The Student Room Group

Will Everton get relegated in 2022/23?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Everton is now in the relegation zone, 2 points adrift of safety with just 5 games to go. Will they finally go down?
Reply 21
Looking like 5 teams are in danger.

Southampton look like they have left it too late unless they win a couple on the bounce asap.

So then 2 from Leeds, Forest, Everton and Leicester.. any win jumps a team out of danger for a little while. I think it will go down to the last day!
Original post by Zerforax

Southampton look like they have left it too late unless they win a couple on the bounce asap.

So then 2 from Leeds, Forest, Everton and Leicester.. any win jumps a team out of danger for a little while. I think it will go down to the last day!

I get the feeling out of all four Leicester just have too many good players and will get away. Think they would be maybe the best squad to go down in recent times if it did happen?
Tense times :afraid:

Remember at the start of the season. I predicted that Southampton, Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest would go down…

I think Everton and Leicester will stay up. Leicester have a good team to be honest, just unlucky with injuries. Everton have a favourable run coming up.

Nottingham Forest will likely get relegated. Then it looks like Leeds will be in trouble. Bournemouth are on 36 points and so if they get 1 more win they will be pretty much guaranteed to stay up.
Reply 25
Original post by Driving_Mad
Remember at the start of the season. I predicted that Southampton, Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest would go down…

I think Everton and Leicester will stay up. Leicester have a good team to be honest, just unlucky with injuries. Everton have a favourable run coming up.

Nottingham Forest will likely get relegated. Then it looks like Leeds will be in trouble. Bournemouth are on 36 points and so if they get 1 more win they will be pretty much guaranteed to stay up.

What is favourable about playing Brighton and Man City in your last 5 games? One of Leicester / Everton may stay up if they can win the match at the weekend.. huge 6 pointer!

Running out of time to make up the points..
What is favourable about playing Brighton and Man City in your last 5 games? One of Leicester / Everton may stay up if they can win the match at the weekend.. huge 6 pointer!

Running out of time to make up the points..

Brighton will likely lose momentum now after that devastating FA Cup semi-final penalty defeat. Man City also have Champions League games with the Everton game in between. They might have such a large lead where a draw might be enough to secure the Title and could rest players.
The next Everton relegation poll. Same procedure as every year! :biggrin:

It is stil possible to get rescued, but I bet on against another season in Premier League.
Lets hope so
Original post by Evil Homer
I get the feeling out of all four Leicester just have too many good players and will get away. Think they would be maybe the best squad to go down in recent times if it did happen?

our squad is kinda average at best tbh. we've got statistically one of the best keepers in the league as far as shot stopping goes (Big Dan Iversen) and are in trouble because of that chapped lipped goblin actively trying to destroy the club in a petty tantrum over the summer window but the depth is a major issue, plus too many passengers like Tielemans and Barnes, who are playing on reputation rather than contribution. we'll still stay up and hopefully Everton and Forest go down.
I have always said Everton will stay up as I did last season when the same talk was happening. Leeds and Nottingham Forest will get relegated along with Southampton.

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
our squad is kinda average at best tbh. we've got statistically one of the best keepers in the league as far as shot stopping goes (Big Dan Iversen) and are in trouble because of that chapped lipped goblin actively trying to destroy the club in a petty tantrum over the summer window but the depth is a major issue, plus too many passengers like Tielemans and Barnes, who are playing on reputation rather than contribution. we'll still stay up and hopefully Everton and Forest go down.

Do you blame the owners ? Remember when you were challenging for top 4 positions, won the FA Cup and made a great run in Europe. They didn’t really invest in recent transfer windows. You have also been unlucky with lots of injuries this season and last season.

I don’t think Leicester will get relegated though for sure. Surprised Madisson took the penalty yesterday to be honest.
I have always said Everton will stay up as I did last season when the same talk was happening. Leeds and Nottingham Forest will get relegated along with Southampton.

Do you blame the owners ? Remember when you were challenging for top 4 positions, won the FA Cup and made a great run in Europe. They didn’t really invest in recent transfer windows. You have also been unlucky with lots of injuries this season and last season.

I don’t think Leicester will get relegated though for sure. Surprised Madisson took the penalty yesterday to be honest.

I blame Rodgers and only Rodgers. I guess the board for not sacking him sooner but every problem we face is due to him being a below average manager who destroys every club he goes to due to his ego. like, investment was there for his first 3 seasons, over £200m of it on 11 players , and that produced 3 first team players in. Tielemans, Fofana and Castagne. Most of his signings: Praet, Perez, Soumare, Vestegaard: just got frozen out. £90m odd spurned on his petty ego (no wonder they wouldn't give him more, I wouldn't either), before we even factor in losing Soyuncu on a free because of Rodgers mismanagement.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 32
Big win this game week but then I don't think anyone expected Forest to win too.

Southampton are basically down with them already being 8 points and poor GD off 17th place already.
Leeds have some really hard fixtures in their remaining 3. Leicester fixtures also really hard.
Yeh just to see Pickford relegated
An expected 3-0 defeat to City

Wolves and Bournemouth will be crucial
Reply 35
I blame Rodgers and only Rodgers. I guess the board for not sacking him sooner but every problem we face is due to him being a below average manager who destroys every club he goes to due to his ego. like, investment was there for his first 3 seasons, over £200m of it on 11 players , and that produced 3 first team players in. Tielemans, Fofana and Castagne. Most of his signings: Praet, Perez, Soumare, Vestegaard: just got frozen out. £90m odd spurned on his petty ego (no wonder they wouldn't give him more, I wouldn't either), before we even factor in losing Soyuncu on a free because of Rodgers mismanagement.

I guess you have to say it's a problem with Leicester's structure too if they were willing to give their manager so much reign. That's why Europe/big clubs now have shifted away from the manager being the only one and usually you see a Director of Football or someone to think long term about transfers.

The bizarre thing is when you look at this Leicester squad, it's still stacked full of names - not even over the hill in most cases.

I think the pandemic timing really hurt Leicester. They would've sold a number of players with a couple of years left on their contract for huge sums of money if the pandemic hadn't hit. Then all the clubs tightened their purse strings and it probably hurt Leicester the most. Otherwise they could have sold and then bought in fresh talent.

I can't see many staying at Leicester - a couple on free transfers (like Tielemanns and Soyuncu) and then a number with only one year left. But they basically need to rip it all up and start again I guess..
Leicester fans blaming Brendan Rodger’s doesn’t make a lot of sense. He had his hands tied around his back like I have had compared to someone like Steve Cooper and my brother. Most of the top Leicester players are injury prone and they haven’t invested in goalkeepers or centre backs (spine of the team).

The relegation battle will be INTENSE. People are saying Leicester are virtually down ? Get out of here. I think Leicester will survive. They will draw against Newcastle on the Monday Night Football and beat West Ham on the final day.

West Ham will have the Europa Conference League final so won’t care about playing Leicester away. This will give Leicester 4 points to take them to 34, which Nottingham Forest have right now. I don’t think Forest will pick up any points against Arsenal and Palace.

I also think Everton will be fine picking up 6 points. This would mean both Nottingham Forest and Leeds go down.

Bit harsh. Read what I said above. Leicester sold Schmeichel and never replaced him. They also said Fofana for £80 million and never replaced him with a top centre back. I checked the team sheet yesterday and they have someone called Harry Soutar. Championship level centre back.

I presume he didn’t want to lose Soyuncu and Fofana in the same season.
Leicester fans blaming Brendan Rodger’s doesn’t make a lot of sense. He had his hands tied around his back like I have had compared to someone like Steve Cooper and my brother. Most of the top Leicester players are injury prone and they haven’t invested in goalkeepers or centre backs (spine of the team).

The relegation battle will be INTENSE. People are saying Leicester are virtually down ? Get out of here. I think Leicester will survive. They will draw against Newcastle on the Monday Night Football and beat West Ham on the final day.

West Ham will have the Europa Conference League final so won’t care about playing Leicester away. This will give Leicester 4 points to take them to 34, which Nottingham Forest have right now. I don’t think Forest will pick up any points against Arsenal and Palace.

I also think Everton will be fine picking up 6 points. This would mean both Nottingham Forest and Leeds go down.

Bit harsh. Read what I said above. Leicester sold Schmeichel and never replaced him. They also said Fofana for £80 million and never replaced him with a top centre back. I checked the team sheet yesterday and they have someone called Harry Soutar. Championship level centre back.

I presume he didn’t want to lose Soyuncu and Fofana in the same season.

it only doesn't make sense if you've not been paying close attention to what's been going on in the club, which is why a lot of fans hate the fear dearg while neutral observers are perplexed.

our title win a few years ago was built off two major things off the pitch, top notch sports science and data analytics.

the injury crisis has been going on since Rodgers forced the physio team under Dave Rennie (under whom we'd never really had a significant injury crisis) over disagreement on rehab schedules and when players would be available for matches as part of it. he was arrogant enough to disassemble the physio department because they weren't telling him what he wanted to hear.

We've haemorrhaged our data analytics department because again, Rodgers wouldn't actually seek their opinion at all, they were expected to massage the data to support the decision he'd already made. but that data didn't exist, our underlying stats had been relegation fight standard for 18 months before he left (and you could argue longer, the fa cup win papered over a lot of cracks in the league in the second half of 20/21). Again, Rodgers was arrogant enough to disassemble the cores of our previous success and sustainability.

We never replaced Schmeichel because of Rodgers ego. he claimed that he had two number ones in ward and Schmeichel, dropped Kasper for what would have been his 150th consecutive premier league game and pushed him out. then he persisted with the wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man in goal for 26 games when anyone could have told you that ward was league one standard after 2 games. Didn't replace Fofana sure, but also we had a potential replacement in the squad already in Soyuncu, but Rodgers froze him out because Soyuncu is a strong character and challenged Rodgers (mistreatment of his friend and compatriot Under), and being the petty man he is, Rodgers couldn't handle that so froze him out for months, which is why Soyuncu wouldn't sign a new contract.

literally every problem the club faces is because they gave too much power to the Chapstick munching goblin and took far far too long to sack him (shouldn't have made Christmas 2021, let alone nearly Easter 2023)

I guess you have to say it's a problem with Leicester's structure too if they were willing to give their manager so much reign. That's why Europe/big clubs now have shifted away from the manager being the only one and usually you see a Director of Football or someone to think long term about transfers.

yep. we do have a director of football, Jon Rudkin, a failed youth team coach who's brown-nosed his way up to a position he is uniquely unqualified for and unable to perform to an even inadequate level. Rodgers took advantage of that and got in Lee Congerton, a man who actively ruins any club he's been at (the man behind Sunderland paying £80k a week to Rodwell in league one) and got power he should never have had because the director of football is not up to the task even slightly.

we're a mess, a board living off their laurels while ignoring their responsibilities to the club, and a footballing operation completely disassembled by the most overrated manager in football. we're more likely to fall straight through to League one than bounce back
Reply 38
I do wonder how closely other clubs will look at Leicester's downfall and if Rodgers will keep getting top jobs in the Premier League.
yep. we do have a director of football, Jon Rudkin, a failed youth team coach who's brown-nosed his way up to a position he is uniquely unqualified for and unable to perform to an even inadequate level. Rodgers took advantage of that and got in Lee Congerton, a man who actively ruins any club he's been at (the man behind Sunderland paying £80k a week to Rodwell in league one) and got power he should never have had because the director of football is not up to the task even slightly.

we're a mess, a board living off their laurels while ignoring their responsibilities to the club, and a footballing operation completely disassembled by the most overrated manager in football. we're more likely to fall straight through to League one than bounce back

Last season Leicester did finish 8th and got to the Europa Conference League semi-finals losing to eventual winners Roma. Rodgers was doing a brilliant job.
I do wonder how closely other clubs will look at Leicester's downfall and if Rodgers will keep getting top jobs in the Premier League.

He should. He did a great job at Leicester. Both Brendan Rodgers and David Moyes should be strongly considered to be the next manager of Tottenham Hotspur.

Quick Reply

Latest