The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

First Term Check In

Hello all,

How is everyone getting on and settling in? It is crazy to think it has nearly been a term already! I thought I would hop on and create a safe space to have a little chat.

Do you have any worries going forward? Have you completed your first assignment yet?

I have recently graduated and missing York so it would be lovely to have a couple of chats.

Lydia :smile:
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello all,

How is everyone getting on and settling in? It is crazy to think it has nearly been a term already! I thought I would hop on and create a safe space to have a little chat.

Do you have any worries going forward? Have you completed your first assignment yet?

I have recently graduated and missing York so it would be lovely to have a couple of chats.

Hi Lydia, it's been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster tbh! Started off great, fresher's week was fun, then got freshers flu and missed my first lecture! :frown:Then October was super busy doing Primary Ed. Handed my first assignment in and thought I was going to fail but passed! (And did better than I thought I would!) :biggrin: Whilst everyone else had reading week off in November, I had placement and had to wake up at 5 AM to catch the coach to travel to it!! Sleep deprivation was at its peak, but I loved going! :h: And then December came... and it was the first time I would be spending my birthday away from home :frown: but my housemates made it really special (got an actual cake - yum!), so didn't feel too homesick! :tongue: And how can I forget - York at Christmas is just magical, like even more than it usually is, and especially at night! :u: I'm feeling hopeful for the next term (even though we have massive assignments to complete) :s-smilie: But I've made some truly amazing friends, so I know I won't be alone! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Original post by sashadivachic
Hi Lydia, it's been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster tbh! Started off great, fresher's week was fun, then got freshers flu and missed my first lecture! :frown:Then October was super busy doing Primary Ed. Handed my first assignment in and thought I was going to fail but passed! (And did better than I thought I would!) :biggrin: Whilst everyone else had reading week off in November, I had placement and had to wake up at 5 AM to catch the coach to travel to it!! Sleep deprivation was at its peak, but I loved going! :h: And then December came... and it was the first time I would be spending my birthday away from home :frown: but my housemates made it really special (got an actual cake - yum!), so didn't feel too homesick! :tongue: And how can I forget - York at Christmas is just magical, like even more than it usually is, and especially at night! :u: I'm feeling hopeful for the next term (even though we have massive assignments to complete) :s-smilie: But I've made some truly amazing friends, so I know I won't be alone! :smile:

Hello,

It is great to hear you are doing Primary Ed as I am a Prim Ed graduate myself and now teaching! Congratulations on your mark, it is powerful motivation for you next one I am sure.

Unfortunately, we don't get reading week in our first year but you should get it in second year! I found placement was so rewarding that I didn't mind missing it too much. Where is your placement? That is a very early wake up! I used to leave it as long as I possibly could before getting up hahaha.

I am glad your housemates made it better for you, that is so lovely to hear. It is definitely a lot harder in the first term and you won't be alone in feeling homesick. I went home most weekends in my first year but by third year, I didn't really even come home for the holidays! York is so beautiful, you will love sitting by the river when it gets a bit warmer as it has such a wonderful atmosphere and great views.

As long as you know when they are due, get prepared with some reading towards them and you give it your best, you will be absolutely fine! Remember to talk to your AT if you are struggling as you can really rely on the lecturers there.
Enjoy your Christmas and have a well deserved break!

Congratulations again,
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending