The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE tips?

Hello, my weakest subject is probably english lit. I do loads of revision on it such as watching videos of detailed analysis, making mind maps for characters and themes and practise papers, but I still find it difficult to write up an answer in the actual exam! Is there any good revision tips to boost my grades?
it sounds like you know the actual content of the exam really well, so what i would do now is work on your exam skills. look at model answers from past papers (a lot of exam boards will have mark schemes and examiner reports for past years' papers free online to look at) and pick out what they do well in their writing, what the features of a high grade essay are, etc. (especially look at the AO table with what good AO1, AO2, and AO3 look like)

as well, maybe look at different ways you could structure your paragraph and your essay overall- it could be that whatever methods you may have learned just don't work for you, so give some other ones a go!

if you feel like the general vibe of being in an exam is stressing you out and making it harder, try doing practice essays or even just practice paragraphs under exam conditions- it's a good idea to practice writing them anyway, and if you're used to the exam environment by the time you're sitting the real exam, it will make things a lot easier for you

good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by spammbo
it sounds like you know the actual content of the exam really well, so what i would do now is work on your exam skills. look at model answers from past papers (a lot of exam boards will have mark schemes and examiner reports for past years' papers free online to look at) and pick out what they do well in their writing, what the features of a high grade essay are, etc. (especially look at the AO table with what good AO1, AO2, and AO3 look like)

as well, maybe look at different ways you could structure your paragraph and your essay overall- it could be that whatever methods you may have learned just don't work for you, so give some other ones a go!

if you feel like the general vibe of being in an exam is stressing you out and making it harder, try doing practice essays or even just practice paragraphs under exam conditions- it's a good idea to practice writing them anyway, and if you're used to the exam environment by the time you're sitting the real exam, it will make things a lot easier for you

good luck!

thanks so much!! I will definitely do these techniques and have a look at the examiner report
Original post by ms2301<3
Hello, my weakest subject is probably english lit. I do loads of revision on it such as watching videos of detailed analysis, making mind maps for characters and themes and practise papers, but I still find it difficult to write up an answer in the actual exam! Is there any good revision tips to boost my grades?

Try these to improve:
- Past papers (from multiple exam boards, so that you can have more questions to try with)
- Look at sample answers
- Reading in general
- watch tutorials on how to answer certain questions (you'll find these on youtube)
- Properly familiarise yourself with literary devices and practice trying to identify them in a piece of text
- For Literature make sure you familiarise yourself with the texts you're studying ( make a list of themes, quotes and anything else useful!) to revise a text to the maximum, watch movies on the text and watch summary videos
- For Literature also study the context for your texts - it's a good way to get marks!!
- For Language, if it's difficult to write stories then you could try practicing by looking at random images on google and writing a story about it - don't feel that you have to stick to a certain genre when writing a story, in my experience of gcse lang I'd always write horror stories about every image I saw, because that was my favourite genre.
- Make sure that your SPAG (spelling, punctuation and Grammar) is perfect - it's the easiest way to get marks
- Use a thesaurus to use for synonyms for words you frequently you use

e.g. instead of saying:

'Shakespeare shows that in the Tempest Caliban is bad because he uses mean words and it gives a bad idea '

say this:

'Throughout the Tempest, Shakespeare demonstrates that Caliban holds a poor character; due to his use of lexis which insinuate negative connotations'

It's the same thing, but fancier words and it can help you get more marks!
Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Bean_cat
Try these to improve:
- Past papers (from multiple exam boards, so that you can have more questions to try with)
- Look at sample answers
- Reading in general
- watch tutorials on how to answer certain questions (you'll find these on youtube)
- Properly familiarise yourself with literary devices and practice trying to identify them in a piece of text
- For Literature make sure you familiarise yourself with the texts you're studying ( make a list of themes, quotes and anything else useful!) to revise a text to the maximum, watch movies on the text and watch summary videos
- For Literature also study the context for your texts - it's a good way to get marks!!
- For Language, if it's difficult to write stories then you could try practicing by looking at random images on google and writing a story about it - don't feel that you have to stick to a certain genre when writing a story, in my experience of gcse lang I'd always write horror stories about every image I saw, because that was my favourite genre.
- Make sure that your SPAG (spelling, punctuation and Grammar) is perfect - it's the easiest way to get marks
- Use a thesaurus to use for synonyms for words you frequently you use

e.g. instead of saying:

'Shakespeare shows that in the Tempest Caliban is bad because he uses mean words and it gives a bad idea '

say this:

'Throughout the Tempest, Shakespeare demonstrates that Caliban holds a poor character; due to his use of lexis which insinuate negative connotations'

It's the same thing, but fancier words and it can help you get more marks!
Good Luck!

Thank you!! I Will do as you suggest, I know I definitely need more vocabulary and hopefully it will boost my grades:wink:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending