The Student Room Group

University Of Leicester - Computing 2023

Hello,
Anyone looking to study a computing degree for 2023 entry later this year?

I am planning to study BSc Software Engineering or BSc Creative Computing and was looking for anyone else with a similar course so we can possibly start a group chat.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aceful
Hello,
Anyone looking to study a computing degree for 2023 entry later this year?

I am planning to study BSc Software Engineering or BSc Creative Computing and was looking for anyone else with a similar course so we can possibly start a group chat.

Thanks

I've got an offer for software engineering and Leicester is my first choice if I don't manage to get WUGES from Warwick. I'd be up for joining a chat
Reply 2
Cool! Have you been to any offer days/open days for Leicester? If so how was it.
Original post by Aceful
Cool! Have you been to any offer days/open days for Leicester? If so how was it.

I actually haven't yet lol, but I'm going to an offer day on the 3rd March. The campus seems good enough so I'm not too worried.

Have you got an offer for both software engineering and creative computing? Which one are you leaning towards?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by KingPiEta
I actually haven't yet lol, but I'm going to an offer day on the 3rd March. The campus seems good enough so I'm not too worried.

Have you got an offer for both software engineering and creative computing? Which one are you leaning towards?

I’ve been to the city before but haven’t attended any campus events. I will be attending the offer day for Creative Computing on the 22nd April, not sure if the Software Engineering offer day is running on the same day but I’d honestly like to get more info for that course to help my decision lol.

Currently holding a contextual offer for Creative Computing, I’ve emailed admissions and they said if I want to switch to Software Engineering, I would be eligible.

I am leaning more towards Creative Computing because I preferably want to get into the creative side of computing ranging from games, UI/UX, animation, graphics and VR/AR design. Whereas software engineering is definitely more programming based while covering more theory. Which would still allow me to get into some of those job roles.

Where else have you applied to?
What are you currently studying in terms of A-Level/Btecs?
Original post by Aceful
I’ve been to the city before but haven’t attended any campus events. I will be attending the offer day for Creative Computing on the 22nd April, not sure if the Software Engineering offer day is running on the same day but I’d honestly like to get more info for that course to help my decision lol.

Currently holding a contextual offer for Creative Computing, I’ve emailed admissions and they said if I want to switch to Software Engineering, I would be eligible.

I am leaning more towards Creative Computing because I preferably want to get into the creative side of computing ranging from games, UI/UX, animation, graphics and VR/AR design. Whereas software engineering is definitely more programming based while covering more theory. Which would still allow me to get into some of those job roles.

Where else have you applied to?
What are you currently studying in terms of A-Level/Btecs?

Did you like the city? Does it seem nice for students? That seems cool about creative computing, I considered it a while ago but felt that software itself is more up my alley. I absolute love making games though, so in that sense creative computing would've made sense.... and now I'm second-guessing my decision haha.

I've also applied to Lancaster for software engineering, Leeds and Warwick for comp sci, and Staffordshire for games design (who would've guessed?). I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science and have completed an EPQ about game design. What about you?
Reply 6
Did you like the city? Does it seem nice for students? That seems cool about creative computing, I considered it a while ago but felt that software itself is more up my alley. I absolute love making games though, so in that sense creative computing would've made sense.... and now I'm second-guessing my decision haha.

I've also applied to Lancaster for software engineering, Leeds and Warwick for comp sci, and Staffordshire for games design (who would've guessed?). I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science and have completed an EPQ about game design. What about you?

The city itself is great because it has a nice mix of outdoor spaces with city elements. I love the outdoors and going on walks so knowing there's big parks and spaces to do that really appeals to me. The high street has all the shops you need and having two universities (De Montfort University and University Of Leicester) nearby means there are a lot of students around. It gives me the same vibe of London or Birmingham but toned down into a smaller city.

I've applied for a range of courses too, Coventry for Interactive Media and Web Technologies, Lincoln for Games Computing with VR and AR, Birmingham City for Digital Media Computing and York for Interactive Media. Leicester is my firm and Lincoln my insurance. I'm currently studying Media Studies, Graphic Design and Photography so all creative subjects.

Are you going to commute or live at Leicester? If yes, what accoms are you looking at?
Have you also considered Comp Sci at Leicester?
Original post by Aceful
The city itself is great because it has a nice mix of outdoor spaces with city elements. I love the outdoors and going on walks so knowing there's big parks and spaces to do that really appeals to me. The high street has all the shops you need and having two universities (De Montfort University and University Of Leicester) nearby means there are a lot of students around. It gives me the same vibe of London or Birmingham but toned down into a smaller city.

I've applied for a range of courses too, Coventry for Interactive Media and Web Technologies, Lincoln for Games Computing with VR and AR, Birmingham City for Digital Media Computing and York for Interactive Media. Leicester is my firm and Lincoln my insurance. I'm currently studying Media Studies, Graphic Design and Photography so all creative subjects.

Are you going to commute or live at Leicester? If yes, what accoms are you looking at?
Have you also considered Comp Sci at Leicester?

That's awesome to hear. I love the idea of having a green space to explore as well. I was considering getting a bicycle to get around, is there generally support for bikes on pavements and such?

That is indeed a very wide range, how did you manage to write such a broad personal statement lol? That all sounds right up your alley in that case, are you familiar with programming at all too?

I'm planning on living there since I live near Manchester at the minute. I'd like not to spend much money haha, so I'd like to go for somewhere like Nixon Court in the city, otherwise I'd go village where I feel indifferent about most places (maybe Southmeade Court or something). Because I'm probably not going to going to firm anything until near the end of the decision deadline, I'm not going to be able to apply for accom until quite late, so we'll see what happens. I have considered comp sci as well. Most of the modules seem the same but software seems slightly less theoretical which I like. I can change from one course to the other after a semester or so anyway so I'm not too worried.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
That's awesome to hear. I love the idea of having a green space to explore as well. I was considering getting a bicycle to get around, is there generally support for bikes on pavements and such?

That is indeed a very wide range, how did you manage to write such a broad personal statement lol? That all sounds right up your alley in that case, are you familiar with programming at all too?

I'm planning on living there since I live near Manchester at the minute. I'd like not to spend much money haha, so I'd like to go for somewhere like Nixon Court in the city, otherwise I'd go village where I feel indifferent about most places (maybe Southmeade Court or something). Because I'm probably not going to going to firm anything until near the end of the decision deadline, I'm not going to be able to apply for accom until quite late, so we'll see what happens. I have considered comp sci as well. Most of the modules seem the same but software seems slightly less theoretical which I like. I can change from one course to the other after a semester or so anyway so I'm not too worried.

Yeah there seemed to be a lot of bicycle paths as well as those santander bikes that you can rent for a day. A lot of people were using them so I assume there is support for bikes.

I did Comp Sci for GCSE so I have experience in programming, I also program in my own time learning from youtube channels such as codeacademy and freecodecamp. In the first year for all the computing courses they teach from the basics since A level computing isn't a requirement so hopefully I won't be at a huge disadvantage.

I'm planning on living in the city just because of the convenience of the local shops and city centre. The village doesn't seem bad but I'd like to roll out of bed and into my lectures instead of having to catch a bus lol. I've been looking at CODE accommodation. It's near De Montfort University which is a 20min walk away from Uni Of Leicester but they have studios cheaper than most unis (from 139 per week). There is a Lidl a 5 min walk away as well as a Tesco express and Budgens just across the road but I guess you don't get to experience sharing a kitchen with flatmates plus it's not university owned so there is a mix of DMU and UoL students there. I'm not too fussed about where I live since I do have a high budget in terms of rent but I don't want a room that looks like a prison cell.

What grades are you predicted btw?
If you get better grades would you consider clearing?
I have an offer for Uni of Leicester Computer science. Hope to see you there!
I know someone who lives in the CODE accommodation in Leicester and it is really nice there, and close to other students so there's lots of chances to make friends.
Original post by Aceful
Yeah there seemed to be a lot of bicycle paths as well as those santander bikes that you can rent for a day. A lot of people were using them so I assume there is support for bikes.

I did Comp Sci for GCSE so I have experience in programming, I also program in my own time learning from youtube channels such as codeacademy and freecodecamp. In the first year for all the computing courses they teach from the basics since A level computing isn't a requirement so hopefully I won't be at a huge disadvantage.

I'm planning on living in the city just because of the convenience of the local shops and city centre. The village doesn't seem bad but I'd like to roll out of bed and into my lectures instead of having to catch a bus lol. I've been looking at CODE accommodation. It's near De Montfort University which is a 20min walk away from Uni Of Leicester but they have studios cheaper than most unis (from 139 per week). There is a Lidl a 5 min walk away as well as a Tesco express and Budgens just across the road but I guess you don't get to experience sharing a kitchen with flatmates plus it's not university owned so there is a mix of DMU and UoL students there. I'm not too fussed about where I live since I do have a high budget in terms of rent but I don't want a room that looks like a prison cell.

Reply 10
Original post by anonymous7366
I have an offer for Uni of Leicester Computer science. Hope to see you there!
I know someone who lives in the CODE accommodation in Leicester and it is really nice there, and close to other students so there's lots of chances to make friends.

That's good to hear! Have you been to an open day/offer day yet?

Want someone's honest opinion about the department, lecturers etc lol
Original post by Aceful

Nice, that feels like a standard thing for many uni cities which means transport doesn't sound like a problem for me.
Original post by Aceful

Nice yea, pretty sure you don't need it. I was just wondering, especially with you having considered software engineering, how much of a foundation in comp sci you have. Honestly, you'll probably be at an advantage because of people not having done programming properly.
Original post by Aceful

CODE sounds great, that is a lot cheaper than a lot of other accommodation that's not managed by a uni. That sounds like a nice area, I've not done too much research yet but when I go for the offer day I'll have a good look around. I'm not too fussed about having a prison cell for a room haha, as long as I don't spend all my time there.
Original post by Aceful

I am predicted A*A*A* so don't think I'm not considering clearing unless I discover a different course or uni I like :rolleyes: If I don't get enough for my firm I'd possibly go into clearing instead of sticking with my insurance, but I'll have to see.
Reply 12
Nice, that feels like a standard thing for many uni cities which means transport doesn't sound like a problem for me.

Nice yea, pretty sure you don't need it. I was just wondering, especially with you having considered software engineering, how much of a foundation in comp sci you have. Honestly, you'll probably be at an advantage because of people not having done programming properly.

CODE sounds great, that is a lot cheaper than a lot of other accommodation that's not managed by a uni. That sounds like a nice area, I've not done too much research yet but when I go for the offer day I'll have a good look around. I'm not too fussed about having a prison cell for a room haha, as long as I don't spend all my time there.

I am predicted A*A*A* so don't think I'm not considering clearing unless I discover a different course or uni I like :rolleyes: If I don't get enough for my firm I'd possibly go into clearing instead of sticking with my insurance, but I'll have to see.

Nice, you should have no problem getting into any of your choices haha.

I'm predicted AAB in my subjects so in terms of Leicester that's fine.

Honestly just want to focus on my exams later this year and have all this uni stuff out of the way.
Original post by Aceful
Nice, you should have no problem getting into any of your choices haha.

I'm predicted AAB in my subjects so in terms of Leicester that's fine.

Honestly just want to focus on my exams later this year and have all this uni stuff out of the way.

Yeah, well saying that, I don't think I'm going to pull it off so I've aimed slightly lower with my choices. Year 13 has been a drag so far and the idea of writing my exams seems really intimidating.

Same, good luck with all your revision and whatnots - I've got mocks in a few weeks. Are you more excited or nervous about uni?
Reply 14
Yeah, well saying that, I don't think I'm going to pull it off so I've aimed slightly lower with my choices. Year 13 has been a drag so far and the idea of writing my exams seems really intimidating.

Same, good luck with all your revision and whatnots - I've got mocks in a few weeks. Are you more excited or nervous about uni?

Thanks, good luck with your mocks. I had mine last week and did alright.

About the idea of writing your exams being intimidating. I get what you mean because I'm assuming you had your GCSEs cancelled too? This is going to be the first time we actually sit proper exams but it's also exciting at the same time. Saying that tho, I've felt pretty demotivated towards revision so far in Year 13 but having a schedule definitely helps.

Like everyone, I'm a mix of both. Excited for the adventure and maturity but nervous about making friends, being independent and being in a completely new city. But overall I'm more excited because it's like a new chapter in your life as cliché as that may sound.

How about you? Anything in particular you looking forward to when you start uni?
Original post by Aceful
That's good to hear! Have you been to an open day/offer day yet?

Want someone's honest opinion about the department, lecturers etc lol

No, I haven't been to an open day but there are a couple in March specifically for computer science offer holders. Might be worth checking out.
Original post by Aceful
About the idea of writing your exams being intimidating. I get what you mean because I'm assuming you had your GCSEs cancelled too? This is going to be the first time we actually sit proper exams but it's also exciting at the same time. Saying that tho, I've felt pretty demotivated towards revision so far in Year 13 but having a schedule definitely helps.

Yeah, I didn't sit my GCSEs either. That's true, it is very exciting but slightly nerve-racking. I need a schedule lol, I've got so much work to do with my comp sci coursework and it's getting slightly out of hand.

Original post by Aceful
Like everyone, I'm a mix of both. Excited for the adventure and maturity but nervous about making friends, being independent and being in a completely new city. But overall I'm more excited because it's like a new chapter in your life as cliché as that may sound.

How about you? Anything in particular you looking forward to when you start uni?

Couldn't have said it better myself. The idea of moving on with life is a thrill lol, but I'm looking forward to it. Obviously I'm looking forward to meeting new people and moving out but I'm also excited for the work and the course itself, as lame as that sounds. I think it's going to be a lot more interesting than at A-level and you'll be able to focus on a particular piece of work at a time more often without being distracted by other assignments.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
Original post by anonymous7366
No, I haven't been to an open day but there are a couple in March specifically for computer science offer holders. Might be worth checking out.

Ok, let me know how it goes if you are planning to attend.
Reply 18
Yeah, I didn't sit my GCSEs either. That's true, it is very exciting but slightly nerve-racking. I need a schedule lol, I've got so much work to do with my comp sci coursework and it's getting slightly out of hand.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The idea of moving on with life is a thrill lol, but I'm looking forward to it. Obviously I'm looking forward to meeting new people and moving out but I'm also excited for the work and the course itself, as lame as that sounds. I think it's going to be a lot more interesting than at A-level and you'll be able to focus on a particular piece of work at a time more often without being distracted by other assignments.

I see, good luck with your comp sci coursework. You can do it haha.

In terms of the course, I agree with you. Definitely will be more interesting and eventually rewarding. :smile:

Are you considering a placement year or year abroad?
Are you planning on joining any clubs/societies?
Original post by Aceful
I see, good luck with your comp sci coursework. You can do it haha.

In terms of the course, I agree with you. Definitely will be more interesting and eventually rewarding. :smile:

Are you considering a placement year or year abroad?
Are you planning on joining any clubs/societies?

Thanks, I'm sure it'll be fine. Don't all of your subjects have a lot of coursework??

A year abroad would ruin my visa situation (student visa probably) but I have considered a placement year. I sort of messed up though and didn't apply for courses that include a placement year, so I'm just hoping I can transfer to one down the line. I might join one of the gaming societies and possibly one of the bands (I'm an improvisation pianist), but other than that, not too sure about what I'd enjoy. The computer science soc looks a little dead lol. What would you think of joining?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending