The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Biosciences student- Ask me anything!

Hello everyone!

Sanela here! 👋 I am a current 2nd year Biochemistry and Microbiology student and I'm so excited to hear your questions!

I lived in university accommodation (Endcliffe- student village) so feel free to ask me about student life or accommodation options!

I took a gap year to explore my options before committing to a university. I'm so glad I chose Sheffield, it feels like a new home here! I get to meet lots of international students 🌍and enjoy my student life just around the corner from the Peak District where I do lots of wild swimming! 🏊

Although I study Biochemistry with Microbiology, I was also able to learn German alongside my course!
I am also on the university's iGEM team- a synthetic biology summer project that gave me the opportunity to travel to Germany and Paris for the competition! 🧪🧫🧬
I will also be completing a year in industry placement as part of my course so feel free to ask me about this!

I will be online every Friday to answer your questions. You can also find lots of students (including myself) available to chat via The Access Platform (TAP) at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat

-Sanela
(BSc Biochemistry & Microbiology)
(edited 1 year ago)
1.) Best thing about studying Biochemistry and Microbiology?
2.) Worst thing about studying Biochemistry and Microbiology?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hello everyone!

Sanela here! 👋 I am a current 2nd year Biochemistry and Microbiology student and I'm so excited to hear your questions!

I lived in university accommodation (Endcliffe- student village) so feel free to ask me about student life or accommodation options!

I took a gap year to explore my options before committing to a university. I'm so glad I chose Sheffield, it feels like a new home here! I get to meet lots of international students 🌍and enjoy my student life just around the corner from the Peak District where I do lots of wild swimming! 🏊

Although I study Biochemistry with Microbiology, I was also able to learn German alongside my course!
I am also on the university's iGEM team- a synthetic biology summer project that gave me the opportunity to travel to Germany and Paris for the competition! 🧪🧫🧬
I will also be completing a year in industry placement as part of my course so feel free to ask me about this!

I will be online every Friday to answer your questions. You can also find lots of students (including myself) available to chat via The Access Platform (TAP) at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat

-Sanela
(BSc Biochemistry & Microbiology)

Hi! I've applied to Sheffield for biomed with a placement year :biggrin: I wanted to know a few things about the course-

1) How many hours a week are typically spent on lectures?
2) How easy/difficult is it to secure a placement? How does the uni help prepare you?
3) Any tips for getting a placement?
4) How far is accom from the uni by walking?
5) What's iGEM? How does the uni let you know about such competitions?

Hope it's not too many questions, and thanks! :laugh:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi there
My daughter has been offered a place at Sheffield. As a parent I’m just wondering about the sort of careers Sheffield bio students go into after their degree? Do they find employment in bio sciences after? Thanks
Original post by 04MR17
1.) Best thing about studying Biochemistry and Microbiology?
2.) Worst thing about studying Biochemistry and Microbiology?

Hello there!! Those are great questions!

I would say that the best thing about studying Biochemistry & Microbiology is how creative it is! For example, I am really getting more and more interested in the applications of synthetic biology and how you can use it to solve real-world issues. You can learn about ways to produce vegan leather from mushrooms, generate silk from spider threads or genetically modify organisms to digest plastics which would reduce the need for sending unrecyclable plastics into landfill! It is a truly creative and mesmerising subject that gives you such broad opportunities after university.

The worst thing about studying Biochemistry & Microbiology? Hmm I would say that it is not an easy subject and there is a lot of material to learn because learning how some organisms work and their biochemical pathways can be quite tricky! But overall it is worth the struggle!

Let me know if you would like any more details about the course!
Original post by domesticengineer
Hi there
My daughter has been offered a place at Sheffield. As a parent I’m just wondering about the sort of careers Sheffield bio students go into after their degree? Do they find employment in bio sciences after? Thanks

Hello there!
Congratulations to your daughter this is a very exciting time! In terms of careers for bioscience students after university, it should not be a cause for concern. Bioscience job opportunities are skyrocketing especially with the advance of technology and new discoveries made everyday.

Bioscience graduates have well developed research skills and would typically go into roles such as: scientific research, microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, laboratory technician, conservation management, toxicology. Some graduates (including myself) will go on to finding roles as pharmaceutical companies, environmental agencies, hospitals, forensic laboratories and clinical trials for medicines and vaccines!

Overall, the skills a bioscience student learns throughout their degree have endless applications and broad career opportunities.
I personally hope to work in a pharmaceutical company to help develop medicines and vaccines so my role will mostly be in a research lab!

I hope that answered your question, your daughter has chosen a fantastic degree and there is no doubt she will find amazing opportunities after university!
Hiya, currently studying Biochem at Sheffield, I'm a little worried about upcoming exams and was wondering if there's any good places to find MCQ exam questions for practice or any particular methods you'd suggest to check my knowledge

Thanks in advance!
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Hi! I've applied to Sheffield for biomed with a placement year :biggrin: I wanted to know a few things about the course-

1) How many hours a week are typically spent on lectures?
2) How easy/difficult is it to secure a placement? How does the uni help prepare you?
3) Any tips for getting a placement?
4) How far is accom from the uni by walking?
5) What's iGEM? How does the uni let you know about such competitions?

Hope it's not too many questions, and thanks! :laugh:

Hey there! Fantastic questions! You picked a fantastic subject to study!

1) I am studying biochemistry and it is a little different from biomed in terms of the material covered in the lectures however we do have the same amount of lectures, lab time and assignments. I am currently in my second year and I have 7 lectures a week alongside a bioinformatics module that takes up three hours a week and also six hours of lab per week!

2) The university offers plenty of help on how to secure a placement for example they offer practice interviews, give feedback on your CV and cover letter skills and they also post regular updates on new placement opportunities that have been released so that you don't miss out on them! I would say that to make the placement application process easier, you should submit as early as possible and not wait until the deadline. You should also keep a look out for many opportunities and not just apply to one as the process is very selective. Overall I am very sure you can secure a placement as the university offers plenty of help and guidance!

3) Endcliffe/ Ranmoore accommodation is about a 15 minute walk (20 if you're taking your time) and then the city accomodation is in the heart of the city and is quick 5 minute walk!

4) iGEM is an international synthetic biology competition aimed at university students around the world to gather into teams and present a real world issue related to synbio and how they are going to solve it! The University of Sheffield has its own iGEM team and it competes every year in the competition. The University of Sheffield provides the team with a grant to fund the project throughout the summer!

I hope that answered your questions, let me know if you would like to know more!
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey there! Fantastic questions! You picked a fantastic subject to study!

1) I am studying biochemistry and it is a little different from biomed in terms of the material covered in the lectures however we do have the same amount of lectures, lab time and assignments. I am currently in my second year and I have 7 lectures a week alongside a bioinformatics module that takes up three hours a week and also six hours of lab per week!

2) The university offers plenty of help on how to secure a placement for example they offer practice interviews, give feedback on your CV and cover letter skills and they also post regular updates on new placement opportunities that have been released so that you don't miss out on them! I would say that to make the placement application process easier, you should submit as early as possible and not wait until the deadline. You should also keep a look out for many opportunities and not just apply to one as the process is very selective. Overall I am very sure you can secure a placement as the university offers plenty of help and guidance!

3) Endcliffe/ Ranmoore accommodation is about a 15 minute walk (20 if you're taking your time) and then the city accomodation is in the heart of the city and is quick 5 minute walk!

4) iGEM is an international synthetic biology competition aimed at university students around the world to gather into teams and present a real world issue related to synbio and how they are going to solve it! The University of Sheffield has its own iGEM team and it competes every year in the competition. The University of Sheffield provides the team with a grant to fund the project throughout the summer!

I hope that answered your questions, let me know if you would like to know more!

Thank you so much! :smile: You've been a huge help. I got my offer letter from Sheffield around two weeks ago and I'm so happy! It's one of the top contenders for being firmed :biggrin: I'll definitely let you know if I have any more questions.
Hello! Got an offer to study MBiolSci Microbiology for 2023 :smile:

Overall, how much actual biology is in the course? I ask this because, while some courses are a microbiology course in name, on closer inspection, they are actually more akin to a mixed biosciences and biotechnology than actually microbiology. I would also like to know what the labs are like, and your favourite modules :smile:

Also, what is the student accommodation like? Are they reasonable for the price, relatively spacious? Moreover, do you think the University of Sheffield are very supportive to those moving from further afield?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Overall, how much actual biology is in the course? I ask this because, while some courses are a microbiology course in name, on closer inspection, they are actually more akin to a mixed biosciences and biotechnology than actually microbiology. I would also like to know what the labs are like, and your favourite modules :smile:

Also, what is the student accommodation like? Are they reasonable for the price, relatively spacious? Moreover, do you think the University of Sheffield are very supportive to those moving from further afield?

Hi! Congratulations on your offer!
I am not on the microbiology course, so I will let Sanela answer those questions when she is online!

In terms of accommodation, the student accommodation is all really nice. In terms of price, the shared bathroom accommodation is much cheaper, but is just as good (and in some cases nicer! Crewe flats in Endcliffe are really nice), and the bathrooms are cleaned for you too. Most of the student accommodation is ensuite and the room sizes are fairly standard - you get a single bed, a large desk, a wardrobe and there is a reasonable amount of floor space. Accommodation in Sheffield in general is much cheaper than a lot of other Universities. The University has students coming from all over the country and the world and is very supportive (particularly the students union). There are mentors within the student accommodation that will come and check to see if you are okay. The students union put on lots of social events too, to help integrate students and encourage people to mix. There are also lots of advice services at the Students Union which you can go to if you have any problems.

I hope this helps!
Evie
Hello!

Congratulations on your offer! MBiolSci is actually very similar to my course (BSc Biochemistry and Microbiology) as the modules you will be doing overlap with the ones I also do. You can see the exact list of core and optional modules for MBiolSci using this link here https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2023/microbiology-mbiolsci#modules
The list of modules also have a description of topics you will cover so you can see it is quite packed with Biology!

The lab you will be based in is called 'Perak Labs', you will expect to spend 6 hours a week there working on projects and learning how to write your lab report using the data you have collected in your experiments. There's usually a project theme each semester and a lab report at the end to assess your practical skills. It's a really fun and interactive learning experience and you also make friends with people on your lab bench too!

My favourite module so far was Genetics and it actually changed my mind about what I would want to do in the future... I am now more interested in human diseases and genetic disorders so I'm really happy that I was allowed to study a range of modules to find out what I'm really passionate about!

Let me know if you have any more questions!:smile:
-Sanela
Original post by Anonymous

hi! im in the middle of applying for accommodation and I would like to stay in Endcliffe - ive been told by the accommodation office that they release rooms slowly to allow everyone a chance. right now there aren't any Endcliffe ensuite rooms being released, am I safe to just wait a bit for when they are released?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending