The Student Room Group

Computer Science or Creative Computing

I have been researching options for uni. I would like to do something in computing yet I the only compsci I have done is GCSE, and i found that boring except for python. Also my maths is very average.

CompSci scares me as people all say its a glorified math degree and that you need to be super math smart to do well in this degree.

But Creative Computing seems more kinder to me, yet, less employable. I do an Extended Diploma in Games Dev / Design and I do enjoy creating visuals, so would creative computing be a better option?
Reply 1
Some universities don't offer math for computer science degree i would say if you don't like computer science don't do it .
compsci isn't a good degree if you don't enjoy maths and only enjoyed python

creative computing is probably a much better choice, especially given your diploma

it would be good to check the maths requirement and content in the courses you're interested in - you might find it manageable. compsci is definitely more employable, so if the module list looks okay to you, you can considered it
Original post by Alexlyo
I have been researching options for uni. I would like to do something in computing yet I the only compsci I have done is GCSE, and i found that boring except for python. Also my maths is very average.

CompSci scares me as people all say its a glorified math degree and that you need to be super math smart to do well in this degree.

But Creative Computing seems more kinder to me, yet, less employable. I do an Extended Diploma in Games Dev / Design and I do enjoy creating visuals, so would creative computing be a better option?

Hi Alexlyo,

Getting into computing, regardless of a degree, can lead to some great jobs in the future.

I'm not a careers expert, but you can contact our Careers and Employability department to discuss how a degree with Wrexham Glyndwr Univesity may lead to the outcome you are wanting in your future endeavours.

We offer a host of computing-based degrees including:

Computer Science
Computing
Computer Game Development

All of these degrees are available with the option of an industry placement, which may be something you are interested in if you are already thinking about your career.

It may be worth checking out these degrees and seeing what is required in terms of grades. You can also see what you would potentially be studying as well, it might give you an idea of the direction you want to head in.

Let us know if you have any questions about the options available to you and hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Maddy
Wrexham Glyndwr University Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending