Dundee?

I was also thinking of applying to Aberdeen again but for History and International Relations. My personal statement does blatantly mention History and Politics, though it has strong elements of journalism so is it worth applying to Stirling again but for Politics and Journalism?

I know this question is all over the place but if anyone could give their thoughts that would be great. Thanks!
You can apply to 4 choices for now and add the 5th in January when you have had more time to research
Original post by sara4441
I originally picked Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Stirling, Strathclyde, and Glasgow. I'm applying in fifth year (Scotland) and I recently found out that Glasgow doesn't accept people who apply in fifth year. As well as this, Strathclyde is apparently quite competitive and it wasn't one of the universities I wanted to go to the most so I don't know if I should change that option too.

I'm applying for History and Politics. The only other university that does the course (in Scotland) is Dundee but I'm unsure since I've not heard much about the university. I would do more research on it but I have to make the decision by Friday as my application is about to be sent off.

I was also thinking of applying to Aberdeen again but for History and International Relations. My personal statement does blatantly mention History and Politics, though it has strong elements of journalism so is it worth applying to Stirling again but for Politics and Journalism?

I know this question is all over the place but if anyone could give their thoughts that would be great. Thanks!

You don't have to submit all 5 choices at once. You can send it on Friday with the 3(?) that you are confident about and add the others later (but before the January deadline).
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
You don't have to submit all 5 choices at once. You can send it on Friday with the 3(?) that you are confident about and add the others later (but before the January deadline).

Thank you!! I didn't know about that
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You can apply to 4 choices for now and add the 5th in January when you have had more time to research

Thank you!! I think I might do that
Thank you!! I didn't know about that

@PQ and I are great advocates of this approach.

Hi, sorry I’m a little late but felt it was worth posting. Firstly I’d just say that we do accept 5th year applications at Aberdeen but we would usually recommend staying on through 6th year. Ultimately your decision though and if you have more questions about that just let us know.

When it comes to personal statements I think a lot of universities will understand that you are applying to a few different courses and take that into account when reading your personal statement. If you include elements that apply to the different courses like you say then that would still make a fairly effective personal statement. There is a lot of personal statement advice you can find on the Student Room as well as the UCAS website: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-personal-statement/how-write-personal-statement

When it comes to deciding between unis we would say to have a look around this site for what the consensus is but also having a think about what is important to you about where you’re studying (eg. do you want to be close to or far away from family, do you want to be in a big or small city, are there things/places in that city that you're interested in or will be good for any hobbies you have; those sorts of factors). Hope this is helpful and give us a shout if you have any questions!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest