The Student Room Group

Applying to optometry and orthoptics

Hi is anyone else applying to both optometry and orthoptics? It's quite a niche subject so I'm struggling to find people choosing the courses! I need to submit my UCAS very soon for my school and I'm unsure if my personal statement is good enough. I mentioned wanting to do both of the courses in my personal statement, would that affect my chances of getting accepted since I'm not 100% dedicating myself to one course?
Original post by katiealena
Hi is anyone else applying to both optometry and orthoptics? It's quite a niche subject so I'm struggling to find people choosing the courses! I need to submit my UCAS very soon for my school and I'm unsure if my personal statement is good enough. I mentioned wanting to do both of the courses in my personal statement, would that affect my chances of getting accepted since I'm not 100% dedicating myself to one course?

I've moved this to the Optometry forum for you to hopefully get you an answer :smile:
Reply 2
Hi so I'm in a nearly identical situation to you as well, do you know what the main difference between orthoptic and optometry is. It won't hurt to mention both in your personal statement as long as you clearly show an understanding of how the two courses are different. And in Sheffield, you have an interview for orthoptic so be aware of that
Reply 3
I also mentioned optometry and Orthoptics in my personal statement and I got an offer for both courses. Hopefully that will help :smile:
Original post by Asj12
I also mentioned optometry and Orthoptics in my personal statement and I got an offer for both courses. Hopefully that will help :smile:

Hey if you don't mind me asking what unis did u apply to and what were your predicted grades

Quick Reply

Latest